Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly what we needed with this guy. I'm not going to lie I wanted Hill. But this guy screams untapped potential and plays in a position that we need.
Hope he has the drive to tap that potential. I have read a bit about Valente's leadership, and the drive that Bewley and Shultz needed to get through and improve at the lower levels. Even Watson has shown determination. Sturt still feels a bit more unknown.

Hope he has the drive to tap that potential. I have read a bit about Valente's leadership, and the drive that Bewley and Shultz needed to get through and improve at the lower levels. Even Watson has shown determination. Sturt still feels a bit more unknown.
Did you see his phone call to fyfe he was practically gushing so id say hes more than keen to begin training and train hard.

We could arguably have a similar forward structure to Hawthorn’s during their prime:

Buddy - Hogan
Roughead - Tabs
McEvoy - Lobb
Gunston - Sturt
Cyril - Walters
Breust - Bennell/Langdon/Dardy McCrafty

Not saying that any of our players are as good as them at this stage but the players are now there to select that traditional kind of lineup.

Hawks have never been that tall in the forward line. They have had Puopolo/Breust/Cyril and now Impey providing pressure and making good decisions. Then Gunston has the mid sized forward with 2 taller targets.

I think we could be more comparable to WCs structure this year.

Kennedy - Hogan
Darling - Taberner or Cox
Lycett/Vardy - Lobb
Lecras - Sturt
Rioli - Walters
Ryan/Cripps/Venebles - 3 of our smaller forwards.

We probably don’t have anyone of Cripps’s quality that works as hard as him and can play well both ways.

I really like Banfield in a forward role but he may be needed more in the midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawks have never been that tall in the forward line. They have had Puopolo/Breust/Cyril and now Impey providing pressure and making good decisions. Then Gunston has the mid sized forward with 2 taller targets.

I think we could be more comparable to WCs structure this year.

Kennedy - Hogan
Darling - Taberner or Cox
Lycett/Vardy - Lobb
Lecras - Sturt
Rioli - Walters
Ryan/Cripps/Venebles - 3 of our smaller forwards.

We probably don’t have anyone of Cripps’s quality that works as hard as him and can play well both ways.

I really like Banfield in a forward role but he may be needed more in the midfield.

Could also be Adelaide-esk too (2017);

Tex - Hogan
Jenkins - Lobb
McGovern - Cox, Tabs, Dixon
Lynch - McCarthy, Sturt
Betts - Walters
Cameron - Schultz, Swita, Ballas

Anyway you look at it, we actually have the nucleus of a forward line developing. Now, to get it in there...

Did you see his phone call to fyfe he was practically gushing so id say hes more than keen to begin training and train hard.
I did see that, and also read an interview where he was saying his football background was as an inside mid and he'd love to build his body and game for that. If only we had someone who could role model for that....

I did see that, and also read an interview where he was saying his football background was as an inside mid and he'd love to build his body and game for that. If only we had someone who could role model for that....
Regretting the Sheridan and Sutcliffe cuts now :rolleyes:

Maybe he can copy Banfield and grow a few extra centimetres too! Otherwise the Fyfe diet will do I suppose

Imagine fyfe 190cm banfield 190cm sturt 188cm plus however much he grows.
Reminds me of our big bodied midfield of yester year.
I think it might work because their all decently quick
Valente is 187 too, and who knows, may still be growing. The dream is probably Mundy/Valente and Fyfe/Sturt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone pass this paywall and post the story?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/news-story/a0241ae532d2e82e590bd3fb99bc6056

Very few of the nation’s best under-age forwards got one over top-ranked defender Isaac Quaynor this year.

But there’s some good news for Fremantle fans — the one who did is all yours.

Draft bolter Sam Sturt, the Dockers’ first draft selection this year at pick 17, left Collingwood recruit Quaynor for dead in the pair’s first and only meeting to date.

The left-footed Dandenong Stingrays forward dominated the opening stages of the TAC Cup grand final in September and finished with two goals in his side’s narrow win over the Oakleigh Chargers.

