Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2016 National Draft Pick: Sean Darcy [Pick #38]

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Where would he be selected if you did a redraft of 2016 right now?
I’d have to say top 5.
Mcluggage, Bolton, tom Stewart probably ahead of him. Luke Ryan would also be top 10 in hindsight.
Logue and Cox weren’t bad selections either.
Sensational drafting from Freo here.
Yeah he's 4th at worst with Luke right behind him. Suspect Cox and Logue are in the 10-25 range and will enter the top 10 in time.

Imagine if Cammac could be arsed?

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Big Onions is the perfect example why we need some patience with some of our rookies like Henry, Nod & Valente who have all copped it from time to time.
Sean was considered not mobile enough to make it & yet has rapidly improved that in the last 10-12 weeks. Those blokes above will fix their faults & get better, no doubt. In particular Liam Henry who is far from the finished product.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Big Onions is the perfect example why we need some patience with some of our rookies like Henry, Nod & Valente who have all copped it from time to time.
Sean was considered not mobile enough to make it & yet has rapidly improved that in the last 10-12 weeks. Those blokes above will fix their faults & get better, no doubt. In particular Liam Henry who is far from the finished product.
Darcy is like the polar opposite example of those players, his debut game was amazing and he has held his own at AFL level ever since.

He has been quality from day dot...

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Darcy is like the polar opposite example of those players, his debut game was amazing and he has held his own at AFL level ever since.

What, are you being serious? Great first game, inconsistent for the next 3 years & great this year.

You only need to go back 6 pages on this thread to see the concerns. As recent as the beginning of this season people were wanting Meek as starting ruck.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
What, are you being serious? Great first game, inconstant for the next 3 years & great this year.

You only need to go back 6 pages on this thread to see the concerns. As recent as the beginning of this season people were wanting Meek as starting ruck.
People were worried about the injuries, when he was on the park he was a good player.

People were worried we would invest into Darcy only for him to not get on the park for the majority of time.

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
People were worried about the injuries, when he was on the park he was a good player.

People were worried we would invest into Darcy only for him to not get on the park for the majority of time.
I remember watching Meek and thinking he was a better fit for the modern game. Bit more mobile and a pretty good field kick.

Darcy's come a long long way this year.

On SM-A217F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah he's 4th at worst with Luke right behind him. Suspect Cox and Logue are in the 10-25 range and will enter the top 10 in time.

Imagine if Cammac could be arsed?
Yeah the cammac trade was a failure in isolation but really we traded back from 3 to 7 for him.
On the surface that looks like we gave up Mcluggage for Logue and Cam Mac.
However that wasn’t quite the case actually. Brisbane originally had pick 2 and we had pick 3. They were always picking Mcluggage with their first pick and so we never had access to Hugh.
If we didn’t do the trade with GWS and held pick 3, we could have had Taranto.
GWS were keen on Taranto and so Brisbane slid back from 2 to 3, safe in the knowledge that Mcluggage was going to end up at the Gabba either way.
A nice example of smart trading by the Lions, they got pick 16 from GWS in exchange for some picks from 31 to 50 as part of the trade downwards from pick 2 to pick 3.
Then they took Jarrod Berry at pick 16. A nice wee bonus.

Useful to know this in future years if you ever hear any flog opposition supporters goading freo for missing out on Mcluggage.
He was never available to us.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Yeah the cammac trade was a failure in isolation but really we traded back from 3 to 7 for him.
On the surface that looks like we gave up Mcluggage for Logue and Cam Mac.
However that wasn’t quite the case actually. Brisbane originally had pick 2 and we had pick 3. They were always picking Mcluggage with their first pick and so we never had access to Hugh.
If we didn’t do the trade with GWS and held pick 3, we could have had Taranto.
GWS were keen on Taranto and so Brisbane slid back from 2 to 3, safe in the knowledge that Mcluggage was going to end up at the Gabba either way.
A nice example of smart trading by the Lions, they got pick 16 from GWS in exchange for some picks from 31 to 50 as part of the trade downwards from pick 2 to pick 3.
Then they took Jarrod Berry at pick 16. A nice wee bonus.

