Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2018 National Draft Pick: Luke Valente [Pick #32]

Remove this Banner Ad

We have plenty; Hilly, Billy, Langdon, Colyer, Giro, Wilson. We lost Neale and got smashed at the contest last season. Inside mid depth is what we need to build.
Also we added Bewley who broke Brayshaw’s YoYo record and ran sub 3secs and we added Carter who has gone on some nice long dashes in colts and U18. Understandably needs to improve his tank big time, but Wilson’s tank isn’t the best.

I would expect Brayshaw and Crowden to be similar types to Neale.

From what I’ve seen of Valente he is a more upright (less time on the ground and at the bottom of the packs) and balanced footballer. Good in traffic clean hands and neat kicking skills. Similar to Blakely in traffic but skills similar to Jordan Lewis.

Shame we didn’t have room for Tom Lewis who is very good mates with Valente and Crowden. Perhaps we could add him to the squad if we get a season ending injury either before 17 March or the mid-season draft.

Simon Black was a running beast, he used to work the beep test hard in an era where they would get on the drink and then roll up to training without sleeping.

I'm obviously a huge fan but Simon was able to capitalise on professionalism in a sport that wasn't there quite yet.

So this is just verboten in footy right? ... otherwise I could be in trouble!

So this is just verboten in footy right? ... otherwise I could be in trouble!
I think current policy is to not show up for the training session, then if you're a good bloke it's no big deal but if you have history you get banished to the WAFL.

Simon Black has some stories. It's a new AFL.

Valente is not fast but decent in traffic, a good user and clearance player but not necessarily first possession = Mundy

Blakely I don't see so much I think because he is reasonably quick (unlikely Luke) and not a great user (unlike Luke).
Blakely dropped a bit because he wasnt considered quick at the time of the drafting. In a couple of the draft profiles I read after we drafted Connor they mentioned speed as a weakness. Connor's not slow though, so either the draft reports where inaccurate or he has worked on it a ton since being drafted. Im not sure Valente is slow. He's just not overly quick. I see him more of a smaller but quicker version of Mundy with attributes similar to Neale in terms of winning contested football.

If he is as good off both feet as reported then he will be a lot faster in play as he will be able to move either way at will which throws the defense off balance.

I think he will be a fairly early debutant and that he, Brayshaw and Cerra will be 20 possession a game players. Brayshaw more.

Blakely dropped a bit because he wasnt considered quick at the time of the drafting. In a couple of the draft profiles I read after we drafted Connor they mentioned speed as a weakness. Connor's not slow though, so either the draft reports where inaccurate or he has worked on it a ton since being drafted. Im not sure Valente is slow. He's just not overly quick. I see him more of a smaller but quicker version of Mundy with attributes similar to Neale in terms of winning contested football.

Quigley talked about it (Blakely) at the time - he reckoned the got the times for a few players wrong or mixed up. Blakely is definitely quick over the first 5m where he gets separation.

Simon Black was apparently a slow conveyance and looked how he turned out. Its not all about leg speed ,reflexs and quickness of mind is just as important.
and... Greg Williams, Robert Harvey, Dipper, Gerard Healy, Sam Mitchell, Tom Mitchell etc. All slow but were/are pure footballers. too much is place on athletic traits when reading the play, hand/eye and skills rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and... Greg Williams, Robert Harvey, Dipper, Gerard Healy, Sam Mitchell, Tom Mitchell etc. All slow but were/are pure footballers. too much is place on athletic traits when reading the play, hand/eye and skills rule.
The obvious rejoinder here is would they have been better players if they had also been quicker: Yes. The best players are kind of irrelevant. It's more the average ones, which most players are. Are you more likely to succeed in modern footy with average pace but goodish touch and play reading, or the reverse. I'd argue, kicking notwithstanding, it's the reverse.

The value of slow inside midfielders has decreased because the number of stoppages has decreased. There will always be place in teams for the best of these players but the days of playing 4 or 5 of them are gone.

Also point of order: wasn't Dipper a winger? I don't remember him being slow despite his, errr, height.

The obvious rejoinder here is would they have been better players if they had also been quicker: Yes. The best players are kind of irrelevant. It's more the average ones, which most players are. Are you more likely to succeed in modern footy with average pace but goodish touch and play reading, or the reverse. I'd argue, kicking notwithstanding, it's the reverse.

The value of slow inside midfielders has decreased because the number of stoppages has decreased. There will always be place in teams for the best of these players but the days of playing 4 or 5 of them are gone.

Also point of order: wasn't Dipper a winger? I don't remember him being slow despite his, errr, height.
I disagree that they would have been better players if they had been quicker. Pace was irrelevant to any of the players (Greg Williams, Robert Harvey, Dipper, Gerard Healy, Sam Mitchell, Tom Mitchell etc) as they win the ball at the contest. Their lack of pace (bar dipper who was pretty quick) helped define their role in the team and allowed those players to develop games to their strengths. Williams for example wouldnt have always been looking for the handpass out directly from winning the ball 9f he had a bit more pace. SamMitchel wouldnt have developed his speed of hand as well if he hadnt been forced to develop that gamestyle due to lacking pace.

Personally think pace mean nothing if a player cant use the ball. Brett Peake could break away from his man, but then butcher the ball. Ditto Clayton Hinkley and countless others. Valente looks like he could be more effective with the football with one step from a pack situation than plenty of quicker players we've had on our list would be after using their pace to get clear and butchering the ball. While stoppages have decreased in recent years the amount of contested ball situations in each game has increased, which is where a player like Valente could provide value. For the record is it possible some are overstating the issue with Valente's pace?.He won a considerable amount of football in uncontested situations at the underage champs and didnt even test at the combine, so im not sure if it as big an issue as some are making out.

Last edited:
Valente is the one I am most excited and hopeful about. Leadership qualities, determination, and skills.

Anyone else get sucked into the foley vs valente debate on the west coast board and regret it because all the eagles supporters are doing is baiting us and reminding fremantle supporters that we haven't won a premiership. To think I went their to have an honest debate about why is makes sense for both clubs to draft as they did because of filling the needs for their respective teams. I should have run as soon as I realised it was on the west coast board. Honestly on bigfooty I think the worst groups of supporters are west coast( nasty just very nasty), essedon (very touchy), Richmond (yes we know you won a flag) and carlton (so arrogant).

Another thing about pace, is the game is very much about team defence, zoning and positioning. Faster players can setup quicker. Slower players cannot. A team can carry some slow players, but you can’t have too many, so only the best will survive. Being a first possession player definitely helps (Cripps) but if your team doesn’t win possession, slow players are becoming more of a liability. You only have the ball in hand for a second or two, so the rest of the time without ball in hand is pretty important.

As for Valente, I’m pretty excited to see what he can offer. Looks like a slightly faster David Mundy to me and a great pickup at 32.

Anyone else get sucked into the foley vs valente debate on the west coast board and regret it because all the eagles supporters are doing is baiting us and reminding fremantle supporters that we haven't won a premiership. To think I went there to have an honest debate about why is makes sense for both clubs to draft as they did because of filling the needs for their respective teams. I should have run as soon as I realised it was on the west coast board. Honestly on bigfooty I think the worst groups of supporters are west coast( nasty just very nasty), essedon (very touchy), Richmond (yes we know you won a flag) and carlton (so arrogant).
I think I have isolated the problem

Lukes mother works at the same place i do, so i see her quite often.

Spoke to her 2-3 days after the draft and she said he was absolutely stoked to be drafted by us. She said that the whole situation "just felt right".

Luke actually wanted to be drafted interstate and has no interest in the Adelaide clubs apparently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back