Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2016 National Draft Pick: Sean Darcy [Pick #38]

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
I said this to my brother this arvo. On his last six weeks at the moment it goes Gawn>Darcy>Daylight.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They were desperate to fit 2 rucks into the AA team when the standouts were Grundy and Gawn, but that was two Victorian clubs.

Maybe if Swaggy can keep it up until the last round they’ll give him a bench spot. He’s past Grundy and Naitanui this year, but probably not Gawn.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Lol, remember when people wanted to trade this guy.

Certain sections of this board are ridiculously quick to write young players off. Same thing happened with Neale, Logue, and Cox too, to name a few. You saw it happening a bit with Henry earlier too.

It's as if people can't comprehend how much of a massive step up the AFL is to other levels and just expect young kids to be the finished product from day 1.

Probably ties in with how impatient people are with rebuilds too. 'What, it's been 4 years without finals and those kids we drafted are now 19, 20, and 21 and still not dominating? Rebuild failed!'

wahooo

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Certain sections of this board are ridiculously quick to write young players off. Same thing happened with Neale, Logue, and Cox too, to name a few. You saw it happening a bit with Henry earlier too.

It's as if people can't comprehend how much of a massive step up the AFL is to other levels and just expect young kids to be the finished product from day 1.

Probably ties in with how impatient people are with rebuilds too. 'What, it's been 4 years without finals and those kids we drafted are now 19, 20, and 21 and still not dominating? Rebuild failed!'
Better write off JL while we're at it, hasn't won a premiership yet.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would he be the strongest mark of any ruckman in the AFL at the moment?

He's certainly miles ahead of what Sandi used to do in that dept.

And I was thinking it's nice to have a ruckman that can actually kick, thinking of when Sandi did get a mark or a free he'd just turn around and have to wait for someone to run past.Theres none of that with Darcy.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Possibly the most influential player in the comp over the past month. What a star he is going to be. With all respect to Cez, this is the bloke we should have been giving $750k over 4 years.

also, this is not directed at you per se, but I wish the media would understand he signed a 2 year EXTENSION, not a 2 year contract, he’s signed until the end of the 2024 season.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
also, this is not directed at you per se, but I wish the media would understand he signed a 2 year EXTENSION, not a 2 year contract, he’s signed until the end of the 2024 season.
Yeah I just meant from a contextual point of view. Although I reckon by the time he’s a RFA in 2025 we would have freed up Fyfe’s substantial salary so hopefully we can afford to keep the band together by then anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Spot on. They're young men - and considering puberty finishes at around 25, most of them haven't finished puberty yet... They're still growing up.

Sounds like a few of their critics need to do a bit of growing up too.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Tbf tho the umps haven’t seemed to apply the Sandi rule to him yet-(keeps this up tho and it’s good chance)
-where suddenly arm chopping is allowed

That's true. He gets the Darcy rule instead where the opposition are allowed to block him at bounces while he's not allowed to even breathe on them.

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Two AFL draft examples that proved club recruiters wrong - SEN (quoting former Geelong Falcons Talent Manager Mick Turner)

“Another big example was Sean Darcy, this year at Fremantle he won their best and fairest, so he’s turned into a very elite player,” he continued.

“But at the time he came to us he was from Cobden, he was from a country family, eating country food, he was a border at Xavier, and Xavier when you’re a border, you’ve got to eat basically what’s given to you,” he continued.

“He was making the effort to come down on a train at least once a week to train with us, he was doing everything right, but a lot of recruiters looked at him and thought his skinfolds are high, he’s got to be lazy, he’s not dedicated enough, all these sorts of things.

“It depends on how you sell it to the recruiters.

“I just said to them, ‘Look, these are his circumstances. If you draft Sean Darcy and think he’s good enough, and you think your club’s professional enough to get him to improve … you get him fit, you get his skin folds down, weight down, he’s going to become a much better player because he’s a great kid and going to work really hard’.

“ That’s what happened, he went away and worked really hard and now he’s the best and fairest winner at Fremantle.”

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Two AFL draft examples that proved club recruiters wrong - SEN (quoting former Geelong Falcons Talent Manager Mick Turner)

“Another big example was Sean Darcy, this year at Fremantle he won their best and fairest, so he’s turned into a very elite player,” he continued.

“But at the time he came to us he was from Cobden, he was from a country family, eating country food, he was a border at Xavier, and Xavier when you’re a border, you’ve got to eat basically what’s given to you,” he continued.

“He was making the effort to come down on a train at least once a week to train with us, he was doing everything right, but a lot of recruiters looked at him and thought his skinfolds are high, he’s got to be lazy, he’s not dedicated enough, all these sorts of things.

“It depends on how you sell it to the recruiters.

“I just said to them, ‘Look, these are his circumstances. If you draft Sean Darcy and think he’s good enough, and you think your club’s professional enough to get him to improve … you get him fit, you get his skin folds down, weight down, he’s going to become a much better player because he’s a great kid and going to work really hard’.

“ That’s what happened, he went away and worked really hard and now he’s the best and fairest winner at Fremantle.”
Not hard to see why. Every pre season Darcy loses the fat and gains muscle. He’s a professional.
Find it funny that recruiters are worried about skinfolds yet see skinny teenagers as having raw potential. That’s the case for Tim English, in the exact same draft. He’s a freaking lightweight still. You’d much rather a big lad who needs to lose the fat rather then a skinny lad who struggles to gain muscle.

Nov 7, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not hard to see why. Every pre season Darcy loses the fat and gains muscle. He’s a professional.
Find it funny that recruiters are worried about skinfolds yet see skinny teenagers as having raw potential. That’s the case for Tim English, in the exact same draft. He’s a freaking lightweight still. You’d much rather a big lad who needs to lose the fat rather then a skinny lad who struggles to gain muscle.
Particularly in a ruckman.

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I always found it baffling how much disdain and lack of awareness (including myself) many freo fans had with him. I think Grundy has skewed the fans perception of expecting ruckman to come on immediately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back