Useful to know this in future years if you ever hear any flog opposition supporters goading freo for missing out on Mcluggage.
He was never available to us.
GWS really wanted McGrath but Essendon settled on him late, so they went Taranto,

We actually got a 2nd round and a 3rd round pick in the cam Mac trade

Second round being either cox or Darcy (cbf looking it up) and 3rd round being Ryan, we absolutely won that trade

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
GWS really wanted McGrath but Essendon settled on him late, so they went Taranto,

We actually got a 2nd round and a 3rd round pick in the cam Mac trade

Second round being either cox or Darcy (cbf looking it up) and 3rd round being Ryan, we absolutely won that trade
Yeah we definitely won the trade.
But it would have been the greatest trade of all time if it didn’t include McCarthy.
Thank god we didn’t hand over our 2015 and 16 first rounders for him the year before though, as was mooted.
Would have actually destroyed the footy club for a generation.
Scary to think how close that calamity came to occurring.

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah we definitely won the trade.
But it would have been the greatest trade of all time if it didn’t include McCarthy.
Thank god we didn’t hand over our 2015 and 16 first rounders for him the year before though, as was mooted.
Would have actually destroyed the footy club for a generation.
Scary to think how close that calamity came to occurring.

if it didn’t include him, or if he got his s**t together. A motivated Cam, like we saw very rarely, was pretty dangerous, would have been handy v Carlton as the 3rd fwd.

Makes me shudder thinking of the offer they made the year before.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Hate to be that guy but ...
Comments like this sh*t me like nothing else.

Hate a guy as much as you want ... call them out for getting things wrong or being bad at their job but publicly (and privately) calling for them to die is ridiculous.
The affect that can have on not just the individual but their loved ones is ridiculous... I can't imagine much worse than going online only to see people wishing my partner or my family were dead.

Whilst i recognise your comment is tongue-in-cheek and there's no malice intended - this thread and board is full of them and this just happens to be the one where I decided I've seen enough.

Here's hoping that we can do better as a board and make our forums a better place.

On SM-A217F using BigFooty.com mobile app
3 hail Mary's.
😂

muckypup

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Bayswater Bowling & Rec Club
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The WACA's

Came in, looked like a giant baby, you can see the bloke has enormous heart and plays his guts out a real 'will to win'. Agree. Has killed it from the start.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
What, are you being serious? Great first game, inconstant for the next 3 years & great this year.

Absolutely.
Whilst I was no where near that camp and had total faith he’d end up where he is now and still improving, it bewildered me the amount of posters who were writing him off ...

As you say people were preferring meek only 6 mths ago as our new no 1 based off a couple half decent pre season games 🤦‍♂️ and thinking he was so much more mobile ,lol,some even suggesting we keep him and trade Darcy ,usually for someone like English(dean cox syndrome)-but but but he’s so mobile!, he’s like another midfielder ! wank wank wank ,conveniently forgetting the number one role of a ruckman is to erm.. ruck and English (like a lot of “mobile “ rucks is absolute garbage at it.

Amazingly for a club that’s just enjoyed the services of one of the great tap ruckman of all time and Sean’s biggest influence I was constantly amazed at these continued calls he’s not mobile enough etc when what he does do eg rucking ! is just about the best in the business at it , with still so much scope for improvement!

mark it down, just like Sandi will become close to our best /most important player if isn’t far off already

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Absolutely.
Whilst I was no where near that camp and had total faith he’d end up where he is now and still improving, it bewildered me the amount of posters who were writing him off ...

As you say people were preferring meek only 6 mths ago as our new no 1 based off a couple half decent pre season games 🤦‍♂️ and thinking he was so much more mobile ,lol,some even suggesting we keep him and trade Darcy ,usually for someone like English(dean cox syndrome)-but but but he’s so mobile!, he’s like another midfielder ! wank wank wank ,conveniently forgetting the number one role of a ruckman is to erm.. ruck and English (like a lot of “mobile “ rucks is absolute garbage at it.

Amazingly for a club that’s just enjoyed the services of one of the great tap ruckman of all time and Sean’s biggest influence I was constantly amazed at these continued calls he’s not mobile enough etc when what he does do eg rucking ! is just about the best in the business at it , with still so much scope for improvement!

mark it down, just like Sandi will become close to our best /most important player if isn’t far off already
100%.

Meek did well enough and played a role, he hasn't got having on Darcy.

Darcy is the best young ruck in the AFL>

People talk that he isn't mobile enough but only Grundy out run him. Even then, one goal was a result from swapping with Lobb at the wrong time.

