Toast Fremantle's 2018 Category B Rookie Pick: Jason Carter

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Welcome Jason - a familiar face now officially in purple!

Fremantle have secured Next Generation Academy product Jason Carter to their playing list, with the 18-year-old signing as a category B rookie on Friday.

Hailing from Wyndham in the Kimberley, Carter is the first footballer from his hometown to be selected on an AFL list.

The running defender/winger joined Fremantle’s NGA in 2016 following an impressive NAB AFL U16 Championships, where he was named All Australian.

Injuries interrupted Carter’s 2017 season but he went on to be selected to represent WA at the NAB AFL U18 Championships in 2018.

At the WA state combine, Carter recorded a 2.87 second 20m time, which was faster than any time recorded at the national combine.

NGA coach Tendai Mzungu said Carter’s signing was a great result for the player and the club.

“It’s really exciting for Jason and his family,” Mzungu said.

“He’s really developed and matured as a person and it’s really pleasing to see him become our first NGA Fremantle-listed player.

“He’s a very fast player who competes really strongly around the ball. We’ll look to see him run and carry and, hopefully, he’ll get that chance to line up for Freo.”

As a product of the NGA, Mzungu said Carter has already experienced training and working in an AFL environment.

“Obviously, the hard work starts for him now,” Mzungu said.

“The academy gives the players up to three years – depending on how long they’ve been in the system – to get an understanding about what the AFL system is like and the expectations involved.

“For Jason, particularly this year, being able to come in once a week - he’s been able to speak to the players and see them train and how they go about it.

“I think it’s going to hold him in good stead so when he comes in, he should be prepared and able to train at a really high level.”

Mzungu said Carter, who is doing a Certificate III in Horticulture apprenticeship with Aaron Sandilands’ landscaping business, has already shown significant growth on and off the field in his time with the NGA.

“I’m really proud of Jason, we’ve seen a really strong shift in him over the year,” Mzungu said.

“It’s in his maturity and drive that he’s shown. We know that he really wants this and he’s giving himself a really good chance to go on and have an AFL career.

“He’s the first AFL-listed player drafted out of Wyndham, I’m sure the community and his family will be really proud.”

DsqvX8wUUAAkI4_.jpg

Mission Accomplished. Get Carter for free has been a raging success.

Potentially the fastest player in our squad and if our marking talls are on form we could instruct him to break a line and kick as deep as he can, that sort of play won a Norm Smith medal just two years ago.

Mr Fonebone

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Ham
Kid is fast, no doubt about it. But from what I have seen needs to work on disposal. Project player.

Jezzitizle

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Worth a go as a cat b, has some tools just a question of how badly he wants it. He’s got the guys to look up to in the hill brothers, could be a successor to brad eventually.

I reckon he will spend a bit of time over preseason standing on Walters too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
It's a shame - and also a blessing - that he didn't do much this year; but when I saw him training last pre-season I loved his speed and ball use. His highlights package, particularly from his junior years, has some great thrills. Loads of talent.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Probably too raw for a regular pick, but the base talent is def. there. But for his obvious connections to Freo, would not have been a silly move for another club to used a lower pick on him, so really happy he made it to us as a free shot.

Hard work required, but very excited to see where he takes himself over next couple of years.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Probably too raw for a regular pick, but the base talent is def. there. But for his obvious connections to Freo, would not have been a silly move for another club to used a lower pick on him, so really happy he made it to us as a free shot.

Hard work required, but very excited to see where he takes himself over next couple of years.
He has got it. The talent & THE hard work. Very happy with our first academy pick.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Being a Category B rookie doesn’t often matter much tbh.

They can be upgraded to player for a long term injury which is classified as eight weeks or more. I mean how often does an AFL club, especially Freo ever not have a player injured for the duration or longer during the season. Almost never I’d say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back