Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2018 National Draft Pick: Luke Valente [Pick #32]

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'll double check if I can find my old combine results and report back.
You dont need to.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-06/meet-connor-blakely
From that:
'Blakely doesn't have the breakaway pace that other midfielders possess, and he runs a 3.19 second 20-metre sprint. His kicking is fine without being a huge strength, but he gets around that by knowing where to go and where to be to get the footy in his hands.'
I was wrong it was 3.19 rather than 3.15 for the 20 metre sprint. I read somewhere that there might of been mistakes with the 20metre sprint testing that year. Connor is not slow so that would make sense.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
You dont need to.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-06/meet-connor-blakely
From that:
'Blakely doesn't have the breakaway pace that other midfielders possess, and he runs a 3.19 second 20-metre sprint. His kicking is fine without being a huge strength, but he gets around that by knowing where to go and where to be to get the footy in his hands.'
I was wrong it was 3.19 rather than 3.15 for the 20 metre sprint. I read somewhere that there might of been mistakes with the 20metre sprint testing that year. Connor is not slow so that would make sense.

I dont have his years combine results, I swear AFL.com is incorrect. I seem to remember being surprised by his testing results because he never really showed his speed from the contest.
Looks like I was wrong, reading my old profiles from 2014, seems like he had bad testing results but I had previous speed test results that showed he was quicker than the the combine results.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
I dont have his years combine results, I swear AFL.com is incorrect. I seem to remember being surprised by his testing results because he never really showed his speed from the contest.
Looks like I was wrong, reading my old profiles from 2014, seems like he had bad testing results but I had previous speed test results that showed he was quicker than the the combine results.

Oh well

Some of us get bogged down in who ran what on one day a number of years ago

I'm happy to look at his body of work and see his improvement in footy

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Oh well

Some of us get bogged down in who ran what on one day a number of years ago

I'm happy to look at his body of work and see his improvement in footy
Footy is so much more than running fast in a straight line, pace in you team is important, but when was the last time
an outside player won the majority of awards?
Inside/outside players are worth their weight in gold.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's definitely improved his speed. But he's never going to be the guy streaming down the wing with the ball in hand breaking lines (ala Langdon) so it's not really a major factor. He needs acceleration and agility in congestion which it appears he has plus sufficient endurance and footy smart to get to contests - he's had plenty of 30+ disposal games so that doesn't appear a problem either.

I don't get the comparisons to de Boer? Blakely is miles ahead of de Boer in getting his hands on the ball at AFL level. I'd prefer to compare him to Barlow, who's output he compares really well to, and similarly against Neale. The only noticeable difference to both is scoreboard pressure. But Connor's still only 22yo so maybe we'll see him kicking a few more goals (or creating more) once he settles into a full time midfield role?

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Footy is so much more than running fast in a straight line, pace in you team is important, but when was the last time
an outside player won the majority of awards?
Inside/outside players are worth their weight in gold.
Do they do any kind of test running with the ball? Which is obviously more important than running without.

Cactus_matt

Draftee
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fyfe must have big wraps for our new #29
20190316_013208.jpg

EyeloveRichmond

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry for the intrusion. I couldn't see the supercoach/fantasy thread on here so i'm must wondering what are Valente's chances of playing games early in the year? I think he is going to be a very good player and i wasn't opposed to us taking him at our first pick in last year's draft. Thanks for any opinions. Good luck on the year ahead.

AlwaysFreo

Debutant
Mar 14, 2018
Western Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sorry for the intrusion. I couldn't see the supercoach/fantasy thread on here so i'm must wondering what are Valente's chances of playing games early in the year? I think he is going to be a very good player and i wasn't opposed to us taking him at our first pick in last year's draft. Thanks for any opinions. Good luck on the year ahead.

I'd say very good if he has two intact hamstrings. But seriously, I'd expect him to debut by about round 4 or 5. One or two games at Peel then straight in.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
If he was 100% now, probably play a game or two for Peel then come in. Injury list is huge at Freo, so could easy be a walk up start. Will play a few games, how much game time is the question..

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I'd say very good if he has two intact hamstrings. But seriously, I'd expect him to debut by about round 4 or 5. One or two games at Peel then straight in.
Hope he can get a tilt at it earlier, because that time-frame is similar to Blakely's possible return. I'm not saying you couldn't have both in the same side or anything, but there are some similarities in terms of position.

If he was 100% now, probably play a game or two for Peel then come in. Injury list is huge at Freo, so could easy be a walk up start. Will play a few games, how much game time is the question..

We play in Adelaide in R7, he will be playing by then.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Obviously this didn't happen - but what's gone wrong for Luke this year? Hasn't been listed on the injury list for ages.
Seems he came to us injured (probably the reason he slid) with OP I believe. It basically took half the season to get that right. Then he had more issues with the groin when he came back. Returned by the WAFL because as Tayl0r says, he doesn't have the tank. Building alright in the WAFL now but would have to find some form and more gametime % to get a look in this year you'd think.

Back