Darcy rates 46th best in the AFL and 3rd best at Fremantle in clearances. 4th best in hit outs, and 34th in contested marks.

While I want Meek in the team until Taberner gets back for structurally reasons doesn't mean that Meek is even closed to Darcy.

Against the Blues we won the clearances and inside 50's. A lot of times the Blues intercept marked against a very small forward line.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
100%.

Meek did well enough and played a role, he hasn't got having on Darcy.

Darcy is the best young ruck in the AFL>

People talk that he isn't mobile enough but only Grundy out run him. Even then, one goal was a result from swapping with Lobb at the wrong time.

Darcy rates 46th best in the AFL and 3rd best at Fremantle in clearances. 4th best in hit outs, and 34th in contested marks.

While I want Meek in the team until Taberner gets back for structurally reasons doesn't mean that Meek is even closed to Darcy.

Against the Blues we won the clearances and inside 50's. A lot of times the Blues intercept marked against a very small forward line.
That's not really what happened. The Blues key defenders only took 5 contested marks for the game and 4 of those were Weitering. I.E. Most were on Lobb who was taller (if not heavier) than his opponent. Weitering and Jones had a further 11 intercept possession between them (I.E. uncontested) and the rest of their defense 16 intercept possessions for just 1 more contested mark.
The forwards smalls didn't get marked over. The incoming kicks were either pressured / poorly executed or they were out of position too often.

DaveLister

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
The result of Darcy's hard work and dominance can be seen in his elite score launches.

All those hit outs to advantage, first posession clearances, contested ball and marks. Where he starts the possesion chain that results in a score.

Darcy is the best in the league with 4.3 per game. Not best among ruckmen, best in the league. Although ruckmen do dominate this stat

Actually he the smokes the league, next best is Nic Natanui averaging 3.7. Then another huge gap down to Grundy Gawn and Hickey with 2.7-2.8.

In fact, his numbers look historically impressive too. Nic Nat's best year in 2016, he averaged 4.0

Brownlow medalists
2015 Fyfe averaged 2.5
As did Martin in 2017
2.1 for Danger is 2016-17

TLDR; Darcy is on track to smash the season record for average Score Launches.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
That's not really what happened. The Blues key defenders only took 5 contested marks for the game and 4 of those were Weitering. I.E. Most were on Lobb who was taller (if not heavier) than his opponent. Weitering and Jones had a further 11 intercept possession between them (I.E. uncontested) and the rest of their defense 16 intercept possessions for just 1 more contested mark.
The forwards smalls didn't get marked over. The incoming kicks were either pressured / poorly executed or they were out of position too often.

That’s pretty bad, our number 1 key forward conceded 4 intercept contested marks. That’s atrocious. Lobb should use his big tank up the ground. I think he’s far better outside 50.

An intercept mark often occurs when the key forward is tied down by the key backman and another defender intercept marks. That’s on the small (who should be a medium) to contest that mark OR the key forward to so better and bring that ball to ground. Both scenario’s highlight we should be a bit taller up front.

ignoramus

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
That’s pretty bad, our number 1 key forward conceded 4 intercept contested marks. That’s atrocious. Lobb should use his big tank up the ground. I think he’s far better outside 50.

An intercept mark often occurs when the key forward is tied down by the key backman and another defender intercept marks. That’s on the small (who should be a medium) to contest that mark OR the key forward to so better and bring that ball to ground. Both scenario’s highlight we should be a bit taller up front.
isn't it on the umpire to pay the free for blocking?

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
The result of Darcy's hard work and dominance can be seen in his elite score launches.

All those hit outs to advantage, first posession clearances, contested ball and marks. Where he starts the possesion chain that results in a score.

Darcy is the best in the league with 4.3 per game. Not best among ruckmen, best in the league. Although ruckmen do dominate this stat

Actually he the smokes the league, next best is Nic Natanui averaging 3.7. Then another huge gap down to Grundy Gawn and Hickey with 2.7-2.8.

In fact, his numbers look historically impressive too. Nic Nat's best year in 2016, he averaged 4.0

Brownlow medalists
2015 Fyfe averaged 2.5
As did Martin in 2017
2.1 for Danger is 2016-17

TLDR; Darcy is on track to smash the season record for average Score Launches.

Yep 11.43 109 is pretty impressive from that stat

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Back