Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Mmmmmmm. Is this bonds legacy ?
What? How many quick tallish half forwards with great skills have we drafted over the Bond years? Last years draft reaction shows how little even the experts know until the draftees have played senior football. Our list is now as unBond like as it has ever been. Lots of tall forwards, lots of quicks smalls, a grea6er ratio of forwards to mids then we have ever had and one too many ruckmen (in my view anyway)

Last edited:
Reminds me of Bayley Fritsch who I really rate.

Happy to have a player that kicks the ball well. We lack these types obviously.

If he can build a tank will be a great high half forward type.

Btw I think Hogan, Cox and Tabs are stoked right now.

Him being a massive bolter and all worries me but I'm all for someone of his type. Hopefully he can play round 1 and replicate something like Stephenson's efforts.
Bontempalie was a massive bolter. More hits then misses overall in my view in terms of players who firm late. There is often reasons why some players move up close to the draft.

That said. I wouldnt mind us offerring pick 31 and 2019 second for another teams 2019 3rd and any pick from now that would get us Ian Hill until a team selects him. If West Coast do pick another pick with the next pick we might yet pick up Hill if we can get a pick before the pick 26 WC have.

Last edited:
Bontempalie was a massive bolter. More hits then misses overall in my view in terms of players who firm late. There is often reasons why some players move up close to the draft.

That said. I wouldnt mind us offerring pick 31 and 2019 second for another teams 2019 3rd and any pick from now that would get us Ian Hill until a team selects him. If West Coast do pass on the next pick we might yet pick up Hill if we can get a pick before the pick 26 WC have.
So looking forward to my complete meltdown as we pass him on our next pick.

That said. I wouldnt mind us offerring pick 31 and 2019 second for another teams 2019 3rd and any pick from now that would get us Ian Hill until a team selects him. If West Coast do pass on the next pick we might yet pick up Hill if we can get a pick before the pick 26 WC have.
Yeah I’m quite a fan of the bolter .. bit like the late plunge on a horse in racing

Generally means someone(s)knows something.

you can add patty Cripps and Rory Lobb to that list just off top of my head(there are quite few others)

His bio just reads so impressive but things stand out to me is ex cricketer and leftie(generally means a high skill level) and terrific overhead marking ability with pace to burn...

Ticks all of the boxes we need the most

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel that we must think he has some midfield potential because I'm thinking back to that last post-match press conference the coach did about wanting players who can play multiple positions.

Belly's spiel yesterday about players with speed, skill and athleticism makes more sense now.

I challenge people to read this profile and not be excited:
https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/player/sam-sturt/

It's about the only profile I've read (and I haven't read them all) where the only weaknesses are actually things you can address properly. Huge upside.
Gee try wiping the smile off my face reading that.

If he buys in, dude could be anything.

Not sure if anyone heard his interview on SEN after he was drafted but he was absolute stoked to be moving interstate and you could hear the excitement in his voice. Luke Power and Boomer both likened him to Will Hayward at Sydney. I’m knew nothing about him pre draft but if he ends up like Hayward, we might have the steal of the draft. Massive ceiling given his background and that he picked footy late.

No worries for mine about flight risk and has sounds like he has the professionalism and drive to debut round 1.

Belly's spiel yesterday about players with speed, skill and athleticism makes more sense now.

Gee try wiping the smile off my face reading that.

If he buys in, dude could be anything.
Going by his interview after being picked by us he sounded super stoked to come over - very excited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back