Grand Slam French Open 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
The second slam for the year is upon us. Qualifying has started today with a bunch of Aussie's in the draw. It will be broadcast on stan sport and channel nine.

Swiatek goes in as the hottest of favorites, on an incredible winning streak. Not sure who can upset her in Paris.

Nadal and Djokovic go in as the favourites again, with tsitsipas, Alcaraz and zverev being the most likely to win it outside of Rafa and Novak.

As we know, final set advantage has been scrapped and instead deciding sets will be at 6 all with the horrible 10 point tiebreak.

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
My tips for the French

Womens - Swiatek to increase her winning streak to 35 and take out the title
Mens - Alcaraz,hes in red hot form winning 2 masters 1000s this year.

Few aussies got wins including Vukic, Kubler, Fourlis, Hon, Mendez in qualies last night.

With no Barty and my girlfriend's birthday falling on the first Monday I doubt I'll be watching much Aussie tennis haha

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Oh, i hate 3 day first rounds.

Be interesting to see how many matches we can actually watch at a decent time. Think the French will have actual night sessions this year.

Impossible to not pick Swiatek. crazy good atm. you never know with womens tennis though. The match can be over in 1 hour of bad play. They dont get the chance to make a comeback, ala Nadal AO final.

Going Nadal for men's. I am very boring here.

Kubler has qualified just then. First time in the main draw proper. Interesting because for a long time they thought he was only going to play on clay because of his knees

John Smith92

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Kubler has qualified just then. First time in the main draw proper. Interesting because for a long time they thought he was only going to play on clay because of his knees
Great to see. I was in his age group in juniors and he just destroyed everyone from about 14s onwards, has a really nice game and a good guy too. He's had a pretty s**t run of it even since he stopped having so many knee issues, had a great comeback in 2018/19 after everyone thought he was done, won a bunch of challengers and reached top 100, then was a set all against Fritz in the second round of the US open and rolled his ankle badly, missed the rest of the year and the start of 2020, then covid stopped the tour, came back halfway through last year, won a US challenger and then got covid just before USO qualies... Basically couldn't have been more cursed if he tried, but hopefully this is the start of a better run and he can spend a few years in the top 100 playing on the main tour.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Men's Round of 16 potential matches based off seeding:

Djokovic vs Schwartzman
Nadal vs FAA

Zverev vs Fritz
Norrie vs Alcaraz

Ruud vs Hurcazk
Tsitsipas vs Shapovalov

Rublev vs Sinner
Medvedev vs Carreno Busta

Nadal vs Djokovic looking to meet in the quarter finals. Must be one of the earliest those two have faced each other in a slam. Bottom quarter of the draw is very open. Can't see Medvedev making semis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 10, 2019
In The Middle Of Nowhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Didn’t realise it started tonight. Thanks to JackNah_8 who told me it starts at 7pm. Looking forward to watching on both Stan and channel 9. Let’s hope there’s some epic matches!

Can’t see Rafa making it to the end but he’s proven me wrong before, just with the injury might hold him back this time. Gotta see if his doc can help him in anyway and keep him fit.

John Smith92

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thought Bedene was a good first round for O'Connell given he's just coming back from injury but not going well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back