Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2016 National Draft Pick: Sean Darcy [Pick #38]

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing for Collingwood helps :rolleyes:

+ having a "puncy" hairstyle helps you stand out.

Dairy farmers don't have time for "prettying" themselves up, .............. run through player, pick up the leather and boot the air out of !!!. Simple farmers boys edict.

Brodie Grundy had good first year stats as a 19 year old in 2013. Not as many hit outs as Sean but maybe better around the ground stats. He, of course, got a rising star nom in his 5th game for his body of work.
Pretty the same except hitouts:

Grundy vs Darcy

Hitouts 21.57 vs 34.00
Disposals 12.57 vs 12.25
Goals 0.14 vs 0.13
Clearances 2.43 vs 2.63
Tackles 3.14 vs 4.50
Contested possessions 7.43 vs 7.13

Forgot about Grundy actually. Pretty similar first season. Grundy as well played as lone ruck in 6 out 7 games with mostly only Quinten Lynch as backup.

Darcy had a match winning last quarter in the second semi-final today.

Prior to the draft, only 6 phantom drafts (out of 76 that I recorded) had Darcy getting selected at all. He was the biggest draft bolder in the draft, well ahead of Sam McLarty and Patrick Lipinski. The highest draft pick that anyone picked him was at number 54, the lowest at 88. After the Combine, no one thought him worthy of selection, until the very last week before the draft, when presumably word gets out about who has been interviewed.

So well done Knightmare (in the 2016 Trial run 3/8 and again in his final draft 24/11), DraftMe 21/11, Gee Dub 23/11, FootyProphet 23/11 and Nate7 (North Melbourne phantom draft) 23/11.

Fremantle's talent identification team knew what they were doing, picking him at 38.

Incidentally, Luke Ryan was the third biggest slider out of all players who got drafted with only Patrick Kerr and Brad Scheer dropping further than they were expected to be selected by phantom drafters.

No he won't.

It will still be won by the 6th defender at a club that will feed him the ball and let him run off without a man.

Second place will be a big bodied mid who pushes off opponents with the Dustin Martin moves.
Nah it'll be won by whoever the selector's friend has a big bet on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked the attitude toward the flogs in the crowd as well.
Ha I bet you one of them was that St Kilda flog St Cia***, I don't want to tag him here because he an absolute toss pot. He reports on their board on all things West Aussie and Freo (and even the Eagles) like he has insider knowledge.

I don't care whether he wins it or not - this bloke was a "start the car" draft steal of mammoth proportions.

A natural no nonsense footballer who is probably still 6 or 7 years from playing his best footy. He is going to inflict some serious pain (both physical and mental) on the opposition over his career.

Ha I bet you one of them was that St Kilda flog St Cia***, I don't want to tag him here because he an absolute toss pot. He reports on their board on all things West Aussie and Freo (and even the Eagles) like he has insider knowledge.

And none of it ever comes true.

Which is when he backtracks and says things like '[insert Dockers player] did want to come to the Saints but we lost interest because we're going to be signing a bigger fish now'.

Last edited:

Here's one of his: "everyone over here knows balic and tucker are gone. langdon more likely to go than unlikely". OK, one out of 3 guess maybe.

I'll bet the Bulldogs are kicking themselves they took English ahead of Darcy. It'll be interesting to see who has the better career after 10 years. IMO Darcy has shown so much football intelligence and the only thing holding him back now is his engine.

And none of it ever comes true.

Which is when he backtracks and says things like '[insert Dockers player] did want to come to the Saints but we lost interest because we're going to be signing a bigger fish now'.
I worked out a while back that it was him constantly button mashing on us on the MB, bloke is a cockroach.

That boot. Just wow. 55m bang. The competitive nature too, shhhhhhh, shhhhh. Gonna take a few years, but he'll go beast mode.

I wasn't convinced early like others, the fact he fell for the same trick deep inside our defensive 50 twice (playing afl) and gave away free kicks with the hand over the shoulder. I wasn't sure he was learning from his mistakes, but the progression from the beginning of the year til now is impressive. Those contested marks in front of Litherland (former Hawks player) whom a lot of us wanted to trade for, were ludicrous. He treated him like an under 14s player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back