Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2016 National Draft Pick: Sean Darcy [Pick #38]

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgive me if this hasn't been mentioned, but I loved it when Darcy laid that tackle, think it was in the third, and a huge HODOR! echoed throughout the stadium. All time! HODOR!

Freo site has him at 5 last week and 8 this. The herald sun did an article after the Geelong game and said he had 54% to advantage
So 1st game:
40 hitouts - 5 to advantage - (12.5% to advantage)

2nd game:
33 hitouts - 8 to advantage - (24.2% to advantage)

Imagine this kid after a few preseasons.

Freo site has him at 5 last week and 8 this. The herald sun did an article after the Geelong game and said he had 54% to advantage

That was just poor journalism. It impossible to have 40 hitouts at 54% because you can't have 21.6 hitouts. I believe the 54% refers to the amount of ruck contests he won. So he attended 74 stoppages and won the hitout in 54% or 40 of them (which was the 4th highest average for ruckman at the time).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute kudos to the recruiters. knocked this one out of the park.
I distinctly remember watching the draft and seeing Ross and co smiling like Cheshire cats directly after making the pick, which took all of 2 seconds to call out. Had to admit I was surprised at the time given that I remember watching the u18s and Sean was great in the ruck but not around the ground....he was also the fattest kid I have seen play u18s. He was rated as a late or rookie selection, so it was a ballsy pick that looks to have been a masterstroke.....can wait till the big fella gets 3 preseasons into him!

I distinctly remember watching the draft and seeing Ross and co smiling like Cheshire cats directly after making the pick, which took all of 2 seconds to call out. Had to admit I was surprised at the time given that I remember watching the u18s and Sean was great in the ruck but not around the ground....he was also the fattest kid I have seen play u18s. He was rated as a late or rookie selection, so it was a ballsy pick that looks to have been a masterstroke.....can wait till the big fella gets 3 preseasons into him!
Champion Data report on Sean Darcy (pre-season):

"He was the Geelong Falcons' and Vic Country's No.1 ruckman. He is more of a tap ruckman than an around the ground ruck. All his ruck contest numbers ranked elite in both competitions. His 9.3 hitouts-to-advantage ranked No.1 in the TAC Cup, while his score launches and score involvements ranked elite for a ruckman. Around the ground he averaged nine disposals in both competitions."

Champion Data report on Sean Darcy (pre-season):

"He was the Geelong Falcons' and Vic Country's No.1 ruckman. He is more of a tap ruckman than an around the ground ruck. All his ruck contest numbers ranked elite in both competitions. His 9.3 hitouts-to-advantage ranked No.1 in the TAC Cup, while his score launches and score involvements ranked elite for a ruckman. Around the ground he averaged nine disposals in both competitions."

So we got him eating right and got him fit and boom

That was just poor journalism. It impossible to have 40 hitouts at 54% because you can't have 21.6 hitouts. I believe the 54% refers to the amount of ruck contests he won. So he attended 74 stoppages and won the hitout in 54% or 40 of them (which was the 4th highest average for ruckman at the time).
Thanks for clearing this up. My old man was adamant he won 54% hitouts to advantage last week and broke all debut records. Wouldn't budge an inch! Now I can school him using maths and pretend I thought of it myself :thumbsu:

Absolute kudos to the recruiters. knocked this one out of the park.
From memory on draft day when they took him at 38 there was a few big smiles at the table including Ross. Obviously were very keen on him also doing a bit of a lopsided trade with GC to get back into second round for the opportunity to pick him up.

I have to admit I was fairly underwhelmed at the time of our draft last year.

Already though Darcy and Cox look like 200 gamers in the making while Logue and Ryan have shown flashes.

Add in the trades and it was certainly a great offseason.

On Darcy, it's not going to get any easy for him this week. Goldy and Majak Daw to go up against or they bring in the man mountain Pruess. Massive test for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back