Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

People are talking about being worried about us trading him. I think that’s borderline delusional at this point.

I’m sorry to be negative but if he hadn’t played a starring role against Essendon round one 2020, no one would watch Peel and be calling for his inclusion into the side ever.

He might kick 2-3 goals but he does **** all else. When Freo win games Schultz, Switta and Freddy do much more than kick 2-3 goals and usually kick 1-3 anyway. They might be less talented but they offer more. That’s almost indisputable now. You could guarantee Sturt would go missing just as bad when we’re losing.

We’re cutting more than just Blakely, Crowden and Wilson this year imo - after that it gets hard. If we trade one or two of the rumoured players I think we need to replace them with ready made replacements- Sturt plays a completely different role. He’s in real trouble when we make list management decisions imo - only retirements from older players will save him and even then it might not.

Sturt isn't in trouble, he has 11 goals in 5 games this year, is building in the WAFL like players do when the AFL team is playing well

He also has another 8 goals in 3 preseason games including a 5 goal haul

Anyone suggesting he is in trouble isn't watching him, he has areas he needs to work on but he isn't some garbage player

Sturt isn't in trouble, he has 11 goals in 5 games this year, is building in the WAFL like players do when the AFL team is playing well

Anyone suggesting he is in trouble isn't watching him, he has areas he needs to work on but he isn't some garbage player
Exactly. He had a bad game and is just out of form.

He isn't going to be a key forward and shouldn't be compared to one while playing in the role of one.

Don't kick the ball on his head, he isn't that guy. He needs to be on the move up and across the ground.
This is the troubling bit though
Watching him yesterday he couldn’t get separation from his defender which is what is expected of him .

If he can’t do that at WAFL no way he’s doing it in the big game

There was one passage of play in the last where he put in a second and third effort to cause a stoppage turnover. About 3-4 Peel players got around him pulled him off the ground and ruffled his head etc. The effort was there but again it was untidy. I expected him to swoop on the turnover steady snap and goal but at least he forced a stoppage just outsider the goal square.

He is trying, he is a bit kamikaze and things aren’t coming off for him.

As mentioned earlier yesterday would have been the best opportunity to get him up the ground and release him from the i25 area. We were missing Henry, Johnson and Wilson and he could have played Wing or HBF.

The move of Treacy into the ruck is what turned the game. Treacy got some of the pill and some good marks on the last line of defence. Sturt was also a bit involved but after a little cameo of about 4 possessions moved back i50.

Sturt can look at Treacy as an example to get himself out of a bit of a rut he is in. Last week Treacy looked horrible in the first half and kamikaze like, similar to Sturt. He persisted and had a deadly third qtr with three goals. Claremont are a good side and all they could do was watch him turn the game.

Yesterday in the first half the ball hardly ever went forward and when it did aside from some nice i50’s from Fyfe it was otherwise terrible delivery.

Sturt needs to watch and learn from Treacy. He turned his form around through persistence. Going back to the first quarter last Sat I just shook my head at terrible Treacy was. This should inspire Sturt and also Valentine please move him out of the forward fifty even a high half forward/ second wing. He needs room to run and move around.

I’ve watched every Peel game this year and imo he’s failed the ‘eye test’ every time. Just looks completely out of the game almost always, offers zero defensively and doesn’t look to cover a lot of ground (despite actually being reasonably fast).

He’s on track to be delisted at year’s end imo. In previous years he would’ve survived but list spots will be tight. He’ll be in the last couple re-signed if he is.

I challenge you who you’d delist instead if:
  • we don’t delisted in-contract players (never happens)
  • we replace those traded out with ready made replacements (or don’t trade anyone else out).
  • Mundy and Colyer play on another year.

It’s all potential now isn’t it? Afl is so much more then natural goalkicker. Defenders are faster and stronger.
Maybe it’s the injuries, inconsistency of match form. Who knows. It’s clear that he’s not forcing his way in, and it shows

I’ve watched every Peel game this year and imo he’s failed the ‘eye test’ every time. Just looks completely out of the game almost always, offers zero defensively and doesn’t look to cover a lot of ground (despite actually being reasonably fast).

He’s on track to be delisted at year’s end imo. In previous years he would’ve survived but list spots will be tight. He’ll be in the last couple re-signed if he is.

I challenge you who you’d delist instead if:
  • we don’t delisted in-contract players (never happens)
  • we replace those traded out with ready made replacements (or don’t trade anyone else out).
  • Mundy and Colyer play on another year.

I agree…if Crowden, who has been fantastic, at Peel is in line for delistment, Sturt is well gawn

I agree…if Crowden, who has been fantastic, at Peel is in line for delistment, Sturt is well gawn

Crowden and Sturt are both in a small group that can save themselves if they play well in the season half of the season.

Unfortunately I’m not sure WAFL form is going to cut it. Despite the fact Crowden was medical sub last night (we’ll get 4-6 back either side of the bye) I’m not sure either is overly close to best 22 (i.e. best 30 or so) when we’re 100% fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Logue may be the 3rd forward we need. Not as silky as Sturt but chases, harasses & creates a contest that Sturt refuses or is unable to do.

Agreed. JLo loves this, been asking this from Sturt. I’m concerned, could be on the trade table my feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's so aggrivating reading about Sturt on this site. Either he has to be in the team immediately or he doesn't want to play AFL anymore and should be delisted.

Let the guy play the season out.

Just so you understand, regardless of what gets posted on here or how much you get aggravated by it, Sturt will play the season out and due to this being a discussion forum, he'll be commented on.

It's so aggrivating reading about Sturt on this site. Either he has to be in the team immediately or he doesn't want to play AFL anymore and should be delisted.

