Autopsy Freo 61 - 49 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Re Fyfe, we sat close to where his one on one with Darcy Moore happened. He looked as if he was concerned about his hammy, and one of the West's footy writers said the same. At close quarters you get to see the rough treatment dished out. If he was looking after himself by being a bit restrained instead of crashnbash, I'm happy. The team tone lifted 'cos Fyfey was on the ground, is my opinion.
Yeah Fyfe wasn't at 100% imo.

few random thoughts after watching the replay and seeing what I didn’t pick up at the game

Loved Ryan’s leadership down back. There was a moment in the 3rd where Cox went for a mark rather than kill the ball & then lost his feet after missing it, Ryan gave him a little advice, not a bake, but not gentle either.

The only thing that still irks me about Ryan, is he never moves the ball quickly & often has a good quick option to take. Let’s the opposition set for the kick down the line

don’t rate Duman. His defensive effort on Stephenson before his goal was so bad. Gave him so much room close to goal & too flat footed.

Loving JLo and you can see the players buy in. Love the trust he has to start and leave Serong & Brayshaw in the middle against really good players.

really like our list though, just need it healthy. As much as it sucks having such an injury list, the development into these fringe players like Watson, Frederick, Cox etc will be invaluable for the inevitable injury down the track.

really want to see Henry debut. Hope he can play 5/7 games before the seasons done. Would like to see Young make it back too for a couple.

A big change in intensity from other games, and they sustained it. Really enjoyable to watch, and something I thought we had lost.

This.

I don't how you 'train' the mentality to bring that more consistently, but THAT is the missing ingredient. Going missing for quarters (or more) at a time. This was the first 'complete' match we've played this season.

I don't agree we don't have the cattle; they're coming along. The game plan is good.

We just need to be able to switch on that manic pressure/intensity at will and sustain it and the wins will come.

The more I see the highlights from the various footy shows and TV segments, the more I'm appreciating the unrewarded work Fredrick did on the weekend.

For that reason, I hope he is not a selection casualty next round.
He's rapid. Make moving fast look really easy.

If he keeps doing that he can stay in. Makes defenders panic when they know someone that quick is in area and has shown little glimpses of what may be offensively.

has shown little glimpses of what may be offensively.
on that note, I think it was the 1st quarter where he had the ball around the half back flank and tried to kick in the corridor to Conca. put a bit too much on the kick but I like that he tried to pull it off, if he can tidy up his kicking just a little he’ll be a weapon

We actually only have 8 days break because of the condensed rounds. Play again a week from today.

Yes, I never thought of that. Still, hopefully the 8 days is enough to see a few of them start re-emerging

Rewatching the game Matera played ok. Far better than I appreciated being at the game. He halved a number of contests including when outnumbered and stopped the pies rebounding the ball out of our backline.

In saying that, still could be dropped.

I also liked his composure when Quaynor missed the spoil or grab and he was able to slot a neat pass to Schultz in the 2nd quarter. Probably not enough to warrant re-selection outright, but I think he was vast improved and probably his best game for the year despite there not being a great metric to measure it against! His goals and craft around the pockets seem to have gone AWOL though. Shame cos he had a picnic last year as a crumber

Rewatching the game Matera played ok. Far better than I appreciated being at the game. He halved a number of contests including when outnumbered and stopped the pies rebounding the ball out of our backline.

In saying that, still could be dropped.
I thought the same. Not a star by any measure, but he was physically outmatched in a few one on one contests - one example being where Frederick kicked it to him in a pocket when he could have gone all the way or even, from memory, to a lead in the square. If that was Walters, sure, not a terrible option... but some things made Matera look bad where better options were available.

We just lack a bit of experience at the moment. Not pointing the finger at Frederick, just saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're playing Matera deep or one out too much IMO. He's not made for that role. I believe he is best 22, but not if he's being put in that position.

I thought the same. Not a star by any measure, but he was physically outmatched in a few one on one contests - one example being where Frederick kicked it to him in a pocket when he could have gone all the way or even, from memory, to a lead in the square. If that was Walters, sure, not a terrible option... but some things made Matera look bad where better options were available.

We just lack a bit of experience at the moment. Not pointing the finger at Frederick, just saying.

Do you think it's maybe a confidence thing?! Last year he was pretty cemented in the best 22 and kicking important goals against good opposition like GWS. He just seems way off this year, not using excuses but with the ever changing tempest of the AFL landscape with the Corona Virus situation, it's like he's fallen back in the pack and not capitalizing on what a much better year he had last year compared to 2018, his first. You're right about Frederick though, I thought last couple of games he's looked a little out of his depth, but I don't mind that he gets games - with that he gains valuable experiences and lessons. He has enormous upside if he can get more exposure

Just had another look at it, it was Lobb who was out the back and would have been a better option over the top (counting down to 6 min mark in the 4th). TV angle doesn't show if Lobb was covered coming from the other way, but it looked like the sort of thing a more experienced player would have spotted up. Folks at the ground might have had a better view or memory of Lobb's position.

My thoughts on it are that Matera was doing the right thing in that situation, in drawing his man away from the square and Lobb. Pretending to be an option, but really clearing space. You can even see him look back at Freddy and let him know, too, after having had it kicked to him. One of the things we've had issues with in the past is all our forwards clustering together and not leading into and creating options, I thought Matera did exactly the right thing there, particularly when he was being beaten overall. I'd prefer him drawing away a defender than sitting at the bottom of a pack, it gives Lobb and Tabs more of a look.

So I'm not sure if it's a confidence thing, or if last year he was crumbing more off the congestion and getting play that way, whereas this year he's doing his part to get the forwards freed up under an (arguably) better game plan. This is just going off that one example though, I'm going to watch the game again later today.

But yeah, I'm excited by Frederick as well. All of our young guys, to be honest - not one I've seen who doesn't look like they're going to be something, with a little time. I like them getting game time, even if they do make mistakes like that - we'll be better for it in the long run.

100%, He is clearing space and taking Maynard away from the contest. If you are going to kick it to him, how about not on top/over his head when he's playing on someone much taller. That being said I'd bring in Walters or Sturt to replace him if either are available.

Matera should keep his spot, Crowden should take Colyer's spot and they should start Walters forward. With Serong in there now with Fyfe Mundy and Brayshaw and the outside mids like Cerra Aish and Bewley we probably don't need Walters there. Hogan Lobb Tabs Walters Matera is our ideal forwardline imo, with a role player like Crowden/Schultz running around. Walters swapping with Fyfe in the middle when necessary

Mundy was loose running into the forward fifty on the other side too, a long cross would have been a risky kick but a sure goal

I was going to say this, but thought people must be talking about a different passage of play. Was it not apparent on TV (have not watched a replay)? Mundy had nobody anywhere near him and could have walked into the goal square and dribbled it over. I think he had just come off the bench while everyone had congested to the other side. Probably hard to spot though and needed a very long kick.

I only noticed it watching the highlights but how good was Crowden’s kick off half back that lead to the Lachie Shultz’s goal? That’s an element of his game that was not there his first season.
Edit - Here it is, credit to Amber for the gif.

Serong kicking out of the backline was great, pretty sure he checked his kick at the last second to direct it to Mundy or Crowden.

Considering who is out in the best 22.....

No Alex Pearce and no Hamling. that the full back and Centre half back out.

No griffin logue either.

No james Aish.

No Cam McCarthy, Jesse Hogan and Michael walters, 3 quality forwards out.

Impressive win considering who was out injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back