Fremantle's 4th Pick: Shane Yarran (Rest in Peace)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounded like Lyon saying that there is no slack for Yarran.
and unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint) the same goes for Harley.
I really hope they don't break him. I'm all for a strong culture and team ethos but some allowance has to be made for brilliance (IMO).
Guys like Modra would never stuck around in the current environment.

and unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint) the same goes for Harley.
I really hope they don't break him. I'm all for a strong culture and team ethos but some allowance has to be made for brilliance (IMO).

I'm a bit young to remember, what did Modra have going on?

Though it's probably worth noting that the coach at Adelaide Modra didn't want to stick around for was the one that finally won them their premierships.

I'm a bit young to remember, what did Modra have going on?
In Pav's book he talks about how Mods hated doing any training that wasn't footy related like running or gym work. He was first out when they were using balls but didn't have much enthusiasm for anything non footy.
Though it's probably worth noting that the coach at Adelaide Modra didn't want to stick around for was the one that finally won them their premierships.
A very good point. I think its a fine line though and I'm a romantic. I loved what Phil Walsh did for the game when he let Fyfe and Danger go at it without worrying about who won the game. He reminded us that ultimately its a game for the fans.
I wouldn't like to see every last bit of larrikinism squeezed out of the game to serve professionalism.

Someone in the Freo player group, please give Yarran a lift to training.

An hour and half on the train from Armadale is admirable, but not desirable in the long run.

Come on Ballas & Co, Baldivis to Freo via Armadale, aint that hard.
Im pretty sure they have to get to Freo oval at 7.00am and have breakfast at the club.

That's the 5.25 train from Armadale for Shane.

Modra could have left Adelaide a lot earlier. On "Open Mike" he said he was offered big money around '94/'95 by Brisbane but he basically didn't want to leave Adelaide.

They're both late starters Yarran and Modra. I was suprised to find out on "Open Mike" that Modra was 23yo when he played his first AFL game in 1992. By the time he played his first game for Fremantle in 1999 (after the the Crows two premierships), he was already over 30yo and about 18 months after a ACL injury, which he sustained playing for the Crows in the 1997 preliminary final and I'd think the main reason why he didn't ever play in a Crows premiership. Knee soreness injuries is why he ended up quitting, although there was some reported incident at a hotel, that I'm pretty vague about the details on, but he announced his retirement shortly after that.

Anyway, I think Yarran has been drafted for his X-Factor. Lloyd reckons he'd like Yarran to work a bit on his endurance, but I'm hoping there's an opportunity there for him early. The age comes into it, because if he's just sitting around on the list for 2 years with a handful of games like most rookies, at 28 it'll be time to move him on. He has to make his mark in AFL fast, or its not going to happen at all.

An hour and half on the train from Armadale is admirable, but not desirable in the long run.

I have a feeling he was referencing the travel to get to subiaco since he was not training with us before we picked him, we have probably already provided a way for him to get to training i would assume since he would have to leave at 5:30ish in the morning if he wanted to train it to our sessions from the train.

Shane can catch a bus to Cockburn in two years. Twenty minute ride.

I loved what Phil Walsh did for the game when he let Fyfe and Danger go at it without worrying about who won the game. He reminded us that ultimately its a game for the fans.
I wouldn't like to see every last bit of larrikinism squeezed out of the game to serve professionalism.

Weren't there 2 coaches involved in that transaction?

Can we play Yarran, Balla, and Sonny in the same forward line?
Put Ballantyne and Walters in the pockets, Yarran on one forward flank, Langdon/Bennell on the other. Pav having one more year as CHF, then Apeness/Tabs/Ubergang in the goal square. Not a bad idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It could be argued that the Bulldogss from last season got the vast, vast majority of their goals from players less than 192cm. Stringer 190cm or 191cm's I think.

Yarran as a fast lead out of the goal square taking the defender with him and Pav playing out of the the forward pocket. Yarran's first 20 metres is one of the top five ever recorded in the AFL if I remember correctly.

It could be argued that the Bulldogss from last season got the vast, vast majority of their goals from players less than 192cm. Stringer 190cm or 191cm's I think.

I have been thinking about The Bulldogs in 2015 as an example of a team who have limited apparent skill up front but scored more freely than we did. Stringer is a star in waiting obviously, Dickson and Crameri are serviceable but not perceived to be huge talents. Both were mature agers I think. The Bullies used Redpath for bash and crash and he did OK I think, but again a mature ager (21 when drafted) and rookie listed. It comes down to ball movement I think and general balance between attacking mindset and defensive mindset.

It also helps if you can kick straight. Dickson is about the best in the business at 50.12. He is underrated, makes the most of his chances. For perspective, our most skilled forward (by a long way) is Walters, who kicked 44.19 in one less game.

Not sure what Yarran's conversion will be like at AFL level. Last year, his WAFL stats showed almost the same accuracy as Mayne (54.33 vs 28.17). Which is actually reasonable. Might even say interesting, considering some on here think that Mayne's goal kicking is atrocious and Yarran will be replacing him, partly due to higher skill level.

It also helps if you can kick straight. Dickson is about the best in the business at 50.12. He is underrated, makes the most of his chances. For perspective, our most skilled forward (by a long way) is Walters, who kicked 44.19 in one less game.

Not sure what Yarran's conversion will be like at AFL level. Last year, his WAFL stats showed almost the same accuracy as Mayne (54.33 vs 28.17). Which is actually reasonable. Might even say interesting, considering some on here think that Mayne's goal kicking is atrocious and Yarran will be replacing him, partly due to higher skill level.
What needs to be considered next is when, where, how Yarrans goals are kicked. I don't know enough about his game to comment. Mayne was very accurate but now misses 'sodas'. Shots against NM and Hawks are examples. Hopefully someone can comment on how/where Yarran gets his goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back