Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2016 National Draft Pick: Sean Darcy [Pick #38]

Remove this Banner Ad

Lost_Deputy

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Bundeena
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does anyone know who was asking the majority of those questions re weight etc? Some of the best, most informed questions I've heard asked of a Freo player. It's almost like the journo was, dare I say it...

A FAN

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
The best bit of the article is this imo:

"If I get another pre-season in my belt and hopefully learn my craft up forward I can see that (playing with Sandilands) happening," he said.

"He sits down every week with me and goes over film and just gives me advice about this is what I would do, this is what he would do.

"Even the last few weeks he's been telling me 'this is what I saw', he's been unreal with me."

That relationship between Sandi and Darcy seems awesome. I actually saw Sean and the rest of the first years at Cockburn ARC this arvo in the aquatic centre. No water slide action but they spent some time under the big bucket playing with the kids. Early days but it'd have to be a toss up whether last year's draft class or the 3 amigos + Deluca, Hughes is our best drafting in recent memory?

Recovering from injury and resting are not the same thing.
They are different versions of not being 100% ripe

I don't see the issue with him being rested, we've consistently done that with our young bucks in their first years as part of our player management

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Niggle + playing = injury.

I'm not sure it's fair to jump on the medical team when they rule someone out as much as when they don't rule someone out and they reinjured themselves. It's having your cake and eating it too.
Im just going from the article. There's no niggle, hes just being rested.
My personal opinion is that far to much power is given to the medicos (soft tissue injuries ) when deciding if a player should play or not. Fair enough they have an opinion but the player ultimately knows if they can run at full tilt or not.
In this case, resting a player 'just because' is really just what they think. They dont know he will injure himself. Just like they don't know he won't injure himself the week after.
I know you're a bit of a sporto, if you have links to some science docs around this subject, please pm me. Id love to read them.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
My personal opinion is that far to much power is given to the medicos (soft tissue injuries ) when deciding if a player should play or not. Fair enough they have an opinion but the player ultimately knows if they can run at full tilt or not.

Okay, not a soft tissue injury... But we've seen players try to play out a game with a broken leg.

Feb 18, 2014
Victorian Cheer Squad
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Leyton Orient, Peel, Glory, MU, TCU
Cobden Bombers wall of fame:

DGc5g2EUwAAIgzf.jpg:large

Feb 18, 2014
Victorian Cheer Squad
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Leyton Orient, Peel, Glory, MU, TCU
Congrats to Hodor on the 22-under-22 nomination. Has to be some sort of record for least games played to nomination, and with only him vs Wright (who is also nominated as a forward) battling for the ruck spot, he might just get picked!

Blakely would have to be a good shot in the backline, whereas he would have struggled in the stacked af midfield: Crouch, Cripps, Merrett, Kelly, Oliver, Petracca, Wines, Steele, Heeney and Bonty is a fair old (or young) setup...

22under22_FullSquad_2017-.jpg

One_Wing

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Congrats to Hodor on the 22-under-22 nomination. Has to be some sort of record for least games played to nomination, and with only him vs Wright (who is also nominated as a forward) battling for the ruck spot, he might just get picked!

Blakely would have to be a good shot in the backline, whereas he would have struggled in the stacked af midfield: Crouch, Cripps, Merrett, Kelly, Oliver, Petracca, Wines, Steele, Heeney and Bonty is a fair old (or young) setup...

22under22_FullSquad_2017-.jpg

Cam McCarthy as full forward and captain.

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
Amazing that there literally is not a single ruckman under the age of 22 he can compete with. That's 3-4 years of ruckmen drafted ahead of him.

Darcy >>>>> English
I'm a bit annoyed that they're making up a dual position just to give Darcy some competition. When in reality he has no competition because he's the best

Eski3

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2007
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo
I'm a bit annoyed that they're making up a dual position just to give Darcy some competition. When in reality he has no competition because he's the best

I like it actually. They're like "yeah the other eligible ruckman have played a few games as well but there's really no competition, just stick one of the forwards in there"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back