Grand Slam French Open 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

And there it is 6-4 6-4 Fognini, could this mean an upset in the making?!

Not as big an upset on form Felix is another that has been HORRIBLE for a good 2 months

Reckon Novak will win number 23 then retire once Rafa is out

Wont need to win anymore no one will beat 23 grand slams

Loves the game too much. Think he has 2 maybe 3 years left. You forget he’s basically had a reduced schedule for the last 2 years in a weird way that will prolong his career

Still worried about his long rally temperament. Does he have the fitness/patience to grind out and win long rallies? Clean hitting today though.

I’d rather him ply this way and if that means a few more errors we have to cop it as Novak fans.

Yeah wouldn't surprise me Roger played till he was 40 Novak probably the same

Gut says Paris Olympics then maybe 18 months after that. If he’s still contending why on earth retire

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am always shocked by Schmiedlovas level at the French. She is turning into a bannana skin oppoent here.

Knocked out Azarenka a couple years back.

Now Victoria Kudermetova. and easy to. 6-3, 6-1

By the way, Victoria deserves the Ukrainian colours against her, Unlike some other Russians. Qutie ironic, she has lost her last 3 to people who are Ukrainian or very supportive of Ukraine in Kalinina, Swiatek and now Schmieds.

It'd sad to see Thiem decline and struggle with injuries.

I would've liked to see him win the FO just once.

Was a lot better last night to be fair. Was his best performance for a long time in a slam.

Actually, I think it is Kostyuk’s fault. Got booed and probably deserves it.

I think if players are still refusing handshakes due to political issues, they should be banned from competing. Sorry but sports should not be turned into a political issue but some players (particularly Ukrainians in this sport) are too focused on politics that they signal out their opponents based on nationality. I just feel that is wrong.
I couldn’t get behind an Aussie being booed against a Chinese player if we were invaded by China

Sports and politics are absolutely linked. Always have and always will be.

Saba was class though.

They can't win and it's a directive from their federation anyway. The only Russian that has broken from that directive is Kasakina in the womens, and she has been so open about the war. I haven't watched much of Rublev lately so I have no idea there been more interested in the womens tour lately. Ukranian players have been told to do what they are doing, some do thank the player by signalling with their racket though, Tsurenko does this. Bottom line don't blame the players, blame the federations.

Just tricky and ugly for all involved.

Understandable for the Ukrainians to do this and I would not boo them for it. And I don't think the French who did boo quite put 2 and 2 together on why it happened. Saba was class in her interview afterwards but I also think Marta spoke well. Marta said in her press conference, "why dont you ask the Russian or Belorussian players who they actually want to win in the war and "Some of these players have a lot of money and could easily move their family to safety(very much to Saba)" It a very pointed question, and one I think most players would side-step and rightly so.

It is a tough situation for all the players to be in.

On politics, Novak wrote something on the camera

"Kosovo is the heart of Serbia - stop (the) violence"

eeekkkk!!!! Novak, not a great move for your PR. Still, FFT wont take action.

For me, it is a sensitive issue (Kosovo) and I do get it, Novak is Serbian and this issue is right to the heart for them. It is not black and white, like Putins war, so it is not fair to compare it to that. Going to let this go to the keeper beyond that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back