Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2018 National Draft Pick: Luke Valente [Pick #32]

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke kicks better off his non preferred than Matt does on his preferred.
Footy wise I don't think there's much point to the comparison really.

His elite work rate, toughness, terrific hands, decision making, ball winning, tackling and ability to execute with high efficiency off either side remind me more of the likes of Fletcher/Bell.
He'll be his own player though. Obviously a thinker.
Engine room fella.
Great get.

What really struck me looking at his U18 video is how defensive minded he is at stoppages. Always looks around to check where his man is and makes physical contact before peeling off. A lot of kids that age are still see ball get ball and some never really grow out of it.
Totally agree.

People failed to look at the differential of player at the stoppages.

Having a player who can be offensive and defensive aware is huge.

What really struck me looking at his U18 video is how defensive minded he is at stoppages. Always looks around to check where his man is and makes physical contact before peeling off. A lot of kids that age are still see ball get ball and some never really grow out of it.
He is a big boy isn't he. Knows how to use his body.

He is a big boy isn't he. Knows how to use his body.
He is a big boy but for me the remarkable thing is that he is really thinking about the big picture and has already ingrained the habit of checking where everyone is so is prepared for what to do if the opposition gets first possession while looking to clear it himself.
Bodes well for his ability to stay disciplined in the big time.

He has indeed. A leader and a very useful player.

I'm talking about their character, not their game style or position. A leader and a very useful player. AA at under 18, but not star material. Hard worker, committed to improving. Genuine clubman.
He's a first year player who was a gun at underage level. Anything is possible. Might not play as many games as deboer, but also cold be much better. IM not sure how he doesnt have star potential. Most draftees are potential stars.

He is a big boy but for me the remarkable thing is that he is really thinking about the big picture and has already ingrained the habit of checking where everyone is so is prepared for what to do if the opposition gets first possession while looking to clear it himself.
Bodes well for his ability to stay disciplined in the big time.
Yeh, in his videos he looks like he is "ahead' of the game. I don't mean front-running. Just like he has a fair idea of how it might unfold and is ready for it.

He's a first year player who was a gun at underage level. Anything is possible. Might not play as many games as deboer, but also cold be much better. IM not sure how he doesnt have star potential. Most draftees are potential stars.
We've lost Neale and will need first possession winners to replace. Enter Valente, one of the most ready to go from the draft.

If I had to pick between Fyfe, Barlow or Deboer to have a set shot from 40 on a slight angle after the siren I would pick Deboer everytime. Freo's bottom quartile seemed more like a bottom half at times under Ross.
Barlow?? he was our second dead eye dick tho?? He was a magnificent set shot

Him and Mayne were our 2 best set shotters in the team, which is why the 2015 prelim stings even worse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as it’s his floor, it’d be satisfactory. Let’s be clear, De Boer is a battler who has got by on being a strong, mobile trier who’s a good bloke and a top clubman. I’m hoping Valente is more than a trier, and I think he is. If he turns out to be like De Boer it’d be slightly disappointing and the way some are booming him up on this thread, there be a lot that are massively disappointed!
Dead set. In the early days i thought deBoer would be captain one day. Always loved him. A real goer. I love those types.

Blakely dropped a bit because he wasnt considered quick at the time of the drafting. In a couple of the draft profiles I read after we drafted Connor they mentioned speed as a weakness. Connor's not slow though, so either the draft reports where inaccurate or he has worked on it a ton since being drafted. Im not sure Valente is slow. He's just not overly quick. I see him more of a smaller but quicker version of Mundy with attributes similar to Neale in terms of winning contested football.
You must have read bad profiles, Conner tested 2.92 or so for 20m sprints at the combine.

This guy will be far and above what Matt was, as good as a secant he was to freo. This isn’t a dig at Matt, but valente has all the traits to be a 200 game player, in our leadership team and I am more excited by this guy than all of our other recruits (except Hogan)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This guy will be far and above what Matt was, as good as a secant he was to freo. This isn’t a dig at Matt, but valente has all the traits to be a 200 game player, in our leadership team and I am more excited by this guy than all of our other recruits (except Hogan)

I agree with your comments re Valente, but de Boer is also on track to be a 200 game AFL player, although out of contract end of this season, which would likely see him finish the season on 190. The key trait that appears to bind them is professionalism and the desire to make the most of themselves as AFL players. de Boer has already demonstrated that, over a long career; Valente has indicated that he has the same potential to do so.

You must have read bad profiles, Conner tested 2.92 or so for 20m sprints at the combine.
No he didnt. He ran 3.16. Im sure you mixed up Connor Blakely with Richmonds Conner Mendue who ran a quick 20metre sprint. Here's the top ten from Blakely's draft year.

Marvin Baynham 2.81
Oleg Markov 2.87
Jarrod Pickett 2.87
Reece McKenzie 2.87
Connor Menadue 2.88
Nakia Cockatoo 2.90
Ed Langdon 2.92
Paddy Brophy 2.93
Conor McKenna 2.93
Nathan Drummond 2.93

Last edited:
I agree with your comments re Valente, but de Boer is also on track to be a 200 game AFL player, although out of contract end of this season, which would likely see him finish the season on 190. The key trait that appears to bind them is professionalism and the desire to make the most of themselves as AFL players. de Boer has already demonstrated that, over a long career; Valente has indicated that he has the same potential to do so.
I thought Deboer signed on long term? like 2021 or something

That would make a great poll. “Which Of Our New Recruits Excites You The Most”.

My vote would go to Lobb. Extremely excited to have a strong reliable contested mark in our forward line.

That would make a great poll. “Which Of Our New Recruits Excites You The Most”.

My vote would go to Lobb. Extremely excited to have a strong reliable contested mark in our forward line.
Lobb has significant upside both on a personal level as well as structurally for the team. He can play in his preferred forward/ruck position for us where he was outstanding for GWS, and his marking can be both an attacking weapon for us as an avenue to goal as well as a great forward defensive weapon for us preventing the rebound, especially from kick-ins. He will cause significant headaches for opposition defenses with his immense size, mobility, marking ability and decent disposal skills. A very difficult match up.

Pairing Lobb with Hogan is a dream Fremantle supporters would not have dared to have, and a nightmare in the making for opposition defenses. It is further compounded by the potential support cast of Taberner, Cox, McCarthy (as talls), and must be being fueled further by the increased likelihood that Bennell just may have a role to play.

That amount of firepower is going to be demanding rapid transition football, and that is exactly what the club has been putting in place over the past 3 seasons. The club is primed.

No he didnt. He ran 3.16. Im sure you mixed up Connor Blakely with Richmonds Conner Mendue who ran a quick 20metre sprint. Here's the top ten from Blakely's draft year.

Marvin Baynham 2.81
Oleg Markov 2.87
Jarrod Pickett 2.87
Reece McKenzie 2.87
Connor Menadue 2.88
Nakia Cockatoo 2.90
Ed Langdon 2.92
Paddy Brophy 2.93
Conor McKenna 2.93
Nathan Drummond 2.93
I'll double check if I can find my old combine results and report back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back