Prediction Freo 2016 Predictions + Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The Worst had an article stating how much Hooker loved both playing for Essendon and living in Melbourne. The quoted both as the reasons Hooker was not interested in a trade back to WA.
Possibly from the same source as Fyfe's "career-threatening" back injury though? :)

Reporter: "Do you like living in Melbourne?"
Hooker: "Yeah it's ok" which really means "I can't really live anywhere else when under contract to Essendon."
Article: "Hooker said he loved living in Melbourne."
Reporter: "And you like playing for the Bombers?"
Hooker: "Yeah it's a good group of boys to play alongside." which really means "The rest of the team sucks so I look like a superstar no matter what I do."
Article: "He also said he loved playing for the Bombers and doesn't want to leave."

I don't hate the no Dawson argument.

Dawson has great closing speed and physicality and is a great run and jump defender, but his one on one last line (strength) defending is good without being great and I wouldn't back him in against Dixon, Tippett, Hawkins and Cloke without a bit of help. He offers not much offensively so I feel it could be time for a change and go with smaller team defence. We could play MJ (till AP is ready) at full back because Dawson isn't that much better as a one on one defender + it makes the opposition FF very accountable and gives us the opportunity to play another attacking defender in the starting back 6. I somewhat agree with Sheriff's point that “Johnson is wasted in a purely negating role as he is exceptionally creative” but I think MJ naturally plays full back by zoning off like McGovern does and still would find enough of the ball.

Something like...

Spurr - MJ - Ibbo
Sutcliffe/Sheridan - AP - Morabito/Hill/Mundy

Pros

1. We obviously lack scoring power and structurally I can't see us being much different up front this year. So having a really attacking defence will really help us on the rebound and should increase goals that way.

2. Bulldogs and WCE had successful seasons last year playing with a smaller defence and really helped their attack and ball movement.

3. With the introduced interchange cap and no sub rule playing smaller defence means we’ll be able to cover more ground and gives us more flexibility.

4. AP can play at centre half back and can offer some dash off half back. Yes he doesn't have the best skills but he has the skills and attributes to really give us some run and carry.
MJ struggles big time when forced to man up on a decent forward one on one. No thanks, Dawson as lock down FB with MJ playing the sweeper role. Ibbo is in the same boat, they both need the Dawson foil and run of the slower players such as Hawkins/Tippett/Dixon. Bulldogs and West Coast had the pace and forwards to minimize the defensive side whereas Freo aren't in the same boat. Sheridan and Suttclife should be the ones to play up more offensively, that's their weapons.

MJ struggles big time when forced to man up on a decent forward one on one. No thanks, Dawson as lock down FB with MJ playing the sweeper role. Ibbo is in the same boat, they both need the Dawson foil and run of the slower players such as Hawkins/Tippett/Dixon. Bulldogs and West Coast had the pace and forwards to minimize the defensive side whereas Freo aren't in the same boat. Sheridan and Suttclife should be the ones to play up more offensively, that's their weapons.

This is it:thumbsu:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-11/hunger-the-key-to-veteran-docker-sandilands-future

"Sandilands said his body was in excellent shape, having had a surgery-free off-season."

Possibly the best news of the pre-season so far. Feeling a little more confident we are definitely going to finish top 4 now. And this bit sounds promising post 2016:

"The day I get out of bed and don't want to go to training is the day that I'll walk away,"

So they just have to make sure he never loses motivation and he should be around for a few more yet. Maybe giving Pav a role post retirement might help that cause as well if he is up for it.

Interesting feedback on the eagles board and their predictions of our season this year. After the first nine games
of averaging 94 points. this eventually dropped into the seventies.
I would imagine we would need to maintain an average of our best run, to even consider being a real contender.
Where will the improvement come from? Have added Bennel, Yarren, as realistic offensive weapons.
I really don't think we can play Fyfe entirely as a mid, and our midfield/flankers need more attacking flair than
last years setup.

I think everyone is being a bit conservative here. Based on the first two rounds of the NAB cup:

We beat Richmond by 60 points, Richmond beat Hawks by 73 point.
Adelaide beat Eagles by 100 points, we beat Adelaide by 2.

That means we are 133 points better side that Hawthorn and 102 points better side than Eagles - that's last years grand finalists.

May as well clear some space in the cabinet now...

I think everyone is being a bit conservative here. Based on the first two rounds of the NAB cup:

That means we are 133 points better side that Hawthorn and 102 points better side than Eagles - that's last years grand finalists.

And Hawthorn beat WC last they played so we are 235 points better than Eagles.

Figures don't lie.

Now I knew why you like mt Barker venue but not your neighbour ;).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back