Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

With their top pick in the NAB AFL Womens National Draft, Fremantle have selected talented and athletic forward Roxanne Roux.

Standing at 170cm, Roux boasts a leap so impressive that she has pinch hit in the ruck during East Fremantle’s past two WAFLW/ WAWFL premiership seasons - and her contested marking abilities have seen her compared to some of the greats of the AFLW.

The 17-year-old was selected at no.12 in the draft, which was the highest possible selection for a player that nominated for the WA pool.

Roux has been touted as one of the most exciting young players nationally and senior coach Trent Cooper was thrilled to have Roux at Fremantle.

“We’re super excited to get Roxy on board. I coached her for two years in the State 18s program so I’ve seen first hand what she’s capable of,” Cooper said.

“We followed her development this year from a distance and she’s continued to be really impressive.

“She gives us great flexibility, she can play key forward, general forward and she’s also more than capable of pinch hitting in the ruck with her enormous leap.

“She is clearly the best contested mark from the draft Australia-wide. Some people have compared her to Tayla Harris in that regard - while Roxy herself wouldn’t think that - she definitely attacks the ball and marks it in a similar manner.

“She’ll fit perfectly into our game style and we will be expecting her to be playing in round one if she gets through her first AFLW pre-season.”

Cooper feels Fremantle will benefit from more than Roux’s ability on the field.

“Roxy’s one of the best characters in the draft as well,” Cooper said.

“She’s got an unbelievable, caring nature and is a really hard worker as well, so we get the best of both worlds with Roxy coming into our organisation.”

Roux said she’s dreamed of playing AFLW since she was a little girl.

“I’m really excited to get to know everyone and play with some really big stars,” Roux said.

“I’ve watched them from the exhibition games to now, so I’m really excited to get to know them all and play alongside them.

“For this pre-season, I think I still have a long way to go and a long list of things I need to work on. I feel I can only get better from here.

“Fremantle have given me an amazing opportunity and I’m here to better myself for the team.”

Roux’s football journey was far from easy. Growing up in Dongara, Roux had to battle just to be allowed to play football in her teenage years.

With the support of the Dongara Junior Football Club, Roux was able to keep her playing rights and was voted as captain of the boys’ team in her final year at the club.

Roux said she was thrilled to have a potentially fruitful AFLW career ahead of her.

“(It’s motivating) to prove those that didn’t want me on the field wrong, that I actually deserve to be out there,” Roux said.

“This is where I’m taking my future and this is where I’ll stay for as long as possible.

“I’m just super excited for what the future holds.”

Name: Sarah Garstone – West Coast Eagles
Number: 32
Club: Claremont
Bio: Garstone is relatively new to the game. She is skilled, strong, athletic and rarely loses a contest down back.

Name: Emma O’Driscoll - WA State 18s Academy
Number: 23
Club: Swan Districts
Bio: O’Driscoll is a dependable centre half back who hits every pack at full speed. She can run and carry the ball up the ground and also take pivotal intercept marks down back.

After getting both Roux and Strom I didn't care too much who else we picked. O'Driscoll is a bonus. Garstone and Webb solid picks. Surprised with McMahon. Know nothing about Cuthbertson - is she from Netball WA?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised we grabbed three defenders but that was a really good draft for us. Cooper's influence in us picking a bunch of u18s from both last year and this year is pretty obvious. Although I was expecting us to pick more mids/smalls I think WA had stronger pool of KPPs this and last year and there are probably better small prospects coming through the WA system that will be draft-able in the next year or two. At least I'm assuming that was our strategy.

If this was a National draft and a truly National competition (not VFL plus other states) then Roux (17, 170cm) could have very well been the #1 pick (I'd have picked her there). Her aerial game is unmatched and she's quick and agile as well. I suspect she'll start alongside Houghton in the forward line but as she develops she could become our Erin Phillips with stints through the midfield. I really think she should wear #29 like she did at u18s. I think the play on, attack attack attack way that Freo like to play will suit her perfectly. She's only 17, imagine her in a few years?!

I really wanted Imahra Cameron's dynamism on our list as well but Strom (17, 184cm) is much more important to Freo's future. She was the u18 AA ruck and then slotted in seamlessly playing as Swan District's primary ruck in the WAFLW at only 17yo! She is going to be a gun. I really like how we've got two rucks that are actually tall on our list (as opposed to Janz and Laurie last year) and we have a bunch of players who can pinch hit.

