Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Drove back to the city today through Frankston South on the bayside route back from the Peninsula - it's a good hour away in no traffic. Frankston South and Mt Eliza are where things start to feel more MP and less Melbourne. Also he went to Peninsula Grammar IIRC, so likely surrounded by more rural/peri-urban kids than city kids.

Peninsula Grammar = rich kids

So why are we so bad at drafting Melbourne kids?

I personally would argue that holistically, we are not just bad at recruiting vic players, we are just bad at recruiting. Regardless though, past results do not ensure future performance....

Two big misnomers
1. Our interstate players always want to go home... crap, we keep 99% of them.

2. Our vic players never turn out any good... crap, Mundy and Ryan are guns, cerra and brayshaw look like they have a bit in them, Darcy tucker I think still can be a very effective player.

Past results do not ensure future performance... I believe Sturt will turn into a very good player for us.

Oh, and by the way, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen will Hayward play, so why is Sturt being compared with him such a compliment? He does remind me of will hoskin Elliott though, which id be more than happy with

The kid has all the tools bar endurance. Which means unless he improves a ton in that department he is unlikely to play much next year at afl next year. Most of the kids who play a lot in in year one already have good endurance. Doesnt change the fact he looks an exciting long term prospect who potentially fills a role we dont have covered that awkard macth-up forward.

Isn’t crowdens biggest knock his endurance? He played a fair hit

Sturt looks like a great player, from all reports he could be anything. However, it's still an interesting pick, I thought for sure we'd be grabbing best available mid.

But we did grab the best mid available... just so happens he lasted to our second pick

Countless juniors are supposed to play like Fyfe these days, but as far as a similar junior career, this kid seems very close to Nat. Where he ends up who knows, maybe he’ll have the half-forward career Nat could have had without all the muscle gain. Or maybe he’ll beef up similarly and play inside too?

Fyfe was our best player in his 2nd year in my opinion, I doubt Stuart will come on as fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Countless juniors are supposed to play like Fyfe these days, but as far as a similar junior career, this kid seems very close to Nat. Where he ends up who knows, maybe he’ll have the half-forward career Nat could have had without all the muscle gain. Or maybe he’ll beef up similarly and play inside too?

Fyfe was our best player in his 2nd year in my opinion, I doubt Stuart will come on as fast

He'll likely take a while. Has to build endurance and bulk up at the same time which is very hard. Fyfe at least had a very solid endurance base to start with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our desperate need for some pace in our forward line could see Sturt get a debut early even though we have a heap of forwards on our list now.

Will be interesting if his skills translate as an inside mid eventually. His size and speed would compliment Cerra and Brayshaw perfectly for the future.

Watching his highlights again has me excited. We literally have a forward that can pressure, collect ground balls, lead and mark and mostly importantly kick well and make good decisions.

I think our desperate need for some pace in our forward line could see Sturt get a debut early even though we have a heap of forwards on our list now.

Will be interesting if his skills translate as an inside mid eventually. His size and speed would compliment Cerra and Brayshaw perfectly for the future.

You recon inside? I thought he’d be the one on the spread you’d want to receive the ball. Maybe both

Anyway atm I hope he turns out like a mix between Fyfe and Stephenson. No pressure.....

I hate comparisons but visually for me he moves, tackles and kicks like Lenny Hayes - compare a Hayes highlights video and the Sturt highlights video. I am not wanting to push a story that he will be a midfielder like Hayes, or as good as Hayes even, he has a long way to go for that, but just visually they look similar.

Others have noted that he marks in a way similar to Gunston, and maybe positionally that is what he will play as, but anyway look he is just an exciting prospect at this stage.

We could arguably have a similar forward structure to Hawthorn’s during their prime:

Buddy - Hogan
Roughead - Tabs
McEvoy - Lobb
Gunston - Sturt
Cyril - Walters
Breust - Bennell/Langdon/Dardy McCrafty

Not saying that any of our players are as good as them at this stage but the players are now there to select that traditional kind of lineup.

We could arguably have a similar forward structure to Hawthorn’s during their prime:

Buddy - Hogan
Roughead - Tabs
McEvoy - Lobb
Gunston - Sturt
Cyril - Walters

Not saying that any of our players are as good as them at this stage but the players are now there to select that traditional kind of lineup.
Which of those would you have us ahead in Wally?

Buddy - Hogan
Roughead - Tabs
McEvoy - Lobb
Gunston - Sturt
Cyril - Walters

McEvoy and Buddy never played together, plus McEvoy is usually their lead ruck. Lobb would be more comparable to Hale

Right now, none. Perhaps Lobb over McEvoy but if memory serves me correct, McEvoy used to always play well as a forward against us. TBH I can’t remember the last time we beat Hawthorn.

McEvoy has been the number ruck since he’s been at Hawthorn. You should be comparing Lobb to Hale or Ceglar and I reckon Lobb may actually have those guys covered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back