Toast Fremantle's 3rd Pick: Samuel Collins

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we ever gave him a decent shot at it. He spent most of the time with us bulking up and then when he finally got a game, he had his face smashed in and was delisted the year after. Maybe the coaches didn't see enough in him but he was good in that game.

IMO one of our better players in an absolute smashing

Yeah his highlights video was a pleasant surprise actually. I was expecting 6 minutes of spoiling but there was some really nice stuff on there.

I wonder what his kicking for goal is like, because his field kicking looked pretty fluent and he took some great grabs up forward.

Forward and back, sounds like something good to have in the bag.

Swings both ways.

Much younger them SOS so there's room for development and coverage while the club continues to look for longer term quality

The name escapes me but we went down this exact path a few years ago which failed but good to see we are still trying

I was watching the picks come up on the afl app - saw the 2 bulldog pics before us - I just knew they would take Collins - swore loudly when he was literally taken right before us. He would have been our FB solution for the next 10 years

I'm a lazy codger, to add to the Silvagni debate, what are his physical stats compared to Collins ?.

Silva always looked a bit undersized.

I don't think we ever gave him a decent shot at it. He spent most of the time with us bulking up and then when he finally got a game, he had his face smashed in and was delisted the year after. Maybe the coaches didn't see enough in him but he was good in that game.
Faulks could not improve his aerobic capacity to AFL levels. Some people just don't have a tank. He didn't.

I'm a lazy codger, to add to the Silvagni debate, what are his physical stats compared to Collins ?.

AS 191/90
Collins 194/92

Silvagni is 192cm but has a giraffe neck and a long head so while he'd probably stand shoulder to shoulder with Mayne or Ibbotson he's a couple of inches taller.

He has an odd, slightly high maybe?, ball drop. Don't get me wrong I saw a few kicks in the highlights that hit blokes 50m away on the chest off two steps, would like to see how it goes under pressure though. Maybe all draftee highlights should include at least two minute of mistakes; for context.

He has an odd, slightly high maybe?, ball drop. Don't get me wrong I saw a few kicks in the highlights that hit blokes 50m away on the chest off two steps, would like to see how it goes under pressure though. Maybe all draftee highlights should include at least two minute of mistakes; for context.
I expect the ones the recruiters use do.

But giving the general public access to the errors? Can you imagine the response? Every kid abused relentlessly.

While watchers would find in enlightening, the "fans" would find use it as ammunition in the vile rants.

I expect the ones the recruiters use do.

But giving the general public access to the errors? Can you imagine the response? Every kid abused relentlessly.

While watchers would find in enlightening, the "fans" would find use it as ammunition in the vile rants.

YouTube draft vids posted by 'The Skipper' include all footage, both good and bad. Great viewing for those who he's actually compiled the footage for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still have no idea why Hawthorn weren't interested in this guy, who was right under their noses. He's been arguably our best player at Peel across the first three rounds. Pretty impressive for someone to come in and perform so well from day one but I'd expect nothing less from a Box Hill boy. He wasn't really given much of an opportunity during NAB but I'm sure he's on Ross' radar now.

Basic Stats (WAFL)
Rd 1 - 20 disposals (18 kicks), 14 marks, 3 tackles, 2 i50s, 0 goals
Rd 2 - 19 disposals (13 kicks), 8 marks, 3 tackles, 0 i50s, 0 goals
Rd 3 - 16 disposals (9 kicks), 3 marks, 3 tackles, 0 i50s, 0 goals

Coaches Comments (WAFL)
Rd 1 - Played across Centre Half Back, finishing with 22 disposals and read the ball well as was evident by his 14 marks on the day.
Rd 2 - Played fullback and again was strong in the air and in the one-on-one contests playing on Watson from East Fremantle, who was an AFL listed player for Carlton last year
Rd 3 - Played centre half-back and had another a solid performance, displaying some great spoiling in one-on-one and pack contests. Also used the ball well coming out of defence.

Possibly a way to go before he is ready to bring the same level of output at AFL but I'm sure once he gets the opportunity it won't take him long to fit in. Plenty of reasons why he should have a place in our future back line:
  • One-on-One - from what I have seen of him, he seems to do pretty well in a contest mainly due to his very good closing speed.
  • Interceptor - he reads the play extremely well which leads to big intercept numbers.
  • Strong Mark - I think his 14 marks in Rd 1 speaks for itself.
  • Spoils - he can mark or spoil and seems to make the right decision more often than not.
  • Flexibility - has the capacity to swing forward but seems to excel down back.
  • Leadership - everything about this guy screams future leader to me, that can't be a bad thing for his future or ours.
Do we need anything more from an upcoming key defender? If his kicking improves even further, I think we'll get major advantages out of his intercept capability on the rebound. Hoping he continues to perform well at WAFL and earns a debut later in the season. Reckon he might be in for another good day today against EP.

I still have no idea why Hawthorn weren't interested in this guy, who was right under their noses. He's been arguably our best player at Peel across the first three rounds. Pretty impressive for someone to come in and perform so well from day one but I'd expect nothing less from a Box Hill boy. He wasn't really given much of an opportunity during NAB but I'm sure he's on Ross' radar now.

Basic Stats (WAFL)
Rd 1 - 20 disposals (18 kicks), 14 marks, 3 tackles, 2 i50s, 0 goals
Rd 2 - 19 disposals (13 kicks), 8 marks, 3 tackles, 0 i50s, 0 goals
Rd 3 - 16 disposals (9 kicks), 3 marks, 3 tackles, 0 i50s, 0 goals

Coaches Comments (WAFL)
Rd 1 - Played across Centre Half Back, finishing with 22 disposals and read the ball well as was evident by his 14 marks on the day.
Rd 2 - Played fullback and again was strong in the air and in the one-on-one contests playing on Watson from East Fremantle, who was an AFL listed player for Carlton last year
Rd 3 - Played centre half-back and had another a solid performance, displaying some great spoiling in one-on-one and pack contests. Also used the ball well coming out of defence.

Possibly a way to go before he is ready to bring the same level of output at AFL but I'm sure once he gets the opportunity it won't take him long to fit in. Plenty of reasons why he should have a place in our future back line:
  • One-on-One - from what I have seen of him, he seems to do pretty well in a contest mainly due to his very good closing speed.
  • Interceptor - he reads the play extremely well which leads to big intercept numbers.
  • Strong Mark - I think his 14 marks in Rd 1 speaks for itself.
  • Spoils - he can mark or spoil and seems to make the right decision more often than not.
  • Flexibility - has the capacity to swing forward but seems to excel down back.
  • Leadership - everything about this guy screams future leader to me, that can't be a bad thing for his future or ours.
Do we need anything more from an upcoming key defender? If his kicking improves even further, I think we'll get major advantages out of his intercept capability on the rebound. Hoping he continues to perform well at WAFL and earns a debut later in the season. Reckon he might be in for another good day today against EP.

He and Silvagni were supurb against Subi round 1. Good chemistry between the too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back