Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I have been keen on Valente as recruit from the start of the year and can't but help feel this is a great get at this pick - I am really stoked about the first two picks in particular in him and Sturt.

I reckon he has a really good core strength that sees shake off tackles and the kicking is pretty good coupled with him being one of the top 3 leader types in this draft. Obviously needs to do a bit to improve the endurance and speed but with his work ethic I reckon this can be got to a level where he can be a very serviceable player.

Hammersoup12

Senior List
Sep 15, 2014
You recon #29 might be a bit much pressure? Sounds like he might be the next captain if he can get past Brayshaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why do they care about valente? Was he linked to them or something? Personally I couldn't give a s**t about the bloke they picked up instead
They all wanted him but when they overlooked him with their first pick, they hoped he’d last until their second. Once we took him, all of a sudden he was overrated and something must be wrong with him because both they and the SA clubs didn’t pick him with any of their multiple selections before ours.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
I love how one of the knocks on him is that he's slow, yet he led the Championships in clearances, which means he gets to a lot of contests, which means his speed ain't that much of an issue after. He's a footballer. Knows where to run so doesn't need to be quick. Rather him than 'Time trial Tim Sheridan' any day of the week.

Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I love how one of the knocks on him is that he's slow, yet he led the Championships in clearances, which means he gets to a lot of contests, which means his speed ain't that much of an issue after. He's a footballer. Knows where to run so doesn't need to be quick. Rather him than 'Time trial Tim Sheridan' any day of the week.
I'd take a footy brain over an athlete anyday!

He knows where to be and when he has it he puts it to the right places.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
I remember another kid that slid to us in a draft a few years ago.

That turned out pretty poorly for all involved.

Hopefully Valente slid due to other clubs making an error, not FFC making an error.

Looking forward to seeing this play out.

LeftFootBanana

All Australian
Aug 7, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
In fairness Balic didn't have his best mate here and I don't remember him saying he couldn't wait to get here. In fact I seem to recall his parents offered Harley $70k to stay in Melbourne.

I think Valente's lack of pace may have been the reason he slid but Mick Barlow went ok and I reckon this kid will too.

Hopefully Valente slid due to other clubs making an error, not FFC making an error.

I get what you're saying but I seriously doubt they slid for the same reason. Balic clearly had oodles of talent but didnt have the fortitude, desire or character. Valente oozes character being captain of wherever he plays (including the best U18 SA side in history if the draft numbers are anything to go by).

Suspect Valente slid due to a number of reasons such as speed and club need. That group of 20-40 was incredibly subjective by club from all reports

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mitchell , Priddis both slow Brownlow medal winning midfielders.

At this stage, a bloke who was given the captaincy of the best state championship side of the last decade is a reasonably safe choice and perfect candidate for #29.

Early call but will be a 200 game player.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

The jury is still out on Tucker :oops:

Galapagoose

Debutant
Jan 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's okay that he's slow but you can't have too many of them. If we lose the stoppage and Fyfe, Cerra, Blakely and Valente are there, good luck getting the ball back.

Still think he's great value at that pick. But very concerned about our inside mid speed especially moving into the future.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's okay that he's slow but you can't have too many of them. If we lose the stoppage and Fyfe, Cerra, Blakely and Valente are there, good luck getting the ball back.

Still think he's great value at that pick. But very concerned about our inside mid speed especially moving into the future.
Especially with the 6-6-6 centre clearances.

I rewatched a couple of the SA U18 games this weekend. Valente isn’t slow, he just isn’t fast. He looks a lot like a slightly quicker version of Mundy. Just seems to find the ball, and when he has it, you can relax because you know he’ll hit a target.

We are looking a little slow for inside/outside players. This is where SHill and (gulp) Walters are quite important. Maybe a couple of the following can develop a bit more of an inside game to help out: Langdon, Tucker, Bewley, or Carter. Actually, Crowden would be quite handy if he can build his AFL tank!

Back