Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2018 National Draft Pick: Luke Valente [Pick #32]

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting after the GC draft video they didn’t think that Valente was going to make it to their pick 26

Also that a few players including Sturt had to be picked up so GWS would be open to trading their pick. They obviously rated Sturt and thought he would be picked up.
The Sturt one was by pick 21 (GWS pick) so thats fair enough but yeah they rated Valente highly, if no Mclennan then they would have taken him at 23, lucky they traded their 2 pick to West Coast, WC passed on him and he slid to us, bloody score.

Still can’t believe we got him
Like previous posts you only have to look at all the past champions with similar games that were all sliders or weren’t picked up straight away because the didn’t have eye catching pace, booming kicks or tall athletic builds
Championship winning captain and school captain so his no knuckle head either!

Still can’t believe we got him
Like previous posts you only have to look at all the past champions with similar games that were all sliders or weren’t picked up straight away because the didn’t have eye catching pace, booming kicks or tall athletic builds
Championship winning captain and school captain so his no knuckle head either!
Us school captain types generally aren't knuckle heads.;)

Simon Black was a running beast, he used to work the beep test hard in an era where they would get on the drink and then roll up to training without sleeping.

I'm obviously a huge fan but Simon was able to capitalise on professionalism in a sport that wasn't there quite yet.

Simon was the best because he could read the game better than anyone I've ever seen.

He was exceptionally lucky that his back pains during his mid teens went away otherwise he may have struggled to play footy.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but it's an interesting read including the comments (and one from his Mum):
https://www.footyalmanac.com.au/luke-valente-elite-leader/

A common theme is that he has always been willing to learn and improve, and he brings others into games, so there's nothing stopping him from becoming an A grade midfielder IMO and he won't just be another foot soldier or fringe player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies if this has been posted before, but it's an interesting read including the comments (and one from his Mum):

A common theme is that he has always been willing to learn and improve, and he brings others into games, so there's nothing stopping him from becoming an A grade midfielder IMO and he won't just be another foot soldier or fringe player.
I was stocked we got him at the pick we did , He was on my shortlist for our first pick , And it appears he is a high quality individual as well

Just read He won the MVP for SA under 18’s team full of superstars ? Rankine, Rozee, Lukoscius .....
he has a de Boer sound about him to me. I'm not particularly knocking or praising either, but recognising that he would have a pretty reasonable floor to what he can become at AFL level. Perhaps not a high ceiling.

In a rebuild, which is more important; the floor or the ceiling?

he has a de Boer sound about him to me. I'm not particularly knocking or praising either, but recognising that he would have a pretty reasonable floor to what he can become at AFL level. Perhaps not a high ceiling.

the walls and the stumps....

the walls and the stumps....
Which is a decent spine functioning forward, defence and midfield plus some weapons (like fyfe hopefully sturt, cerra, brayshaw, hogan, bennell, darcy, logue and any others I missed).
Id say he contributes to a functioning midfield.

And Matt Deboer has played over 150 games so must be doing something right

Not sure I agree, Valente looks like he can kick and a good decision maker, loved DeBoer but feel the only comparison is the captainancy.

Saying that as mentioned below Deboers played 150 and a GF as well as more finals than anyone on the Dockers list so not exactly the worst person to be compared to. Happy for Valentes floor to be the same as DeBoer

Not sure I agree, Valente looks like he can kick and a good decision maker, loved DeBoer but feel the only comparison is the captainancy.

Saying that as mentioned below Deboers played 150 and a GF as well as more finals than anyone on the Dockers list so not exactly the worst person to be compared to. Happy for Valentes floor to be the same as DeBoer

As long as it’s his floor, it’d be satisfactory. Let’s be clear, De Boer is a battler who has got by on being a strong, mobile trier who’s a good bloke and a top clubman. I’m hoping Valente is more than a trier, and I think he is. If he turns out to be like De Boer it’d be slightly disappointing and the way some are booming him up on this thread, there be a lot that are massively disappointed!

Good article. The other thing that stands out, he is a quality person and raises funds for charity. We have obviously placed an emphasis on character over the past few drafts and this kid ticks all of the boxes. The fact that he was chosen captain of an SA team of stars speaks volumes. Add to that good skills and work ethic and I am tipping an early debut for him.

And Matt Deboer has played over 150 games so must be doing something right
He has indeed. A leader and a very useful player.

I'm talking about their character, not their game style or position. A leader and a very useful player. AA at under 18, but not star material. Hard worker, committed to improving. Genuine clubman.

He has indeed. A leader and a very useful player.

I'm talking about their character, not their game style or position. A leader and a very useful player. AA at under 18, but not star material. Hard worker, committed to improving. Genuine clubman.

Valente is more than a de Boer type though. Not only is he a good, honest inside ball winner with leadership capacity, he is also acknowledged as a fine distributor of the ball by hand and, importantly, off both feet. He has the potential to turn himself into a star player at AFL level given these characteristics, in perhaps the same way that Joel Selwood did.

As a sidenote, de Boer had limited disposal even off his preferred right foot and generally took a long time to make disposal decisions!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back