Pick 56 - Sam Collins

Club:
Box Hill Hawks
Position: Key defender
Date of birth: 15 June 1994
Height: 194cm
Weight: 92kg

From the Freo recruiters
Sam had a breakout year in 2014 at VFL level. At just 19 and in just his second year in the VFL, he was named in Box Hill’s leadership group and was voted the club’s most professional player. In 2015, Sam took another step forward in his development and finished fifth in Box Hill’s best and fairest and won the A.P Dickenson Memorial Trophy for best clubman. Sam demonstrated the ability to play a variety of roles, but played his best footy as a key defender. Sam is a ferocious competitor and rarely loses a contest. Sam's intercept marking ability is a real highlight of his game. Sam also possesses fantastic aerobic ability for his size.

What AFL.com.au says
Became a regular holding down a key defensive post for the losing Grand Finalists and his efforts won't have gone unnoticed by AFL scouts. Collins boasts excellent closing speed and gives his heart and soul in every contest. The fact that the Oakleigh Chargers product is only 21 and part of Box Hill's leadership group speaks volumes about his character.

404675-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Sam Collins possesses fantastic aerobic ability for his size.

THIS Tuesday in Adelaide, Box Hill Hawks’ Sam Collins is hopeful of joining an AFL list as a mature age recruit for 2016.

The tall defender, who played in the past two VFL grand finals with the Hawks, said had been contacted by a number of AFL clubs.

“I’ve spoken to a couple of clubs and got some really good feedback on my year and got a bit of insight to where I’m at, so it was nice to speak to some clubs,” Collins said. “I’m not really keen on revealing those clubs at the moment.”

Collins, who recently finished his tertiary studies, was undecided as to whether to work towards being a financial planner or pursue a career in the AFL.

“If nothing happens in the next couple of weeks, I’ll happily play at Box Hill again,” he said. “I love the guys and culture. Hopefully, we can win a grand final and everyone can put another consistent year in and go one better.

“Ideally I’d love to play AFL football and get that opportunity to do something you might never get to do again. However, if that fails, I’m pretty excited to get stuck into a finance role.”

The 21-year-old graduate of the Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup program previously had a utility role, playing as a forward, ruckman or defender when needed.

f8f80e3eccda754a8a5470486030ec57

But, this season, Collins played majority of the year as a defender, finishing up with a total of eight best-on-grounds while kicking one goal for the season — in the grand final.

“This was my most interesting year so far, I think in previous years I’ve been a bit more versatile, but this year I really went in with the mindset of playing that defensive role and playing it well,” he said.

“I’m really comfortable and confident playing in defence, however I think I’ve got the ability to really impact games when I go up forward and try clunk some marks.

“I don’t have a preference for either, I’m really confident playing in the backline, at the same time I’m really happy to go up forward and influence up there.”

With all the speculation and talk surrounding the annual draft, Collins is keeping his feet firmly on the ground.

“I’ve seen the articles written, I suppose you never really know what’s going to happen. I played some consistent footy this year and worked on the things I needed to work on,” he said.

“All I can really do is put my best foot forward which I think I’ve done, so I suppose it’s nice to be mentioned in those articles, but at the same time it might not work out and that I have a long road ahead to get where I want.”

Last edited:

valkorum

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Sacremento Kings
At pick #55 - definitely worth a shot at getting a key defender. Sounds good on paper

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't mind this one. Sounds like a heart and soul player in terms of effort.
Not much said about his skills, hopefully not too much in the Dawson mould although a good our stopper is pretty good to have.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't mind this one. Sounds like a heart and soul player in terms of effort.
Not much said about his skills, hopefully not too much in the Dawson mould although a good our stopper is pretty good to have.

He gathered a lot of BOG for Box Hill if I read correctly just before, I wouldn't be concerned about his skill. He seems like he's got pace, good tackling and is a ball killer / drop-off.

MadDocker

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Know nothing about him but am cautiously optimistic.

The Hawks off season recruits surely rate him and had an impact.

Hope he goes well.

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
I'VE SEEN THIS KID PLAY!!!

I am super excited we picked him up. I've watched a couple of his VFL games this year and he was a real trouble maker for the opposition. I reckon he could even slide straight into the side round 1. Great great great hands on the guy. Can really take a mark & run down his man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sorry this link isn't working on my phone - are there any other links?

Fremantle draftee Sam Collins was that convinced he wasn’t going to be picked in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft, he went out for dinner with mates on Tuesday night.

Pick 55 - Sam Collins

While driving home, the group were listening to the broadcast when it arrived at Fremantle’s third selection pick number 55.

“We pulled up in the driveway and my name was read out,” Collins told fremantlefc.com.au.

The 20-year-old from Box Hill Hawks in the VFL said despite a consistent year he had hoped to be selected in Friday’s 2015 NAB AFL Pre-Season and Rookie Draft.

“I didn’t have any expectations that I would go tonight, I was hopeful for a gig on Friday,” he said.

“I’m absolutely stoked, it was a massive surprise.

“I really didn’t expect it.”

Collins said he quickly ran inside to his greet his parents.

“I came inside the house, mum and dad were watching the draft on television, they were pretty excited for me to get this opportunity,” he said.

Sam Collins with his family on Thursday night.

Collins played under-18s with the Oakleigh Chargers, before joining Box Hill and joining the club’s leadership group at just 19.

He had to bide his time, but had a breakout 2015 season, winning the VFL club’s best and fairest.

His dream was always to play AFL.

“Every kid wants to play footy,” he said.

“I’ve had to work hard to get here but I’m glad I got the opportunity.”

Fremantle general manager of player management Brad Lloyd said Collins was on the club’s radar for a number of years.

“At 194cm, he can play an important role for us,” he said.

“He can spoil the footy well and is very disciplined.”

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just had a look at his highlights on the Freo site. Looks like all he wants to do is punch the ball. We already have Dawson for that.

Not impressed yet but I hope I'm proved wrong

I've seen a fair bit of him past couple of years. Good key defender who can play on most types (will struggle against the quicker, small types) and will be ready to play round 1 but has limited offensive weapons, although that may not be highlighted because BH have had two excellent intercept players the past 2 years in Mirra and Spangher.

Rapt to see Sam Collins on an AFL list. I saw a lot of Box Hill Hawks games this season and he can play. Gradually improved and get better as the season went on and was one of Box Hill's most consistent players. Out of all the Box Hill Hawks listed players he was the one who was most likely going to be drafted by an AFL club. I think he may surprise next season.

valkorum

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Sacremento Kings
Looks like a very 'hard to beat' defender in his highlights package. Would love to see him Dawson and Silvagni in the same back six.....some serious hurt factor there.
Aren't you forgetting someone.... Alex Pearce

DMan 11

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
I like it, we aren't reliant on silvagni and if tanner doesn't 'come on' we have ready to go stock at hand. It's smart by freo and a technique we almost have to use given the odds of finding a late pick young ( draft age) tall is almost impossible.

Back