Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2016 National Draft Pick: Sean Darcy [Pick #38]

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've been complaining about the changed deliberate rule for years. It achieves the opposite its object with it's having to show intent to keep the ball in play. Instead of teams being able to have a reset boundary throw in 10 to 30 metres outside their defensive 50, which means the players of both sides have to spread out down the field to allow for the possibility that the team that was defending might win the clearance, it keeps all 36 players into one half and the defending team generally keep giving the ball back until there is a score.
Sure the ball is in play more but an endless rolling maul like its an Auskick game in the wet is surely not what they had in mind when they changed the rule.

Last edited:
May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I'd imagine that within the next few years, Darcy is going to be the best stoppage player in the competition. He's so absurdly strong that he's basically untackleable / moveable so his lack of speed is mitigated a lot and he's surprisingly quick of thought / smart with his hands. When you combine that with his tapwork, you get a stoppage monster
I thought he'd be pretty good still but man he's exceeding my expectations.

Standing tall
Sean Darcy was a deserved Glendinning-Allan Medal winner after producing numbers we’ve never seen before against one of the best ruckmen of the past decade. Darcy amassed 56 hit-outs, representing the most-ever by any player against a Nic Naitanui-led side – and smashing the previous mark against Nic Nat of 47 by Todd Goldstein in 2015. In the 41 contests where Darcy and Naitanui were directly opposed, Darcy dominated hit-outs 27-8, hit-outs to advantage 7-4, and set up a 20-13 clearance advantage for his team.

handy night

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we're going anywhere in the finals he is the absolute key. He couldn't pick a better time to be coming into peak form.

Back