Toast Fremantle's 4th 2018 National Draft Pick: Brett Bewley [Pick #59]

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the team. Williamstown getting some representation in the purple.

DockerTV highlights: http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2018-11-23/pick-59-brett-brewley

DOB: 14-04-1995 (23)
POSITION: Wing
HEIGHT: 186cm
WEIGHT: 85kg
DRAFTED FROM: Williamstown (Victoria)

Brett Bewley is a former captain of the Western Jets who has spent the last five seasons playing for Williamstown in the VFL.

Bewley has shown consistent improvement every year to become one of the premier running midfielders in the competition.

The 23-year-old has been named in the VFL team of the year in the past two years and came second in Williamstown's best and fairest behind Liston Medal winner Michael Gibbons.

Bewley is a beautiful penetrating kick of the football and led the VFL for effective long kicks in 2018, while also rating elite for uncontested possessions and inside 50s.

He is strongly built but an outstanding endurance runner, equalling the yo-yo test record at the 2018 Victorian state combine.

Bewley also displayed his impressive speed by recording a sub three-second time in the 20m sprint.

Dsp7lERU4AAbgqV.jpg:large

Brett Bewley was on high on the recruiters list in 2017 and after his 2018 season his name should be near the top.

The booming left foot kick took his game to another level this season, Bewley kicked 11 goals in his 20 games this season and finished fourth in the league for disposals in a stellar year where he was named in the VFL Team of the Year for a second consecutive year.

Bewley averaged 26 disposals in 2018, however it was his capacity to increase his marking output which saw him take 35 more marks than in 2017 with an increase in both contested and uncontested marks an added element to his game this season.

A best on ground display against North Melbourne in Round 18 showed his gut-running and improved work rate with 29 disposals, 9 marks and a goal. He was equally impressive against the Northern Blues with 39 disposals, 7 marks and 8 tackles in round six and also against Geelong in Round 8 with 36 disposals and 8 inside 50’s and 3 tackles.

Former Carlton Best and Fairest Heath Scotland says Bewley would be a perfect recruit for any AFL club.

“I prided myself on being a hard trainer, but I’ve never seen anyone more dedicated than Brett.”

“It’s what you do when the eyes aren’t on you that shows your true character.”

Bewley improved his tank and his endurance of the season amassing a season high 16.2km in Geelong match and Scotland says the work he does is why we have seen such an improvement.

His endurance was shown again when he equalled the yo-yo test record at the State Combine Test earlier this month.

“I’m at Darley three nights a week taking our Club’s pre-season and, without fail, every night I’m there I’ll see Brett working on his craft: practicing his goal kicking, pulling a sled around, doing sprints, and sometimes asking to join in our running session.”

“His dedication has seen his game progress each year at Williamstown, and I’ve no doubt he’d succeed at the AFL level if given the chance.”

Last edited:

After several seasons impressing in the VFL, the versatile runner had his best campaign to date with the Seagulls by averaging 25 disposals per game, four tackles, five inside 50s, three rebound 50s and eight handball receives. While needs to improve his speed and contested possession count, Bewley's ability to play all over the ground has caught the eyes of recruiters.

Brett Bewley took his game to another level in 2017, becoming one of Williamstown’s most prolific midfielders in a star-studded on-ball division.

The 187cm 22-year-old’s fourth season with the Seagulls saw him earn VFL Team of the Year honours after averaging 25 disposals, five tackles and four inside-50s per game in 18 matches for the Peter Jackson VFL minor premiers.

Bewley responded to missing out on Williamstown’s 2015 premiership triumph with a breakout 2016 campaign and elevated himself again this year, looking at home alongside teammates like Michael Gibbons, Adam Marcon and Willie Wheeler as a midfielder capable of finding the ball inside and outside the contest.

The Western Jets (TAC Cup) and Darley (Ballarat FL) product played his 50th senior VFL game in Williamstown’s preliminary-final loss to Port Melbourne and also represented the VFL in May’s State Game against the WAFL.

vfl.com.au spoke to Bewley at the recent Victorian State Draft Combine at Etihad Stadium ahead of the 2017 NAB AFL Draft on Friday November 24.

What strengths of yours have you been using to sell yourself to AFL clubs?

• I’d like to think my kicking would be up to the standard required and probably my running ability as well.

What is the strangest question you’ve been asked by AFL club recruiters?

• The weirdest one for me was: ‘What are your worries in life?’ I didn’t really know what to say back. I still live with Mum and Dad so I don’t have mortgages or anything to worry about.

What parts of your game do you know you’ll need to work on if you’re drafted?

• I’ve been working pretty hard the last couple of years on my speed and my contested ball ability, which I improved this year. Hopefully I can keep taking it to another level.

Which AFL players do you particularly like to watch and model your game on?

• I don’t mind the way Tom Scully (GWS) goes about it, as well as Trent Cotchin, who started as an outside player and now he’s an inside weapon that Richmond use to get Dustin Martin out on the end.

How would you assess your 2017 season?

• It’s probably a personal-best season. I really built on my season last year and took it to another level. I made the VFL Team of the Year and played my 50th senior game, so there were a few little milestones there. It probably started after the 2015 season, missing out on the (winning) Grand Final and never wanting to be put in that position again where it wasn’t in my control whether I played or not. I’ve just been working really hard at all facets of my game.

What do you think was your best individual performance of the season?

• I was pretty happy with my game against Footscray (29 disposals and one goal in a 43-point win in Round 19).

Who do you think has had the biggest influence on your football in the VFL?

• (Williamstown senior coach) Andy Collins has been a massive influence. He’s really helped me with all the things I need to work on. (Seagulls assistant coach) Robbie Campbell does a massive amount of work with me behind the scenes after training. He’s always happy to hang around.

Which of your teammates do you think should also be talked about as draft prospects?

• Lachie Schultz has been fresh into the senior team (this year) and he’s really taken the game with both hands and been one of our most promising players. Also, Ben Cavarra – he’s been thereabouts every year and can’t seem to push through, but since coming over from Frankston (for the 2017 season) you can’t fault his work ethic and how he’s fitted into the team.

THE FAST FIVE with Brett Bewley

What food could you not live without?

• Chicken parmi.

If you weren’t possibly about to become a full-time footballer, what would be your dream job?

• I think I’d stick to being a chippie.

What karaoke song would you sing to save your life?

• ‘Rain’ by Dragon.

Which teammate would you want to be stranded on a desert island with and why?

• Josh Newman, because he’s a very interesting fella. You always get a laugh out of him.

Which teammate would you not want to be stranded on a desert island with and why?

• Nick Meese, because he just talks absolute rubbish.

just watched his highlights video - very well balanced and beautiful kick off both feet.
Solid as unit, great back-up to have on the list for Luke Ryan. Appears ready to play IMO
Him and Valente can have their midfield spots. I’d imagine Beweley can take Neale’s spot. Stocking up on those inside mids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoked with this pick. Really wanted a mature ager like this.

Another Victorian. Don’t rate the home
Grown talent as much. A mature aged pick up?

Not as much as the interstate talent.

With the new rules and zones so prevalent I can see his booming kick being a real advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back