apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Haven't watched a Peel game in the past three years have you? He's definitely a lock down defender. Towelled up Liam Ryan every time he played on him - plus pretty much every forward he's ever played on. He's comfortable when he has a clear man to defend against - hence why he was debuted as a defensive forward. Has speed, decent agility and the advantage of height over a lot of small forwards. Doesn't have the penetrating kick nor willingness to run the ball to be a half backer though imo.
He came to us a a running half back and we educated him in lock-down. Seems to be where he is most comfortable now.

Kickett Punches Read

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 29, 2008
dullsville
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Mandurah Football Club
Ummm. That's the one thing Nyhuis excells at. Destroyed Robbie Gray in that Port game.... before he actually destroyed him.

Maybe I’m not articulating myself correctly here. I don’t see Robbie gray as the speedy small forward ala Walters, Ballantyne, Rioli.... I don’t see Liam Ryan as that either. I don’t think that nyhuis, as much as I like him as the player to put on Rioli. I want someone like that...... you know who I want? A 19 year old roger Hayden...

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I guess I’m more focused on the back pocket part of things. I’m not talking about playing on Liam Ryan.... I want someone to stop Rioli, Greene, betts and Wingard.. small forwards not mid sized forwards
Liam Ryan a mid sized forward? He's 179cm. Unfortunately Rioli, Greene, Betts and Wingard haven't played WAFL against Peel so he hasn't had an opportunity against them yet ;) I have no idea if he'd do well against them but he's the best lock down defender we have on our list atm.

Kickett Punches Read

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 29, 2008
dullsville
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Mandurah Football Club
Liam Ryan a mid sized forward? He's 179cm. Unfortunately Rioli, Greene, Betts and Wingard haven't played WAFL against Peel so he hasn't had an opportunity against them yet ;) I have no idea if he'd do well against them but he's the best lock down defender we have on our list atm.

Jesus his he? Holy s**t I thought he must have been late 180’s I stand corrected then

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
not sure if serious.:huh:
I am. It’s an Alastair Clarkson quote though.

I have a slightly different opinion of our list than lots in here. I love the effort guys like Langdon and Blakely give, but they both burn the ball lots. We generally forgive for now, because whilst it may cost a goal or two every now and then, it’s rarely an excuse for us losing. But looking forward, with these kinda players in big finals, it can be little things like a missed kick that costs you the game (maynes set shot rings a bell). Blakely you can probably carry as an inside mid, but Langdon, out on a wing, with time and space, and still missing targets - that stuff can cost you a goal and/or momentum.

Hope he can tidy it up, but if there’s a more skilled player available - it’s possibly the better option long term.

Not saying Bewley is the answer, because for all we know it’s not AFL standard. But I would seriously be looking for better kicks for those types of positions.

Deep Purple

Debutant
May 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I have a slightly different opinion of our list than lots in here. I love the effort guys like Langdon and Blakely give, but they both burn the ball lots. We generally forgive for now, because whilst it may cost a goal or two every now and then, it’s rarely an excuse for us losing. But looking forward, with these kinda players in big finals, it can be little things like a missed kick that costs you the game (maynes set shot rings a bell). Blakely you can probably carry as an inside mid, but Langdon, out on a wing, with time and space, and still missing targets - that stuff can cost you a goal and/or momentum.

Hope he can tidy it up, but if there’s a more skilled player available - it’s possibly the better option long term.

Not saying Bewley is the answer, because for all we know it’s not AFL standard. But I would seriously be looking for better kicks for those types of positions.

Jezzitizle

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle

I personally think Langdon should go inside at some stage, I think he has it in him. Can certainly get his hands on it, is explosive and runs all day. Also a threat going forward.

On Bewley, not worried if his defending isn’t up to scratch, all the coaching, video, support from team mates etc. and I bet he will turn it around.

Also not worried about his contested work, seems so determined I bet he can’t help but improve, as long as he is clean and doesn’t fumble which you can’t tell from highlights.