“He came out and basically killed me at the start,” Quaynor told PerthNow.

“He took two marks on me early and probably got the best of me.

Fremantle’s top draft pick Sam Sturt tries on his new colours.
“He was probably one of the few players throughout this year who got the best of me, because I pride myself on my defence.”

Sturt was an aggressive right-handed batsman aiming to crack Victoria’s under-19 cricket team at the start of the year before a late invite to the Dandenong set-up steered him towards football.

The 18-year-old’s pace and strong marking are features of his game and have seen club recruiters draw comparisons with Hawthorn premiership star Jack Gunston.

“He was a little bit quicker to react and probably just a little bit quicker over the first 20m,” Quaynor said. “He kind of burnt me off.

“His speed was one thing that I was struggling with and one thing that I realised was his real strength.

“He’s got a great leap and he’s a really good athlete.”

Sturt found himself dining with Ross Lyon after Thursday night’s draft in Melbourne.

“It was intimidating,” Sturt said.

“At the start, saying hello, I couldn’t really get the words out.

“After an hour or so the conversation just flowed.

“He’s such a nice guy. They were just really welcoming.”

Sturt played junior football as an inside midfielder and will look to add size, endurance and versatility to his game.

Now he’s set his sights on playing alongside Fremantle recruits Jesse Hogan and Rory Lobb in a new-look forward line.

“Hogan and Lobb are two pretty big names that I hope to play alongside,” Sturt said.

“I’m looking forward to it.

“I used to be an inside midfielder, so hopefully I can back to that with a good pre-season and some strength and conditioning.

“But at the moment I see myself as a high half-forward who can push up the ground.”

Sturt has never set foot in WA but is coming to terms with the prospect of moving across the country to unfamiliar territory.

He will arrive in Perth on Sunday and head straight to a team barbecue at Aaron Sandilands’ house.

“I think it will be pretty intimidating at the start but I’ve had a chat to Nat Fyfe and he seems like a really nice guy and a really good leader,” Sturt said.

“I spoke to Fremantle a couple of times and definitely prepared for this, so I’m ready for the move and really excited about what it brings.

“My family are just really happy for me and it should be good.

“I love the ocean and obviously Perth is hot, so it will suit me.”

If you haven't watched the presser with this guy from today, do it! Handled it like a pro who has been standing in front of media for years. The similarities to Fyfe are becoming way too much now. Add him to the list of future captain prospects.

BTW he's currently living with Fyfe :) Bodes well.

Definitely see why we drafted this kid - ticks all the boxes. Can see him debuting earlyish in the season.

If you haven't watched the presser with this guy from today, do it! Handled it like a pro who has been standing in front of media for years. The similarities to Fyfe are becoming way too much now. Add him to the list of future captain prospects.

BTW he's currently living with Fyfe :) Bodes well.

Definitely see why we drafted this kid - ticks all the boxes. Can see him debuting earlyish in the season.

Seemed much more serious today. I can handle that. Serious like a heart attack (for opposition defences).

Trading down looks like a pretty good deal with Sturt's acquisition.
He is an elite talent with as much x-factor and upside as any draftee from this year.
Smart player who attacks the ball and makes things happen.

I hope you guys stuff up his development, overload his program and he spends 2 years suffering with soft tissue injuries :D
We'll happily give you a second round pick for him ;)

He is an elite talent with as much x-factor and upside as any draftee from this year.

I hope you guys stuff up his development, overload his program and he spends 2 years suffering with soft tissue injuries :D
The hawthorn way hey, well hate to break it to you chad not gonna happen also can you tell jeff kennett even with success his opinions and need matter no more than any other club presidents.
How the hell are we playing you in Tasmania again in 2019. Its shocking for two reasons one because we always play you in Tasmania and two as a big Victorian team you guys travelling must make you very tempting for drop bears your almost tourists outside vic, big risk if you ask me.

Just draft his brother and we’ll send him back home after he’s won a few premierships with us. Sounds fair to me!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back