Prediction Fremantle's 2022 Season

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Only early in the season but it’s not looking good.

Beat Crows by 1 point isn’t a great result. Lucky to get away with the win.

Saints could have destroyed Freo playing away if they kicked straight.

Eagles had half their team out and West Coast reserves are not good. 55 points is ok result but nothing special.

All points to a season in low to mid pack on the ladder. Maybe 7-10 wins.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Only early in the season but it’s not looking good.

Beat Crows by 1 point isn’t a great result. Lucky to get away with the win.

Saints could have destroyed Freo playing away if they kicked straight.

Eagles had half their team out and West Coast reserves are not good. 55 points is ok result but nothing special.

All points to a season in low to mid pack on the ladder. Maybe 7-10 wins.
Eagles had half their team out??
McGovern hurn down back
Nic Nat gaff in mid
Darling jk and Ryan fwd
Spine still looked solid
They had 7 150+ gamers
Freo had 1 player 150+ games
We were missing our starting midfield bar brayshaw.
It shows the power eagles have in the media.
Saints having a big win against the tigers soothed a bit of last weeks pain.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have been disappointed with them so far as I had them pegged as an improver and likely 5-8 team. However, two wins on the board so something to springboard from.

My issue when I watch them is game style and scoring power- they seem very risk averse and even against an anaemic WC team only scraped to 100 points with a big last quarter. Are they going to be able to keep up with higher scoring teams, or think they can lock them down enough to scrap out a win?

I know they’ve got a few key players out too. Be interested to hear Freo supporters’ view on game style and whether I’m way off on that opinion.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I have been disappointed with them so far as I had them pegged as an improver and likely 5-8 team. However, two wins on the board so something to springboard from.

My issue when I watch them is game style and scoring power- they seem very risk averse and even against an anaemic WC team only scraped to 100 points with a big last quarter. Are they going to be able to keep up with higher scoring teams, or think they can lock them down enough to scrap out a win?

I know they’ve got a few key players out too. Be interested to hear Freo supporters’ view on game style and whether I’m way off on that opinion.
I have posted my view.

As I said, freos biggest concern, despite the big win in the derby vs the eagles is the midfield, specifically the inside mids.

I wont deny losing Cerra to carlton in last years trade. Again..... Look at Freos 4 best inside mids.... A 35 year Old Mundy, a 30 year old Fyfe, a 22 year old brayshaw and a 20 year old Serong.

Most teams that made finals or contend finals have a few decent mids aged 24-29.

Freos 2003-6 team that contended finals had inside mids like Peter Bell, Paul Hasleby, Des Headland, Troy Cook, Josh Carr and Matt Carr.

Freos 2012-15 finals side had Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, Neale and Crowley.

Freos rebuild has been solid but also flawed. Had freo nailed a couple of good WA inside mids in the 2015-17 drafts, thats a 2-3 inside mids aged 23-26 in the squad that would of been handy.

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
The flip side to the negativity of some posters is that:

- We were missing four of the top five from last years B&F (Darcy, Mundy, Serong and Cerra) plus our two time Brownlow medalist - and all of them play in the midfield. I was at the game at in the first quarter we had Meek, Brodie, O'Driscoll and Erasmus at the centre bounce - that's a combined 18 games in purple between them.

- We had the second youngest team over the weekend, only marginally ahead of the Crows

- First game of the season with our preferred two tall forwards, who combined for five goals

- Probably our first choice defence started for the first time this year (certainly what many fans think is our best defence) and we kept the Eagles under 50 points

Plus we showed some glimpses of the game style that we saw previewed in pre-season (very similar to the style the Hawks are playing) - we just need to coach the conservatism out of some players.

I think we're still tracking OK for an 8th - 10th finish and getting games into the kids that will serve us well for 2024 onwards.

g_TRAIN

Near a spoon
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think they have a lot of talent, but some are still a little young to be having a big impact yet.

