Welcome Brennan Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

He certainly didn't look slow when he burnt those two blokes off to snap the sealer in the last.

On another note, WTF happened when he stopped play when the ump was calling play on? The Saints had players stopped too. Weird. I sit on the opposite side of the gound to that incident - were there any people on the interchange side of the ground that might have heard a rogue whistle or something?

He certainly didn't look slow when he burnt those two blokes off to snap the sealer in the last.

On another note, WTF happened when he stopped play when the ump was calling play on? The Saints had players stopped too. Weird. I sit on the opposite side of the gound to that incident - were there any people on the interchange side of the ground that might have heard a rogue whistle or something?
The commentators speculated they were reacting to the crowd noise when Sandilands burst through the pack at break neck speed to deliver it to Cox.

I was on that side and the crowd cheer for Sandi sounded very similar to a crowd cheering finally getting a free kick after getting the rough end of the pineapple for a few calls.

He looks like a really laconic- type of player. I love what he does, and I look forward to seeing what path he goes down with his development, but jeez - with 1 laconic player on the way out, and another like-for-like in the same role - another generation of mild frustration begins.

He looks like a really laconic- type of player. I love what he does, and I look forward to seeing what path he goes down with his development, but jeez - with 1 laconic player on the way out, and another like-for-like in the same role - another generation of mild frustration begins.

Laconic is less frustrating in a forward. If a defender plays a strong part in stopping 30 opposition entries into their forward line, people mostly notice the 3 goals they gave away. As a forward, kick 3 goals and do nothing else all day and people will throw flowers at your feet and make a baby that night in your honour.

I don't think he is slow.
Pretty sure I remember Lyon commenting that he had some pace.
I'm sure if he looks at Taberner's dedication, development and progress alongside the big Ape's determination etc he's got role models in spades.
As well as Hale and the other development coaches if he's got the desire we'll get him there.
It's probably good he's getting exposed to the pace of the big time bit by bit.
But he sure can look lousy and great within a minute.

As your later post shows Cox is not slow for a big man and I was already going to make that observation. On game day when he sprinted for the ball or was chasing he covered the ground quickly. Another exciting aspect was when he put his head down and burst through 4 players to get the handball out which showed a physical side as well.

He does look and is laconic at times but he is going fine for a 19 year old. We are only getting glimpses at the moment, but to me he is a very exciting prospect forward and back in positions that we lack depth. I have loved Johnnos work over the years and still love his experience (see last quarter) but I would drop Johnno before Cox from now on.

He does, however, need to continue to work on his goal kicking and professionalism (which set him back early this preseason).

I must have missed the memo which requires every post to use the word 'laconic'.

That aside, laconic is an adjective that describes a style of speaking or writing that uses only a few words, often to express complex thoughts and ideas. Not a way of describing a teenage footballer. Unless Cox is indeed laconic, in which case play on.

It comes from the Greek region Laconia, whose principal city was Sparta. Those Spartans were too busy slaying anything which moved to tolerate verbosity.

Last edited:
The last goal of the game which he booted was a great cameo of his talent.He halved the contest in the air from Blakely's not too great kick around the 50 arc. Crowden crumbed and hand-balled it to Cox who hand balled to Matera and took the return handball at pace and under pressure and snapped a good goal.
I remember Richo was full of praise saying ' He's got some wheels...thought he'd get run down but he's got wheels and a good finish'.
Agree on the set shot practise or improvement but as you say freoextra he's only 19 and plays in areas of need.
Will be a pleasure to watch him develop and produce his languid best.;)

Lyon seemed happy with his game mentioning him as one of our exciting prospects who were going to hit 80 odd games at around the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must have missed the memo which requires every post to use the word 'laconic'.

That aside, laconic is an adjective that describes a style of speaking or writing that uses only a few words, often to express complex thoughts and ideas. Not a way of describing a teenage footballer. Unless Cox is indeed laconic, in which case play on.

It comes from the Greek region Laconia, whose principal city was Sparta. Those Spartans were too busy slaying anything which moved to tolerate verbosity.
Nice post. I love language.
While obviously your technically correct many words have gradually morphed over time from their original meaning.
If you substitute movements for words in the definition and apply it to someone like Mundy - uses only a few movements to express complex thoughts and ideas you have a lovely poetic description of his shimmy through traffic :)

Nice post. I love language.
While obviously your technically correct many words have gradually morphed over time from their original meaning.
If you substitute movements for words in the definition and apply it to someone like Mundy - uses only a few movements to express complex thoughts and ideas you have a lovely poetic description of his shimmy through traffic :)
True, but then it gets confusing. Do they mean laconic in terms of getting the job done with a minimum of movements (involvements) or lackadaisical in terms of lacking purpose or enthusiasm?

As you love language, you'll probably enjoy the origin of lackadaisical.

Middle English: Lack -'loss, failure, reproach, shame.'

When people were overcome by the sadness, unfairness, or futility of life, they would put the back of their hands to their foreheads and exclaim “Ah, lack!”

“Ah, lack” became the word alack. Then came the expression “Alack the day!”

On a day, alack the day!
Love, whose month is ever May,
Spied a blossom passing fair
Playing in the wanton air…

... But, alack, my hand is sworn
Ne’er to pluck thee from thy thorn:
Vow, alack, for youth unmeet;
Youth so apt to pluck a sweet...

William Shakespeare, 'Love’s Perjuries'

'Alack the day' contracted to the interjection lackaday:

Lack-a-day became lack-a-daisy before ultimately becoming lackadaisical.

(Credit to lots of sources).

Yes, laconic is one observation, but I think with increased maturity and self confidence the cameos will become more frequent and hopefully the norm. My biggest issue with him is that he appears to choose when he goes or does not go in a contest - he must simply always commit to the contest.....perhaps this is also a confidence issue. When he did commit on the weekend I can recall 2-3 goals that directly resulted.

Laconic also implies a strong sense of self belief that allows you to be unhurried.

When Alexander the Great’s father was invading his way across the Greek peninsula he sent a letter to Laconia (Sparta) telling them that..

"You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city,".

The Laconians replied with the appropriately laconic message, "If," which prompted him to drop the matter."

Drafted as a Key defender, playing as a forward at the highest level. Tough gig.
I remember i used to be frustrated at Mundy when younger, looked like he jogged everywhere and was ‘laconic’, i see the same in Cox.
Hoping he has the same result where being laconic just looks like he has all the time in the world.
Listening to a Victor Olapido (NBA - Indiana Pacers) the question was ‘when did you feel like you could make it in the NBA?’.. he responded (paraphrase) ‘after a few years the game slows down in my head, i can make the passes i used to rush, take the shots i never used to’.
I believe it’s the same in any sport, and i would be happy for Cox to play every week regardless if he has a bad game or two, give him time for the game to slow down for him.

It is funny how we all have such varying opinions. I think he looks a natural forward, other than the set shot goal kicking. He needs to work harder defensively, but I think he knows how to football, reads the play well and has reasonable field kicking. He misread a couple of marks on Saturday but we know he is good in the air and his ability to get into the contest and spoil that ball to Cerra in the third was excellent. His form at WAFL was ordinary I think but he was useful on Saturday and I want to keep him in the team in the forward line for the moment.

Tall players take time, you all know this. Negative suggestions on his playing ability are unwarranted at the moment. The one thing that can be said is he has a knack for the ball in the air and a 'smoothness' that can't be taught.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back