Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2018 National Draft Pick: Luke Valente [Pick #32]

Remove this Banner Ad

Even though he's an inside mid, he's possibly become the most intriguing player on our list.

Not often would a club give a two year contract extension to a young player who had yet to debut and had a string of injury concerns, let alone during a time when list sizes were being pruned back.

I'd love to know what the inner sanctum sees in him.

2 years is a long time for someone who hasn’t debuted and been injury riddled. They must be quite confident he’s past his injuries. Fingers crossed.
It is extremely unusual. Particularly for a non ex top 10 pick.

I'd feel safe guessing we have never recontracted a player on 0 games after 2 years for a further 2 years in our 26 seasons in the comp. People who've played a handful maybe like Ryley Dunn / Browne, but 0?

I suspect the extra year was the price of not switching back to a SA team.

2 years is a long time for someone who hasn’t debuted and been injury riddled. They must be quite confident he’s past his injuries. Fingers crossed.

Their hand might've been forced if Adelaide were offering him 2 or even 3 years.

The risk then becomes lose the player that cost you picks 34 & 41 for nothing, or risk a little bit of cap space if you have to pay him out a year early.

It is isn't it. But you read the club's comments and it's clear they view the injury issues as the only thing holding him back. I like to view him as a kind of additional second (first?) rounder for next year.

Even though he's an inside mid, he's possibly become the most intriguing player on our list.

Not often would a club give a two year contract extension to a young player who had yet to debut and had a string of injury concerns, let alone during a time when list sizes were being pruned back.

I'd love to know what the inner sanctum sees in him.
"Intriguing" was the exact word I was thinking. All the comments from team members and coaches have been extremely positive since he's been drafted. Was it Fyfe who gave him huge wraps at the start of the year?

They'll give him every chance to debut next season (injury permitting) and we should be very excited as a supporter group if/when that eventuates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the important thing here is, unless I’m missing something, with North and possibly Blakely gone, Valente is our entire midfield depth outside the 22. Currently, if we lost a midfielder we’d shuffle best 22 positions (Cerra more inside, Fyfe more on ball), if we lose a couple of centre mids, Valente is the first and only choice.

Couldn’t afford to lose him

It is extremely unusual. Particularly for a non ex top 10 pick.

I'd feel safe guessing we have never recontracted a player on 0 games after 2 years for a further 2 years in our 26 seasons in the comp. People who've played a handful maybe like Ryley Dunn / Browne, but 0?

I suspect the extra year was the price of not switching back to a SA team.

I remember Ibbotsons first couple of years being quite similar... But Ibbo had the WAFL to be able to show what he can do.

I'm quite bullish on this fella, he'll be a ripper. Can't wait to see him debut early next season.

How good would it be if he turned out seriously good. Our midfield was ok this year with obvious signs of improvement and so to add another really good young mid into the mix would be unbelievable!

We certainly wouldn't need to be trading in another mid like Angus that's for sure.

according to his wiki, Ibbo was given a 2 year extension in his 2nd year prior to playing a game (he later played 1 game for the season)

I think the important thing here is, unless I’m missing something, with North and possibly Blakely gone, Valente is our entire midfield depth outside the 22. Currently, if we lost a midfielder we’d shuffle best 22 positions (Cerra more inside, Fyfe more on ball), if we lose a couple of centre mids, Valente is the first and only choice.

Couldn’t afford to lose him
Are you including tucker?

They'll give him every chance to debut next season (injury permitting) and we should be very excited as a supporter group if/when that eventuates.
Yes I think an early debut as well. Experience wise he is behind in his development. But given he got 2 years I am confident that he is over his injuries.

Currently we have 3 if our best young midfielders from Victoria, and they will be targeted for trade. Good to have a non Victorian in the mix, and hopefully round that out with either Carroll or O'Driscoll in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back