The combination of great kicking, composure, endurance, determination and enough pace is great value at that pick. His highlights remind me of Jones from Sydney who I rate.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
You've got yourselves a good one here. I've seen him live a couple of times and he's embarrassed AFL-listed players like Corey Ellis and Sam Lloyd. Runs all day, super-fit, strong mark, good kick, hard as a cat's head. Won't die wondering.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
I read somewhere that he topped ALL national draft combine lists nationally for the YoYo, and ran a sub 3.0 second 20m sprint on his SECOND attempt.

That's great to hear. Apparently his open field top speed (30m+) is OK without being blistering, but if you've got that short burst quickness, it often doesn't matter. That sort of quickness, professional work ethic, with a decent footy brain and good delivery skills; that's the foundation for a quality player, looking forward to seeing this guy in flesh.

Last edited:
Might need that one again Tayl0r!
A player looks their best when they are full of potential, then they step onto the field and the lofty expectations melt off them to reveal what they really can do.

Bewley could be anything. The difference between an elite AFL outside player signing multi-year deals and an average one constantly hoping for a contract is not that much. There are maybe one per team in the AFL of quick, great ball users, smart and hard running. Then there are a huge number of players just under AFL level who can run, sort of kick or sort of get to the right spots but aren't quick or aren't big enough.

Whether Bewley's athleticism translates to AFL level remains to be seen. I would very much like for him to turn into Andrew Gaff or Josh Kelly for us but I'd rather keep my expectations low and be surprised than expect the world and be disappointed he is only C grade.

A big body, quick, can kick, can run, can mark - there's something to work with.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
How do guys like this struggle to get a list spot?
There's a glut of mid-size players and limited list spots, and clubs tend to focus on juniors. He wasn't a star junior, but has steadily improved over time. He's put the work in, is a physical specimen now. Has gone to another level in each of the past three years. He's ready to go, on a wing or flank.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's a glut of mid-size players and limited list spots, and clubs tend to focus on juniors. He wasn't a star junior, but has steadily improved over time. He's put the work in, is a physical specimen now. Has gone to another level in each of the past three years. He's ready to go, on a wing or flank.
He’s basically the outside midfield version of Taberner. Steadily improved over a number of years, physical specimen and ready to go.

Wabjub

Official buddy 2022 - The Raz
Mar 24, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
I was thinking how good it will be to watch his spearing distance kicks into 50 with our forward targets and giving them every chance to mark the ball on the good lead.

Then I remembered that Bewleys kicks will replace the 14 side-step 360 spin NFL punts Danyle was doing.

Aswell as Sutcliffes out of bounds mongrel punts where he throws the ball onto the boot like hes practicing a centre bounce.

God it will be a nice change. Cant wait.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I was thinking how good it will be to watch his spearing distance kicks into 50 with our forward targets and giving them every chance to mark the ball on the good lead.

Then I remembered that Bewleys kicks will replace the 14 side-step 360 spin NFL punts Danyle was doing.

Aswell as Sutcliffes out of bounds mongrel punts where he throws the ball onto the boot like hes practicing a centre bounce.

It is pretty precise recruitment isn't it.

"Holy Hell, we have a forward line! Better draft someone who can kick it to them."

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots

In fairness, both DPearce and Sutty (the latter less so) looked great at lower levels and usually at training too when it came to their delivery, not to mention other abilities.

The pace and intensity of AFL can show up pretty good players. BTW, I'm looking fwd to Bewley doing his thing (see my comment above), it all points in the right direction, but just because he's shown what he has to this point at lower levels is no guarantee it translates to the next stage.

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
This bloke will be in round 1 team, I can feel it.
Sort of fella that comes in, and Ross decides he's going to get a game.

It is understood 23-year-old Bewley is set to be accelerated into the main group at training after impressing in his debut training session.

Last edited:

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
This bloke will be in round 1 team, I can feel it.
Sort of fella that comes in, and Ross decides he's going to get a game.

It is understood 23-year-old Bewley is set to be accelerated into the main group at training after impressing in his debut training session.
Well, he's 23. No time to hang around. And our midfield is promising, but lacking mature depth. But the main thing is he has the exact tools we need; accurate long kick. Mr Bewley, meet Mr Hogan.

Back