Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

The truth hurts you doesn’t it.

I just want us to succeed and can see both positives and negatives rather than just being a fanboy accepting that everything we do is beyond criticism. And I don’t accept mediocrity when the pursuit takes excellence to succeed. We need to destroy that weak culture associated with our club. You’re part of the problem.
LOL you’re the embodiment of mediocrity.

Half back is the place to play your young highly rated talent in their early years before they go full midfield.

McGrath is one that comes to mind. Yeo did it too.

McGrath and Yeo played as half backs as youngsters; half back was McGrath's position.

I am okay with Sturt playing back, but he was /is a good forward with good goal and decision making around there, in a team where we typically break down across the half forward line and I would have thought it was better to build on that both from a team and personal perspective. We always tend to use young players that are average to poor kicks in offence (Cerra was a recent exception last year but Banfield and DeBoer moved straight into the forward line once starting).

We haven't always done this also - we didn't play Fyfe back before moving him into the midfield did we?

Sturt was crunched playing forward today. Was down for a long time ,went of and didn't return. He isn't physically ready yet. Should play reserves for Peel for a while.

The truth hurts you doesn’t it.

I just want us to succeed and can see both positives and negatives rather than just being a fanboy accepting that everything we do is beyond criticism. And I don’t accept mediocrity when the pursuit takes excellence to succeed. We need to destroy that weak culture associated with our club. You’re part of the problem.
s**t, sorry everyone - I never realized I was so influential.

From now on I will just piss and moan about everything and hopefully we have a good season.

Thanks for the heads-up mate...

A couple of telling quotes from the recent article about Sturt on the club website:

"After debuting in round 14, Sturt led the TAC Cup in score assists and tackles inside 50 and was also top five in the league for goals and score involvements in that period. "

“He’s coming along really quickly and we like what he’s delivered off half-back with his run.” - Ross Lyon.

Yeah, makes sense Ross. Why would you want him forward? Might kick a few goals and set a bad example for the other forwards.

A couple of telling quotes from the recent article about Sturt on the club website:

"After debuting in round 14, Sturt led the TAC Cup in score assists and tackles inside 50 and was also top five in the league for goals and score involvements in that period. "

“He’s coming along really quickly and we like what he’s delivered off half-back with his run.” - Ross Lyon.

Yeah, makes sense Ross. Why would you want him forward? Might kick a few goals and set a bad example for the other forwards.

Sturt couldn't handle the pressure in the Wafl game today playing forward.He was crunched in a tackle and had to come of and didn't return. He isn't ready yet, has only played a hand full of games in the 18,s . It's not hard to work out that he is being slowly worked into the game from halfback.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only watched the first half of the JLT derby, but I thought I noticed Cerra in the forward line. Did he stay there the whole game? IMHO he's ready to step up into the midfield.

I only watched the first half of the JLT derby, but I thought I noticed Cerra in the forward line. Did he stay there the whole game? IMHO he's ready to step up into the midfield.
Unfortunately I didn't get to see the game, but apparently Cerra did play in the midfield against the WC on the weekend.

Felt Sam isn't getting enough love for the extension.

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2019-05-23/sturt-inks-new-deal

I have never been as excited for a draftee (well I probably have but anyway) and stoked we have locked him away. Let's hope the concussions are behind him and he hits his considerable ceiling.
Yes, he is clearly a player who needs development and time so am really glad the club has locked him in.

Fyfe mentoring him; what a great introduction to an AFL career.

Yep definitely a future gun like Morabito,Simpson,Pitt, Palmer,Apeness and crozier looked like being...
pvRGkFl.gif

There’s always one isn’t there!

Gotta go and spoil everything! Surprised you didn’t include Logue in your list tbh...

Or Sheridan (Although I figure he didn't realise that he was picked ahead of Crozier).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back