The McMahon (25, 165cm) pick surprised me but she's a tough inside mid who can also play forward. Another good contested footy player with a seasoned body.

O'Driscoll (19, 172cm) is just a really good defender, who likes to run off and could really upgrade our defence once she develops.

Similarly Garstone (19, 175cm) is another solid young defender. Not as quick as O'Driscoll but a bit bigger. They could form a really strong partnership down back for us for a very long time. We were clearly investing in the future as we almost picked up an entire under 20yo spine in this draft - could pay off big time in a few years time.

I knew nothing about Cuthbertson (29, 168cm) prior to the draft. Obviously impressed in the sessions at Cockburn. She's 29 and has a wealth of experience across a number of sports. Sounds like a real professional character that should help keep standards high.

Webb (18, 165cm) is a great get and like O'Driscoll, I was actually expecting WC to jump on her. Adds to our current group of young midfielders (Duffy, Sargeant, Stewart) that we'll get continual improvement from each year.

I love how assertive at the contested ball each of those first three picks is. Each in their own way too, be it marking, ruck or the loose pill. Decisive contested play is just what this team needs to continue developing/acquiring. It's something to look forward to having the dynamic duo Roxy Roux and Mim Strom pair up to battle west coast evil-doers.

Last edited:

Anyone got the subscription to the West? Interested to see where this goes.

Ok, thanks Dale for posting the text.

AFLW Draft Analysis: Fremantle Dockers and West Coat Eagles take different paths as AFLW rivalry begins
Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Tuesday, 22 October 2019 11:11AM

Trent Cooper during the 2019 NAB AFLW Draft at the Melbourne Showgrounds.
Trent Cooper during the 2019 NAB AFLW Draft at the Melbourne Showgrounds. Credit: AFL Photos

Fremantle may have taken a hit with the introduction of West Coast to the AFLW competition, but after today’s draft, they have shown they’re not about to go down with a fight.
The Eagles poached eight players from the Dockers, including two-time All Australian and inaugural best and fairest winner Dana Hooker, as they look to enter the competition with a bang and retain their status as the biggest club in WA.
Despite the hit, the Dockers are not about to accept a slide down the ladder after making finals for the first time in 2019 and instead added plenty of ready-made talent which will bolster their already experienced side.
DOCKERS POUNCE ON HIGH LEAPING ROUX WITH FIRST PICK
EAGLES DRAFT ROUND-UP: FLAG EXPERIENCE VITAL FOR NEW CLUB
DOCKERS DRAFT ROUND-UP: FREO BOLSTER FORWARDS AND RUCKS
First round draftee Roxy Roux was a no brainer. The 18-year-old forward is arguably the best forward in the draft, but has the ability to play all over the ground and is ready for a debut in round one.
She is strong both in the air and on the ground and despite appearing shy in public, has an air of confidence on the field that has the ability to take a game away from the opposition in the space of a quarter.
They replenished their ruck stocks by adding Swan Districts ruck Mim Strom, who despite still being raw, has great athleticism and will eventually fill the hole left by Alicia Janz and Parris Laurie, who made the move to West Coast.
From here the Dockers continued to pick up young talent, with defenders Emma O’Driscoll and Janelle Cuthbertson adding depth down back, while Sarah Garstone and Bianca Webb will likely be depth players with one eye on the future.
But Dockers coach Trent Cooper clearly has one eye on the future as well as a premiership and most of these moves are smart.
Fremantle coach Trent Cooper.
Fremantle coach Trent Cooper. Credit: AFL Media
Much like their male counterparts, the Eagles are aiming for a premiership next year and it was reflected in their approach to the draft.
West Coast made big moves with youth before the draft by signing up academy players Mikayla Bowen and Sophie McDonald, a duo who have no trouble finding the football and skills which rival many of the best in this year’s under-18 carnival.
But today they went for as much experience as they could when it came to the draft, taking 30-year-old employee Kate Orme and 31-year-old former Adelaide and Melbourne defender Talia Radan.
West Coast recruit Talia Radan brings premiership experience to the Eagles.
West Coast recruit Talia Radan brings premiership experience to the Eagles. Credit: AFL Media
WAFLW leading goalkicker Tarnee Tester gives them some added firepower, while the surprise of Imahra Cameron with pick 19 was a move made to make sure they had pace for the beautiful surfaces at Lathlain Park.
Combine these selections with the likes of Hooker, former GWS Giant Emma Swanson and Docker Ashlee Atkins, West Coast did not shy away from their intentions.
Whether this is the smart approach or not is yet to be seen, but the coach Adam Selwood now has a team on his hands who he knows can at the very least compete right from round one.

