Toast Fremantle's 4th 2018 National Draft Pick: Brett Bewley [Pick #59]

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I read somewhere that he topped ALL national draft combine lists nationally for the YoYo, and ran a sub 3.0 second 20m sprint on his SECOND attempt.

Plus - he's built! I also note that he's a very effective longer kick - Sutty used to excel at this in the early days of his career, and I love that with Brett we're seemingly bringing that into our midfield.

Another good pick up IMO - methinks the later mature picks is Belly's work, if so I doff my hat to him.

Gotta say, I'm, very, very pleased with this this years acquisitions so far. Get Carter as a Cat B and call this one a wrap.

Think I like most about our mature-age recruits is it'll help stop any more Geelong 2018 blow-outs. Nothing more demoralising or mentally damaging to the confidence of our younger brigade than getting thumped week after week.

Brett and Lachie look to be solid performers and will take the some of the midfield pressure off of Crowden, Cerra, Banfield and Brayshaw as they develop.

And also - for the first time in a long time - I don't see any significant holes in our list that we desperately need to cover.

Next year's best 22 is going to look VERY interesting!!

Last edited:

Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would have thought he would be the guys least likely to have actually seen either of them play live.

A fair point - I'm only assuming here the mature age pickups was Belly's doing... could well be wrong.

On a side note, I also observe that Brett is also praised for his character, much like Banfiled, Brayshaw and Valente,

Really like the focus on character we seem to be building in the list. :thumbsu:

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
What the hell has been the knock on him in recent years? His highlights package were those of a first round draft pick. I'm as excited by this guy as any of our picks. Looks the real deal. Looks very much like a Zac Merrett. He could easily play round 1.

Channels

All Australian
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I like the strategy of a slightly older pick. Perhaps more to prove if they've been overlooked before, less daunted by moving, less risk on hoping skills/body develops.

Again, focus appears to be on quality kicking.

Brett BEWLEY (Williamstown VFL)

Totals
  • 20 games
  • 11 goals
  • 9 behinds
  • 11 times in best players list

Averages
  • 15.2 kicks
  • 10.6 handballs
  • 25.8 disposals
  • 4.3 marks
  • 4.1 tackles
  • 3.0 clearances
  • 0.7 frees for
  • 0.8 frees against
  • 4.9 inside 50s
  • 3.0 rebound 50s
  • 98.05 DT points

Totals
  • 18 games
  • 9 goals
  • 14 behinds
  • 7 times in best players list

Averages
  • 14.2 kicks
  • 10.4 handballs
  • 24.6 disposals
  • 2.8 marks
  • 4.8 tackles
  • 3.4 clearances
  • 0.4 frees for
  • 0.6 frees against
  • 3.9 inside 50s
  • 3.0 rebound 50s
  • 93.67 DT points

Scatter

Club Legend
Dec 30, 2008
Geraldton
AFL Club
Fremantle
I like the strategy of a slightly older pick. Perhaps more to prove if they've been overlooked before, less daunted by moving, less risk on hoping skills/body develops.

Again, focus appears to be on quality kicking.
Also you would think they are more loyal to the club that gave them that chance.
Though Kelly looking to move back, but that is more an extreme family situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Actually yeah, forgot about that.
Can't have been too bad if he would come home to one team and not the other.
My bad.
Really glad we didn't trade for Kelly given what Geelong were after. We have built a list with power, quality and depth. Get ready to attack the pre-season, and hit the new season with a BANG.

Jezzitizle

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looks like he could play round 1, good pick up for that stage of the draft.

The mature ager strategy is not bell, we’ve been doing it for a while now.

Nightrain

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
What the hell has been the knock on him in recent years? His highlights package were those of a first round draft pick. I'm as excited by this guy as any of our picks. Looks the real deal. Looks very much like a Zac Merrett. He could easily play round 1.
Have to agree. I think he has the most potential out of the lot based on the vids. Build, speed, kicking. Most importantly looks like he plays with a bit of fire in the belly and backs himself. Not the shy type. Similar to Luke Ryan in that sense.

Galapagoose

Debutant
Jan 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I like picking proven mature age types at this range of the draft. If you go through the draft years, not many make it.

He looks to have all the tools to be a solid link up player. Also he looks like a type that could be a better player with quality players around him.

Not getting to excited though, If you showed me a video of Tucker at WAFL level with his numbers I'd be excited too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back