Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
The truth hurts you doesn’t it.

I just want us to succeed and can see both positives and negatives rather than just being a fanboy accepting that everything we do is beyond criticism. And I don’t accept mediocrity when the pursuit takes excellence to succeed. We need to destroy that weak culture associated with our club. You’re part of the problem.
LOL you’re the embodiment of mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ysaye

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Half back is the place to play your young highly rated talent in their early years before they go full midfield.

McGrath is one that comes to mind. Yeo did it too.
McGrath and Yeo played as half backs as youngsters; half back was McGrath's position.

I am okay with Sturt playing back, but he was /is a good forward with good goal and decision making around there, in a team where we typically break down across the half forward line and I would have thought it was better to build on that both from a team and personal perspective. We always tend to use young players that are average to poor kicks in offence (Cerra was a recent exception last year but Banfield and DeBoer moved straight into the forward line once starting).

We haven't always done this also - we didn't play Fyfe back before moving him into the midfield did we?

Cesoir

Debutant
AFL Club
Fremantle
The truth hurts you doesn’t it.

I just want us to succeed and can see both positives and negatives rather than just being a fanboy accepting that everything we do is beyond criticism. And I don’t accept mediocrity when the pursuit takes excellence to succeed. We need to destroy that weak culture associated with our club. You’re part of the problem.
Shit, sorry everyone - I never realized I was so influential.

From now on I will just piss and moan about everything and hopefully we have a good season.

Thanks for the heads-up mate...

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
AFL Club
Fremantle
A couple of telling quotes from the recent article about Sturt on the club website:

"After debuting in round 14, Sturt led the TAC Cup in score assists and tackles inside 50 and was also top five in the league for goals and score involvements in that period. "

“He’s coming along really quickly and we like what he’s delivered off half-back with his run.” - Ross Lyon.

Yeah, makes sense Ross. Why would you want him forward? Might kick a few goals and set a bad example for the other forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

salim malik

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
A couple of telling quotes from the recent article about Sturt on the club website:

"After debuting in round 14, Sturt led the TAC Cup in score assists and tackles inside 50 and was also top five in the league for goals and score involvements in that period. "

“He’s coming along really quickly and we like what he’s delivered off half-back with his run.” - Ross Lyon.

Yeah, makes sense Ross. Why would you want him forward? Might kick a few goals and set a bad example for the other forwards.

Sturt couldn't handle the pressure in the Wafl game today playing forward.He was crunched in a tackle and had to come of and didn't return. He isn't ready yet, has only played a hand full of games in the 18,s . It's not hard to work out that he is being slowly worked into the game from halfback.

Joao

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
I mean sure the first thing Nathan Buckley thought when he got Jaiden Stephenson was “let’s play him on the back flank”.

JFC.

Cerra playing everywhere but midfield...good for his development. FMD
I love Stevo but you can't play him at half back because he can't kick.

Nodgey

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
I only watched the first half of the JLT derby, but I thought I noticed Cerra in the forward line. Did he stay there the whole game? IMHO he's ready to step up into the midfield.

arsesmart

Senior List
AFL Club
Fremantle
I only watched the first half of the JLT derby, but I thought I noticed Cerra in the forward line. Did he stay there the whole game? IMHO he's ready to step up into the midfield.
Unfortunately I didn't get to see the game, but apparently Cerra did play in the midfield against the WC on the weekend.

Top Bottom