Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2016 National Draft Pick: Sean Darcy [Pick #38]

Remove this Banner Ad

We had to take a ruckman and English was a stretch at our first pick and didn't last to our second.

Whoever we took was going to be a project. The other projects were probably going to be too skinny to be much of a chance of having an impact in 2017. This bloke will definitely need to lose some weight and build his tank but strength won't be an issue. Don't expect to see him pushed out of ball ups like Zarke was.

He certainly knows how to feed the ball to his midfielders. He may turn out to be a dud, but he'll put some pressure on Zarke.

Is it just coincidence or have we deliberately leaned toward the bigger bodied players?

So Darcy is listed at 110 kgs. I still remember back a decade ago we got Warnock as a ruckman and he weighed 79kgs. He played 21 games for us in 2-3 years but he eventually bulked up to 90-95 kgs. I see Darcy playing at least 20-30 games for 3 years out of a possible 66 games. That's not a bad thing.

If I had it my way, for the next 2 seasons, for 2017 and 2018, Freo should play 2 rucks. One that's experienced like Sandi or Griffin the other ruck should be a young guy like Darcy or Apeness. Once Sandi and Griffin go, Apeness and Darcy have at least 20 games under the belt and both are able to lead our ruck division.

So Darcy is listed at 110 kgs. I still remember back a decade ago we got Warnock as a ruckman and he weighed 79kgs. He played 21 games for us in 2-3 years but he eventually bulked up to 90-95 kgs. I see Darcy playing at least 20-30 games for 3 years out of a possible 66 games. That's not a bad thing.

If I had it my way, for the next 2 seasons, for 2017 and 2018, Freo should play 2 rucks. One that's experienced like Sandi or Griffin the other ruck should be a young guy like Darcy or Apeness. Once Sandi and Griffin go, Apeness and Darcy have at least 20 games under the belt and both are able to lead our ruck division.
Yeah his body is already there in terms of sheer size just need to mould him.

Very exciting.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I still don't buy it , but your buddy strnadica looking pretty good in pre season and show lot of potential with some good mark.

Don't know what his turning circle is like but from what I saw at training his hands are every bit as sticky on the lead as the pre-draft reports stated. He's reputed to be a booming kick and decent pack mark.

Sounds like there's a bit to work with if he's prepared to work hard and can stay healthy.

Don't know what his turning circle is like but from what I saw at training his hands are every bit as sticky on the lead as the pre-draft reports stated. He's reputed to be a booming kick and decent pack mark.

Sounds like there's a bit to work with if he's prepared to work hard and can stay healthy.
I agree maybe booming kick is an advantage as hannath don't have that .

Kicking was actually the one thing hannath did well.
Booming kick? His kicking quit accurate but booming he is not loh. Hannath seldom kick 50 m. If you got any footage like 4 or 5 showing hannath booming kick I will raise the white flag. Peel match will be good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Strnadica (can we come up with a shortened nickname for this guy please?) does have a lovely long kick. In a colts game this year I saw him kick a nice goal from outside 50 almost on the boundary line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back