Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

gee, I hope Sturt isn't delisted, that would suck dog's danglies......he's been hampered by some chronic injuries and at least this year through Peel he's been able to play consistently, just not at a level akin to getting game time at AFL. Plus he's still pretty damn young with enormous upside (in my eyes). I say we give it a bit of time eh?! Unless he requests out, then it would be folly to do anything more than get him re-signed
Did he miss whole pre season?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

We could get rid of one or two of those on top of Wilson, Blakely and Crowden (they’re gone) and still have a pretty good top 30-32 players imo, especially when improvement from guys like Erasmus and Johnson are factored in.

State leaguers and good first year players may be 5% behind someone like Tucker but would be paid peanuts in comparison. It’s a balancing act - The salary cap is designed so clubs can’t retain too much depth. I’d rather lose depth than someone like Griffen Logue.
I think this is the flaw in an otherwise pretty sound argument.

I don't think a median good (I.E. not a talented first rounder or a lucky pick) first year player or state leaguer is going to to be 5% behind. On average they're going to be worse than that. You replace 6 role players with players like than half of them will end up being not even good role players, just straight up not AFL quality. We have a young list, we don't need to act like we are still rebuilding or that'll we'll end up a empty shell like WC because we hold a few more C graders a couple of seasons longer than we have over the last 6 years.

The fashion for state leaguers is cyclical imo. Everyone now is clamoring for the next Jai Newcomb just the same as everyone was clamouring for the next Michael Barlow at the 2010 and 11 drafts. COVID has created this in my view and once all the later developers who were hidden by two years of disruption have all been picked up we'll be back to the status quo (maybe 2 or 3 mature players proving to be AFL quality per draft).

BTW I think you are right about Louge. Retaining him will almost certainly cost a fringe player a contract they might otherwise have got.

Sorry just to tack on a little more, mature depth I think helps lead to a year of success but depth of talented youngsters will bring on more than just one. Eagles being a prime example.
I'm not disagreeing with your opinion, I'm just not expecting that the club "likely" gets rid of a player who they have been giving regular games to.

More likely he gets the same kind of situation as Hughes though hopefully a shorter deal IF Erasmus, Johnson and O'Driscoll come on.

I don't think a median good (I.E. not a talented first rounder or a lucky pick) first year player or state leaguer is going to to be 5% behind. On average they're going to be worse than that. You replace 6 role players with players like than half of them will end up being not even good role players, just straight up not AFL quality. We have a young list, we don't need to act like we are still rebuilding or that'll we'll end up a empty shell like WC because we hold a few more C graders a couple of seasons longer than we have over the last 6 years.

The fashion for state leaguers is cyclical imo. Everyone now is clamoring for the next Jai Newcomb just the same as everyone was clamouring for the next Michael Barlow at the 2010 and 11 drafts. COVID has created this in my view and once all the later developers who were hidden by two years of disruption have all been picked up we'll be back to the status quo (maybe 2 or 3 mature players proving to be AFL quality per draft).

BTW I think you are right about Louge. Retaining him will almost certainly cost a fringe player a contract they might otherwise have got.
Treacy, Bewley, Schultz and Worner pretty much fit the msd player profile anyway. We're pretty good at finding mature depth players.

Treacy, Bewley, Schultz and Worner pretty much fit the msd player profile anyway. We're pretty good at finding mature depth players.
Treacy was COVID season impact and was not mature age in any case. Hard to imagine he would have gone that low if he had played his final NAB league season. The rest kind of illustrate my point. Worner unproven, Schultz tick, Bewley not AFL standard.

Bit of a flog remark that one
It’s tongue in cheek. You being captain obvious by saying that that players are different. Of course they’re different. The point was that posters have said before, like you did, that X player will never play for us again. And they’ve been wrong about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having talent does not mean you will automatically have an AFL career. There are intangibles. Check out Aus kick on a saturday morning. A heck of a lot of good kids for very few AFL careers.

It’s tongue in cheek. You being captain obvious by saying that that players are different. Of course they’re different. The point was that posters have said before, like you did, that X player will never play for us again. And they’ve been wrong about it.
Bit of a flog remark that one

I think it’s time to give him a run off half back for a couple weeks down at Peel.

Got the height, speed, foot skills, overhead to be a good half back especially at WAFL level. Even if it is only for a couple weeks to get a bit more of the ball and get the confidence back up.

Worth the gamble.

Crozier Mkll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few things on the above:

You’re probably right that it’s more than a 5% gap between Tucker and mature ager or 18 year old kid. The last few weeks I’m probably correct though. Tucker has been beyond useless those weeks imo.

It’s not just mature agers and first rounders either. There’s guys on our list developing in the WAFL that won’t be much worse than Tucker and on less money - Henry and Worner for two. There’s also NOD who’s injured. It’s not really about the pick number - we’ve had second rounders play good footy for us year one. Sometimes those that are more ready are drafted later due to less upside.

I actually generally think mature agers are slightly overrated. There is however many of them picked by teams across the competition that play roles for teams - some aren’t bad teams either. The MSD is a bit overrated too as the State leagues how 2/3 of their season still to play. It’s how someone like Michael Frederick gets picked up in the National Draft in 2019 despite being eligible for the MSD that year.

Also IMO Brett Bewley when he played last year wasn’t playing any worse than Tucker has the last month. Of course Tucker is capable of far better.

As I posted in the Drafts and Trading thread we’ve added at least five players (between National Draft, PSD and Rookie Draft) without AFL experience to the list each off season since 2005/06. We haven’t been rebuilding that whole time. Some people are talking like we should delist two or three and keep the list the rest of the list the same. That simply won’t happen.

Last edited:
Some people are talking like we should delist two or three and keep the list the rest of the list the same. That simply won’t happen.
are people suggesting that? most are saying the minimum of 3 delistings off the main and then possibly 1 or 2 trades to open a spot, then the 2 obvious rookie delistings in Blakely and Crowden, possibly a third too

I’m firmly of the belief tackling is the Achilles heal keeping Sturt out of the side. I’d say at least half of our good looks at goal now come from forward 50 pressure acts.

IMO Sturt should be playing the same role at Peel as Freddy does for Fremantle, not as a lead up forward where I believe he will never surpass Amiss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back