Let the guy play the season out.
I agree with this. Given the new role for Logue and Sturt’s up and down form. He can develop in the WAFL. He is yet to play a full season (or even a quarter of a season). Concussion, knees, ankles etc. He needs continuity and isn’t as fit as the club would like.

Same goes for Henry. Just because he isn’t in the AFL team doesn’t mean he will be delisted. He is developing in the seconds.

Blakely (rookie) and Wilson are on borrowed time. Valente retired but still listed on the primary list. Mundy some chance to retire.

Crowden is on the rookie list and was delisted and added on as a rookie. He is a likely delisting. Sturt from what I’ve seen a possible chance to be delisted and added to the rookie list, which opens up a primary list spot.

Rookies (7) - Schultz, Crowden, Treacy, Kuek, Worner, Blakely, Banfield

Outcome: Delist Blakely and Crowden (reduce to 5) - 1 selection in the 2022 RD (ie potentially Sturt)

Primary List (currently 36 by my calculations) - Wilson, Valente, Sturt
  • gives us three selections in the ND
  • Mundy retirement a possibility (replace with FA Gus Brayshaw would be nice)
  • Tucker possible trade (replace with Cam Zuuhar would be nice)

Some chance Hughes or Hamling get traded (both under contract and are good depth coverage). Meek under contract and I wouldn’t entertain a trade for him.

I hope we make minimal changes to the squad - something like 5-6 in and 5-6 out. Plenty of scope for Sturt to be retained on primary list or on rookie list. I do however agree that he is in the bracket of players questionable along with Crowden. I also doubt there would be much interest at the moment as a trade. If there was it would be a late third type of trade like Mitchie or Balic. That is the reality so I’d prefer to keep him and give Sturt more time.

Think you are a bit off the boil if you think he's being delisted at the end of year. Just like Banfield was thought last year, and I made my point known that JLo plays a system of roles, players executing specific roles with each role requiring specific needs.
One of the roles is the medium tall which we have been crying out for since Mayne left. Banfield was re-signed as he is one of two medium talls on our list, with the other being Sturt. Logue's emergence now makes three (if he doesn't just go full kpf) which is great, but having that competition on the role will only make those 3 players better.

Sturt I think might get rookied instead which is fair but if he's showing he is invested in the program, he's worth a two year deal on low coin for sure. Remember he was drafted as a slow build, a player who came late to footy, injuries have held back his development so give him time. Our list is so young there is absolutely no need to make calls on players early to make space for another kid.

People saying I’m wrong by basically just saying I’m wrong.

I also asked who they’d delist instead if we:
  • have already delisted Wilson, Blakely and Crowden
  • don’t delist contracted players
  • if Lobb leaves we replace him with a readymade replacement
  • Mundy and Colyer play on in 2023.

I’ve said retirements could save him but if I’m so wrong why has nobody been able to answer my question?

Will start this by confessing I haven’t watched much Peel at all tbh so can’t comment on his game day approach.

But simply taking the No. 1 jumper when it was available indicated to me he had/has the confidence and attitude to succeed. I still hold hope for him he makes it with us.

I’ve said retirements could save him but if I’m so wrong why has nobody been able to answer my question?
Tucker will likely be traded/moved on would be my guess. Mundy is every chance to finish up, especially if we nab one this year. Zero guarantee we bring in a mature replacement for Lobb if he goes. It's all guesswork obviously but why cut a 22 year old who has had a horror injury run when he fills a specific need on the list? A 1 year rookie deal is at a guess the likeliest option for me, delisting talent for no other reason then being impatient is silly.

I can see a player like Joel Western being picked up as a rookie, moving off the primary list.
If Wilson is gone, Valente is gone and the delisting of Blakely and Crowden leave just one rookie position taken by Western - we have our three needed.

That's how we retain Sturt, Logue, Acres, Aish, Mundy, Pearce, Colyer, Banfield, Western and Kuek.

Tucker will likely be traded/moved on would be my guess. Mundy is every chance to finish up, especially if we nab one this year. Zero guarantee we bring in a mature replacement for Lobb if he goes. It's all guesswork obviously but why cut a 22 year old who has had a horror injury run when he fills a specific need on the list? A 1 year rookie deal is at a guess the likeliest option for me, delisting talent for no other reason then being impatient is silly.

Fair enough. So basically a lot needs to happen for him to stay on the list.

For me though he’s played one extra game in four years than Harley Bennell did. His effort isn’t there at WAFL level. How much longer is talent enough for us to blindly keep the faith?

Not sure he’s worth the effort you want to go tbh.

I can see a player like Joel Western being picked up as a rookie, moving off the primary list.
If Wilson is gone, Valente is gone and the delisting of Blakely and Crowden leave just one rookie position taken by Western - we have our three needed.

That's how we retain Sturt, Logue, Acres, Aish, Mundy, Pearce, Colyer, Banfield, Western and Kuek.

Thing I don’t think that’s enough list changes.

It might look miles away at present but making 2-3 changes a year can turn your list into North Melbourne or West Coast pretty damn quickly unless you nail every pick. We should know - look at how our list looked in 2016.

Also it’s my view that Western should stay on the senior list. He was tracking very nicely and is made to replace Colyer who’s 32 next season. We can downgrade Hughes or Hamling if we need to make space on the senior list.

Well you are asking for a question but ruling out a bunch of the answers?

Hammer could be traded or asked to retire IMO

Western is more likely to be rookied than Sturt, could get stolen by dogs though as they were interested but same goes for Sturt

Hughes could be dropped back down to the rookie list

There is likely to be atleast 1 surprise trade going off our recent years but that is unpredictable

plenty of options there that fit within your limitations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back