malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Well, he's 23. No time to hang around. And our midfield is promising, but lacking mature depth. But the main thing is he has the exact tools we need; accurate long kick. Mr Bewley, meet Mr Hogan.
The bit I like is he's 'hard as a cat's head'. Which means he will give us that Brady Grey quality but with skills.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
So... why did he slip so far?

FWIW very excited about this bloke.
I think with players of Bewley's age you draft them at certain periods of a team's development. They really need to be best 22 in their first year, or they have the potential to become a list clogger.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I'd love some comments from recruiting people about the decision making about guys like Bewley. I realise he has just been drafted and not actually done anything yet, but it is an interesting topic. Upside is clearly vital in selecting early first round, and slowly things balance out with more emphasis shifting to lower ceiling types, and then on to guys who have actually been improving and producing. Barlow perhaps the poster-boy for that but Ben Brown, Kelly etc. There is a decent list.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
I'd love some comments from recruiting people about the decision making about guys like Bewley. I realise he has just been drafted and not actually done anything yet, but it is an interesting topic. Upside is clearly vital in selecting early first round, and slowly things balance out with more emphasis shifting to lower ceiling types, and then on to guys who have actually been improving and producing. Barlow perhaps the poster-boy for that but Ben Brown, Kelly etc. There is a decent list.

If you do a search you can find a heap of his highlights from 2016 with Williamstown.

What I see there is ok...but a bit one paced and plodding...he didn't seem to have the motor.
Fast forward 2 years and he looks to have gained a yard of pace and is covering the ground a lot better.
He also went from 20 possessions a game in 2016 to 26 last year, which supports that

Last edited:

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
If you do a search you can find a heap of his highlights from 2016 with Williamstown.

What I see there is ok...but a bit one paced and plodding...he didn't seem to have the motor.
Fast forward 2 years and he looks to have gained a yard of pace and is covering the ground a lot better.
He also went from 20 possessions a game in 2016 to 26 last year, which supports that
Also shows dedication and application to improve himself

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
That foot pass with just over a minute to go was magnificent.
Seems like the footskills were not overstated.

Just need to get him to 20+ disposals and he'll become a weapon.
It was absolutely beautiful. Considering how poor our skills have been of recent years there's nothing better than seeing a well weighted, accurate kick like that.
Just came here to say this. Hope he gets more time to ply his trade. Could definitwly see him becoming a great distributor. The coaching panel clearly rate him by watching his placements when the game was on the line. Definitely a good sign

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
He was stitched up with that high contact in their forward half! Just going hard for the ball.
Could be another Barlow, with better foot skills

Back