So Eagles targeted experienced players at first and we went for the ready-made youth. It'll be interesting to see how we stack up against each-other come the derby.

So Eagles targeted experienced players at first and we went for the ready-made youth. It'll be interesting to see how we stack up against each-other come the derby.
I'm not a full bottle on WC's list but I found their drafting a bit strange tbh. All their talls are either old and fringe (eg Radan and Perera), or talented but really young and unlikely to impact at AFLW level just yet. They have our old undersized rucks (our main weakness in 2019) but without the quality of Bowers, Donnellan (now KAntonio) and Miller in the middle. Hooker is an exceptional talent but teams will just tag her hard and they'll be left with who to win the ball?

Similarly with picking Cameron with their first pick. She is very talented but she's the polish. Who arrests the dominance of taller rucks against their undersized ones by sharking the taps and keeping the opposition mids accountable? Their men's list is incredibly well put together and balanced but the women's list looks a bit of a mess on a quick glance through imo. They have some talented individuals but not sure they have a team. Cowan having an influence perhaps?

I'm not a full bottle on WC's list but I found their drafting a bit strange tbh. All their talls are either old and fringe (eg Radan and Perera), or talented but really young and unlikely to impact at AFLW level just yet. They have our old undersized rucks (our main weakness in 2019) but without the quality of Bowers, Donnellan (now KAntonio) and Miller in the middle. Hooker is an exceptional talent but teams will just tag her hard and they'll be left with who to win the ball?

Similarly with picking Cameron with their first pick. She is very talented but she's the polish. Who arrests the dominance of taller rucks against their undersized ones by sharking the taps and keeping the opposition mids accountable? Their men's list is incredibly well put together and balanced but the women's list looks a bit of a mess on a quick glance through imo. They have some talented individuals but not sure they have a team. Cowan having an influence perhaps?
Cowan is a clown.

are west coast womens 2019 really fremantle 1995

If rating an AFLW draft isn't a dumb enough exercise in itself, Julia Montesano (Fox Sports) took it to a whole new level today... Mim Strom should provide valuable support for Alicia Janz apparently. Ffs, just ask and I'll write your Fremantle sections if you can't even take the time to research who is on the list.

FREMANTLE

Who they got: Roxanne Roux (Pick 12), Mim Strom (Pick 21), Ann McMahon (Pick 35), Emma O’Driscoll (Pick 51), Sarah Garstone (Pick 66), Janelle Cuthbertson (Pick 81), Bianca Webb (Pick 85)

Analysis: The main strategy for the Dockers appeared to be recruiting players with size and an ability to play a key position. Roxanne Roux is likely to have a highlight reel of her own up forward, while Mim Strom will provide valuable support for Alicia Janz in the ruck. Sarah Garstone and Emma O’Driscoll can be key pillars in defence. With a midfield also containing stars like Kara Antonio (nee Donnellan), the Dockers have now built a spine that can set them up to go one step further in 2019.

Grade: A

WEST COAST EAGLES

Who they got:
Imahra Cameron (Pick 19), Sophie McDonald 9Pick 39), Tarnee Tester (Pick 56), Katherine Orme (Pick 70), Talia Radan (Pick 92), Chantella Perera (Pick 101)

Analysis: One of West Coast’s best selections arguably came at the end of the draft, selecting Hawthorn VFLW defender Chantella Perera. Perera was named best on ground in last year’s VFLW Grand Final thanks to her ability to run and create off halfback. She now makes the move across the country to try and cement a regular spot in the Eagles’ line-up, alongside fellow Hawks defender Talia Radan. The Eagles used their first pick of the draft on mature-age recruit Imahra Cameron, who played in a premiership with Swan Districts as a midfielder/ forward. She was coached by Fremantle captain Kara Antonio (nee Donnellan). Because the Eagles are a new side, many question marks remain over their line-up, but with inaugural Fremantle best and fairest Dana Hooker there to steady the ship, these new recruits have every opportunity to develop into stars.

Grade: C+

Lol West Coast. Also, for context, C+ was the lowest grade Fox handed out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back