Toast Fremantle's 3rd 2018 National Draft Pick: Lachlan Schultz [Pick #57]

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait for the hate. When I mentioned that Schultz was average, did not have the flair of some of the best small forwards I was pulverised on here.
Bashed into submission so much so that I caved and apologised on here,
I think he’s the same still as you’ve always said, every premiership side would have a Schultz running around in the forwardline playing a role, ie, Spargo for Melbourne but the difference is our forwardline doesn’t have a Pickett or Cameron to supplement it.

Schultz is a handy role-playing small forward, that’s about it

My rugby league supporting mate has only watched one freo game in the last 8 years.

Freo v wce earlier this year.

He thinks he's one of the best players in the AFL. Was amazed by him. Even put money on him for the brownlow.

Giving some real Brandon Matera vibes at the moment, plays well when the teams playing well and has a good game once a month but in his bad games we may as well be playing a player down.
i mean you could quite easily say that about all of our small/medium forwards. it's been a chicken v egg situation with our smalls basically all season

I just wish he was faster. Most of the other elements are there. He’ll have a great highlights reel when he retires.
That's what I love about him.

Not the quickest player. But he has that evasive ability.

Already kicked 25 goals and 15 behinds from 40 shots. So that's not bad.

I can't complain if he kicks 30 goals a season from 18-22 games .

Ballantyne kicked 49 goals in 2014 then had a couple of seasons kicking 32 goals from 21 games. And we ragged on Ballantyne late in his career too.

But yeah Schulz will have a good highlights reel when he is done.

This is why I've been saying that players like Schultz need to sign their deals for as long as they can for as much as they can, when the new flashy toy arrives it's spots like his that appear to be under threat because the new player is slightly faster or slightly taller or slightly more agile etc.

All our small forwards will look better when we are moving the ball inside fifty more frequently. Slow and stoppage ball movement works for the talls getting involved, if ours are good enough it brings the smalls into the game, if not the opposition midfield will sweep the ball out. Fast ball movement brings the smalls into the game unless they try and take a bounce immediately and lose control of it before being caught HTB.

This is why I've been saying that players like Schultz need to sign their deals for as long as they can for as much as they can, when the new flashy toy arrives it's spots like his that appear to be under threat because the new player is slightly faster or slightly taller or slightly more agile etc.

All our small forwards will look better when we are moving the ball inside fifty more frequently. Slow and stoppage ball movement works for the talls getting involved, if ours are good enough it brings the smalls into the game, if not the opposition midfield will sweep the ball out. Fast ball movement brings the smalls into the game unless they try and take a bounce immediately and lose control of it before being caught HTB.
Well Lachie has nothing to worry about because classy small fwds ,like Rachele, Kossie and Rankine get snapped up early.

Well Lachie has nothing to worry about because classy small fwds ,like Rachele, Kossie and Rankine get snapped up early.

It's not just small forwards who are eyeing off his spot. It's really easy to suggest someone like Erazmus taking a forward position with stints in the middle. I don't think he would be as effective as Schultz but he offers something different and sometimes people just want a change.

Our midfield isn't moving the ball well, we aren't finding our small forwards open for a kick option up the field as much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back