Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 Rookie Draft Pick: Tobe Watson [Rookie Pick #22]

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-dr...n-ready-to-have-instant-impact-ng-b881030759z

“I always followed St Kilda but one of my best mates Griffin Logue is at Freo,” Watson said.

“I used to go to school with him at Guildford Grammar and I still catch up with him regularly.”
“I love to intercept, take marks,” Watson said.
“I pride myself on foot skills.
“I think I’ve got a pretty good footy IQ.

“That’s why they’ve drafted me. They expect me as a mature-ager to kind of come in and fill a role straight away.

“So I’m going to give it all I’ve got over this pre-season, work really hard and try and get myself into round one.”
Interesting. So:
Tobe is mates with Logue
Bewley and Shultz are team mates
Valente is mates with Giro
Colyer knows Fyfe from Claremont days
Carter has been training with the club a year or so

Seems like a smart play by the club when bringing in new players and you're trying to build a good culture and synergy quickly

Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
But she doesn't count because she's had botox and dyes her hair blonde... If you're a ginger, you have to be a loud and proud ginger, like the gingers above! ;)
Emma Stone dyes her hair so your arguement to discount Nicole is invalid.

What was the knock on Tobe? Seems a confident and ambitious bloke who wants a strong season. I kinda like him already.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Emma Stone dyes her hair so your arguement to discount Nicole is invalid.

What was the knock on Tobe? Seems a confident and ambitious bloke who wants a strong season. I kinda like him already.

Don't tell me Emma Stone dyes her hair... :'(:brokenheart: Actually she does occasionally for roles, you're right, but she mostly rocks the ginge. Kidman has been permanently blonde for many years.

Are you asking me what the knock is on Tobë? I don't have one - good luck to the guy aiming to be B22 off the rookie list by Rd 1. Bailey Banfield did it last year, so why not have the goal.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
So, including "knock-free" Tobe Watson, we have three guys on our list who did not even feature in a single Phantom Draft as far as I can tell. I am perfectly happy with all of them, but gee, that makes me wonder about what a bunch of speculators we are (self included). I am hoping in a short period of time to be lashing a bit of kudos the way of our recruiting spies as well.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
So, including "knock-free" Tobe Watson, we have three guys on our list who did not even feature in a single Phantom Draft as far as I can tell. I am perfectly happy with all of them, but gee, that makes me wonder about what a bunch of speculators we are (self included). I am hoping in a short period of time to be lashing a bit of kudos the way of our recruiting spies as well.

3 Phantom lists included Brett Bewley. Spirit of Norm Smith on Demonland picked him at 63 , the Eagles board Mock Draft picked him at 64 and TheSmythe picked him at 50 on the weirdly named Lachie Brown Phantom Draft.
No one picked Watson or Schultz.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
3 Phantom lists included Brett Bewley. Spirit of Norm Smith on Demonland picked him at 63 , the Eagles board Mock Draft picked him at 64 and TheSmythe picked him at 50 on the weirdly named Lachie Brown Phantom Draft.
No one picked Watson or Schultz.
Cheers Clem (had only looked at the Phantom Drafts Board, and missed him in the Lachie Brown one). By the way I love the work you do on the drafts. Always interesting.

Last edited:

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
Yeah, coming from obscurity to the rookie list and declaring you want a game is great.

When reading on Freo BF today how well Tobe is going it seems he is having a real crack at it and has impressed with his attitude and work ethic. If he can do a Baily Banfield in 2019 it would be a real feather in the cap of our talent identification staff. Still a long way to go but he sounds like a bargain pick up with plenty of upside.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
When reading on Freo BF today how well Tobe is going it seems he is having a real crack at it and has impressed with his attitude and work ethic. If he can do a Baily Banfield in 2019 it would be a real feather in the cap of our talent identification staff. Still a long way to go but he sounds like a bargain pick up with plenty of upside.

Think we also need to acknowledge that he wouldn't have been selected at all if Apeness hadn't pulled the pin at the last minute!!

Wish him well though, seems a really organised footballer with good skills.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought his thread deserved a bump. We finally have another blood nut running around in purple and has shown plenty of composure and courage in his first handful of games. He’s been thrown in the deep end given our injury list and certainly hasn’t disgraced himself. Well done, Tobe!

MadEyeEmmy

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought his thread deserved a bump. We finally have another blood nut running around in purple and has shown plenty of composure and courage in his first handful of games. He’s been thrown in the deep end given our injury list and certainly hasn’t disgraced himself. Well done, Tobe!

Good thinking. Have loved his contribution and hope he stays in the side. I think I could weigh more than him and Duman combined!

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Really like the rookie list being used like this. A talented young player who needs physical development given support and some time.

In a future time when we have a fit list he may need to find another part of the ground to ply his trade.

Jezzitizle

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
He really looked like he had all the time in the world, even when the game was red hot.

Seems to read the flight of the ball better than most too.

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rate him a lot higher than Duman.
Both a similar size and type of player, but Watson seems both more composed with ball in hand & accountable of his player.

a bit to work with here. Not a bad start by Watson & thrown to the wolves really against 2 good teams with an undermanned Freo Defense.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Watson has shown plenty in those 2 games so far to show that he's great depth for our backline (I don't know if he'd ever be in our top 6 defenders). Just so calm and composed.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
He’s a good example of how injuries can create opportunity. I probably would’ve had him in line to be delisted at the end of the year before he debuted.

But he has shown some good AFL attributes - seems to read the play pretty well and make good decisions. He needs to put on some size though, he’s skinny as a rake. Looking forward to seeing more of him

Back