They also need a more offensive gameplan, it's a bit too back and sideways atm.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Eagles had half their team out??
McGovern hurn down back
Nic Nat gaff in mid
Darling jk and Ryan fwd
Spine still looked solid
They had 7 150+ gamers
Freo had 1 player 150+ games
We were missing our starting midfield bar brayshaw.
It shows the power eagles have in the media.
Saints having a big win against the tigers soothed a bit of last weeks pain.
The Age demographics of our list isn’t good.

Our mid aged players are just not elite.

Mundy, and Fyfe are on the way out but we are a very good young core.

Eagles do have power in media but they are seriously in trouble. Their young players are underwhelming.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
OP is a bit hopeful with the Carlton round

Carlton are on a 4 win streak against Fremantle and playing decent footy

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Eagles do have power in media but they are seriously in trouble. Their young players are underwhelming.
mwahaha-laugh.gif

VolgaBoatman

All Australian
Apr 4, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Consistency will be key for Fremantle, as well as availability of the midfielders.

From the Giants game it was impressive how Fremantle won the contested ball and broke even in the clearances given the strength of the Giants is their midfield. Freo has a pretty decent backline, with spots under pressure. Forward line still a work in progress and needs connection with the midfield. We probably have two 2nd tall forwards in Lobb and Taberner, who on their day can get 3-4 goals, but won't dominate a match like other teams have. Small forwards are pretty good, without a superstar. Midfield has seen a surprise output from Will Brodie as a clearance king, if they can get Serong and Fyfe back in the team together then they will compete really well against most teams in that area.

Freo has pace throughout, so they need to make the most of that, and be brave coming out of the back-half. Will be interesting to see how they go next week against an Essendon team that has been a bit down this season.

If Freo can kick a bit straighter, even by 10% they will be challenging for around the 6-8th spot, get it up to 20-25% improvement, and who knows.

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Defence looks solid - as long as 3 of Ryan, Cox, Pearce, Logue and Hamling stay fit we looks pretty good.
Chapman, Aish, Young, walker and Clarke all developing well (Aish not a youngster, but others are all sub 40 game players) - will be up and down you’d think

midfield breaking even thanks to Brodie. Serong back will help, but really need Fyfe to be considered even a reasonable midfield. Having Mundy back really helps.

Forward line is weak, but the smalls are holding it together. We are very reliant on Lobb and Taberner staying fit, and they don’t have a good injury history. Hopefully Josh Treacy gains fitness and form in WAFL after injury interrupted preseason.
Apart from Walters and Colyer, none of the smalls have played 50 games - Frederick, Schultz, switta, o’driscoll (assume he counts as a forward?)

expect some up and downs this year with such a young team, hopefully we keep taking the game on with fat ball movement like last night. Only a very slight chance of making the 8 imo.

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
I think Adelaide will beat them in Round 1, they also haven’t beaten Carlton in Perth since 2018 have lost the last 4 matches against the Blues.

Brisbane and Sydney at Paterson’s are also 50/50 games but I suspect the Lions and Swans will get the chocolates.

Looks like a tough draw to my eyes and could see the Dockers finishing surprisingly low eg 14th.
Nice prediction from our number one fan!

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
He's smiling because deep down he knows it to be sooooo very true!

Sam Petrevski-Seton = Potato 🥔
Luke Edwards = Who?
Campbell Chesser = Could be something...
Brady Hough = lol
Xavier O'Neill = See above
Luke Foley = Delisted at the end of the season
Patrick Naish = Who?
Zane Trew = A Sandover Medallist in waiting
Jack Williams = Who?
Bailey J Williams = Excellent potential
Connor West = Cool haircut dude! Delist
Greg Clark = Who?
Callum Jamieson = Ummm, no
Hugh Dixon = Where have I heard that name before? Ahh yes, of course! He was thrown on the Fremantle scrapheap!
Luke Meadows = Did not even know he existed!
Isiah Winder = I like the cut of his jive!
Oscar Allen = Possesses serious forward craft!

Wow, what a potato show! This crop could win agricultural awards the land over!!

Back