Autopsy Freo 61 - 49 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Serong- the future.

Some players stood up fantastically. Think Hughes, duman, Bewley and Cox are underrated.

Wilson, Ryan and Conca phenomenal in defense.

Blakely gets the ball - just needs confidence again for his disposal.

Crowden a bull. Love his intensity.

Matera is my only negative. Doesn't look like he has the conditioning to go.

Well done, Freo. Very good game to be challenged and hold firm.
That Serong is going to be some sort of player.
And beating the Pies makes up (sort of) for beating us a few weeks back 🤣

I watched Blakely closely. Obviously there were some shocking kicks, but overall it was a net positive. Did a lot of great work in the clinches. Managed to squeeze out a lot of handballs when under immense pressure. For the most part I didn't see any of the defensive issues. He was putting on blocks and often staring at his man and not simply ball watching. Went hard. Needs to be given some more games to see if he can be less rushed and remove the grubber kicks. Can't underestimate the ability to simply find the ball.

The best part about beating Collingwood is obviously that the rest of the AFL love you for it. Even if I don't really mind the Pies (although Buckley not getting suspended is a joke.)

Serong was awesome. Haven't had a chance to dive into stats, but Cerra caught the eye in the first quarter before I got really smashed. How good would Brayshaw be if he could kick I50 or for goal? Ryan good. Cox I thought was good. Watson and Hughes.

Crowden and Schultz should get some recognition as "list-cloggers" who stood up.

Matera had a nice kick to Schultz, but didn't really impact beyond that if I have to go off first impressions. He'd be worried.

I watched Blakely closely. Obviously there were some shocking kicks, but overall it was a net positive. Did a lot of great work in the clinches. Managed to squeeze out a lot of handballs when under immense pressure. For the most part I didn't see any of the defensive issues. He was putting on blocks and often staring at his man and not simply ball watching. Went hard. Needs to be given some more games to see if he can be less rushed and remove the grubber kicks. Can't underestimate the ability to simply find the ball.

Same. Watched him closely throughout and he was always there. 11 contested possessions by 4th.

His biggest kicking issue seems to be when he’s running on a turn. Strange.

Our clearance & stoppage numbers were up tonight & a lot of that had to do with him. Apart from a couple of shocking kicks where he lacked composure, he definitely was a positive addition.

That’s a bloody great effort.
Crowden.. guy comes in and knew exactly how to play the HFF role. His kick to Schulz was a nice surprise. Significant improvement, given he wasn’t making great decisions and suspect kicking. Set up 2-3 goals, with one himself.
Watson had a ripper first half. Loved his work.

Luke Ryan. What a wall. Honestly. Thats AA material right there. Just blocked every attack, and just smart with his body.

Tabs on a crab (wtf.. how good was that shirt on the TV! I want one) slowing rising in momentum and confidence. Has a swagger about him. 4 goals including 3 clutch to put Freo in a comfortable lead.

The thing I loved about Mitch tonight too was his play on the wing just before the kick to Fyfe who snapped the goal. He was wide open running the wing and Shultz ignored him and kicked to the two on two contest. Instead of giving up he attacked it, won the ball and kicked inside 50 to Fyfe. That's what we saw tonight from most of our players, that will to want to be in the contest and never giving up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we can turn Fredricks into a tackling machine.

Loved his chase tonight, not once did he not go full tilt. Just wish when he had the ball running towards 50 that he carried it for another bounce and tried for goal instead of Matera near the boundry.

Massively agree with this. Yes his kicking off the back foot is a liability. But HE GETS HIS HANDS ON THE FOOTBALL. Full stop - that’s a been a massive Issue for us all season where we have been beaten up at clearances. Simple bit of coaching to limit Blakely disposing by foot and we have a very effective weapon.
He has to play from here - will give us 24 touches a game most week and just give us a platform.
Incomparable to some of the alternatives that have played this year so far.

Is is lack of game time due to lack of fitness?

Only played 61%

That first quarter was hard to watch but we didn't get blown away thankfully.

After that we were in it all the way. A great second quarter and an even beter final quarter.

Luke Ryan continues his great form of 2020, Caleb Serong (Lachie who?) is some player and Tabs was at his best tonight.

Well done boys, we are proud of you.

JLo hid him a bit in the last.😂

I did notice that but he strikes me as a confidence player. Bit more time in the team and hopefully some improvement. We were saying the same about brayshaw in his second year. Okay I know this isn't blakelys second but he's spent a fair time out.

Looking at it in relation to last Monday night, one of the biggest positives for me is they clearly, rationally looked at all the major issues (poor pressure, poor decision making, structures/gameplan going to pieces, large numbers of players MIA), disected and rectified nearly all of them. Might be recency bias on my part, but it feels like that's been completely absent as a week-to-week process at the club for a very long time.

Ryan has been absolutely astonishing this year - suggesting he's holding things together singlehandedly is a bit unfair, but not far off the mark. Watson is amazingly unflappable and should be a lock for as long as possible.

Forwards (give or take the first quarter) were broadly excellent; Matera the only weak link tonight (you'd think a fit Henry has to be an option after the bye.)

But I think I'm most proud of the midfield unit - the Pies are no slouches and we outbulled them near-on all night. Serong is going to immense down the track.

Blakely stays for mine; the flourbags aren't great, but he freed up Mundy and Fyfe and provided grunt that we've missed all year.

Couldn't have asked for more heading into the bye.

Loved his chase tonight, not once did he not go full tilt. Just wish when he had the ball running towards 50 that he carried it for another bounce and tried for goal instead of Matera near the boundry.
I never understand the kick to a leading player on boundary when a player is running into an open 50.

Even if it hits a target, the percentage must low kicking a goal.

Brayshaw could have kept running into an unguarded goal but he passed the Ball.

I never understand the kick to a leading player on boundary when a player is running into an open 50.

Even if it hits a target, the percentage must low kicking a goal.

Brayshaw could have kept running into an unguarded goal but he passed the Ball.
Defensive kick. If the opposition get it, it is very hard to get to the open side of the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back