Autopsy Freo 61 - 49 Collingwood

Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
The problem is he doesn't want to.

The game Darcy missed in the hub, Lobb was awful in the Ruck. Many suspected he was subconsciously impaired by a lack of desire.
Or people just confuse him being really good in the last quarter against a ruck Darcy has worn down for him being a full time ruck. Darcy did pretty well today and I thought Lobb no need to move either

mayne iac

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
My thoughts.
The opening piece of play, serongs hands were like lightening, he is a savant.
The kick in the last qtr by collingwood when the umps paid deliberate and the commentary went mad....it was our ball because it was out on the full ya bloody imbeciles .
Tobe could be a really solid player, his temperament is a solid feature, super calm.
Jlo dropping the right players and therefore bringing the right players in.
Serongs face when we won, kid was so stoked, says alot.
I think Freddy is athletic but am not sure about his footy brain, seems to be chasing alot, will be replaced by henry.
Crowden is a footballer, not an athlete.
Darcy held his own even though Grundy won the ruck.
Great game

noise36

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Good
* Shultz, Crowden and Tabs did good in the forward line. One of tabs best games I would think.
* Serong playing beyond his years, worked well with Mundy
* Amazing how well the back like worked given the injuries. Ryan good and Wilson with a couple of great saves at crucial moments we haven't seen that in a while.
* Fredericks run run run

Bad
* Blakeley burning the ball in the corridor
* Fredericks disposal, that run down the wing and nothing kick to Matera was super disappointing
* Umpire choosing not to pay clear 50 m penalties in front of goal that every other team would have instantly been paid, cost Fredericks a certain goal.
* Fyfe losing the one on one out the back, a couple of other brain farts that resulted in turnovers and goals, one by foot and the other a deliberate out of bounds, as a captain and elite player needs to do better

Last edited:

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
We all saw yesterday why Blakely should and shouldn’t play haha.
He finds the ball so well and does so much right, really hard at it.
But Christ he burns it by foot.
12 kicks at 33% so 4 effective kicks. I get the rain played a factor in the 3rd, but that number needs to be over 50% minimum for him to stay in, and I really hope he does.

Blakely in the middle gives us so much more flexibility with Fyfe forward, and makes us so much more dangerous when you add in Sturt Hogan & Walters forward too

Edit - Blakely had a team high 7 clangers too. Which I’m guessing were most of those missed kicks

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fyfe was nowhere near 100%. He didn’t sound too convincing when Pav asked him about how his body pulled up afterwards too. Watching the dreaded video update from Weber with interest this week.

westy1

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2006
denmark
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
east freo
Just watched the replay. Really strange game again. But I enjoyed it. best of the year. Played very good footy. Much better then both other wins. And against a much better opposition. St. Kilda are higher on the ladder now but gifted us 3 off-quarters. Deadset accurate btw. Which seems to happen quite a bit this season. But won us the game. Collingwood probably had just a normal accuracy. They didn't miss easy shots like Adelaide and St. Kilda did. Scoreless quarters pretty common as well. Really a strange season.
Except fo a couple of snaps right in front from Sidebottom and Stevenson in the last quarter

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great victory but the most underrated stat in footy is kicking straight.

Kick straight and you generally win. When was last time we had such accuracy only had 11 scoring shots.

Generally we normally kick 5.6 which wouldn't have got the job done last night

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
12 kicks at 33% so 4 effective kicks. I get the rain played a factor in the 3rd, but that number needs to be over 50% minimum for him to stay in, and I really hope he does.

Blakely in the middle gives us so much more flexibility with Fyfe forward, and makes us so much more dangerous when you add in Sturt Hogan & Walters forward too

Edit - Blakely had a team high 7 clangers too. Which I’m guessing were most of those missed kicks

What he did by foot is maybe not sustainable. However, he normally isn't anywhere near that bad, despite what some will believe. He is prone to an absolute shocker which sticks in people's minds, but it is usually only 1 or 2 per game. His average clangers for each of the last 5 years is around 2 per game. Bring last night's 7 down to that level and he is a valuable player.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
What he did by foot is maybe not sustainable. However, he normally isn't anywhere near that bad, despite what some will believe. He is prone to an absolute shocker which sticks in people's minds, but it is usually only 1 or 2 per game. His average clangers for each of the last 5 years is around 2 per game. Bring last night's 7 down to that level and he is a valuable player.

I tend to agree, but boy his clangers were next level yesterday.

However we spanked an experienced midfield with Fyfe playing a lot forward. Blakely allowed that, and he did some good body work.

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle

I’m a Blakely fan, but I can’t remember him ever having a solid kicking efficiency. Maybe never will. Has other strengths and that’s what I like. He just needs to take easier options so his kicking Deficiency isn’t as glaring

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I tend to agree, but boy his clangers were next level yesterday.

However we spanked an experienced midfield with Fyfe playing a lot forward. Blakely allowed that, and he did some good body work.

Completely agree, let’s mark it down to 1st game back and see how it improves going forward. I think Blakely offers a fair bit, but his deficiency is glaring

Turning him completely inside mid & handballing more might be a fix

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
He was pretty keen to make amends for his poor kicking last night though. On one occasion after a poor kick he pushed back defensively & took an intercept Mark & on another poor kick he followed the play & won a high free 10 seconds later.
As a coach, you’d be pretty impressed with the fact he didn’t drop his head, but stayed in the moment.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
He was pretty keen to make amends for his poor kicking last night though. On one occasion after a poor kick he pushed back defensively & took an intercept Mark & on another poor kick he followed the play & won a high free 10 seconds later.
As a coach, you’d be pretty impressed with the fact he didn’t drop his head, but stayed in the moment.

I noticed that too, turned up the effort after a mistake.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
Watson is just a terrific footballer, not fast or agile,
Agree that TobE is a terrific footballer. Disagree that he's not fast.
He may not have explosive pace out of the blocks, but he covers the ground really quickly.
Thought he played a good game tonight.

Other positives:
Caleb Serong - Kid's a gun. Probably moving into Rising Star contention
Mr Mundy - can bend time and space - still important
Tabs! - Has improved every year on our list - really starting to star.
Luke Ryan - Farq - he's single-handedly keeping us in games this year.
Rest of the team - no passengers - really good team effort. Even Fredricks, who didn't really impact the stat sheet, applied a lot of pressure and caused the mis-kick that set up Mitch Crowden's first goal.

That's the best win we've had for a while...

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It looked like our mids held shape around contests a heap better than I’m used too. In the third and fourth our guys were far better spaced from the contest which meant we had a chance to clear the contest and that Collingwood had less chance to clear wife and waltz out of the contest. If that continues I’ll be bloody stoked.

Watson looks like a very solid player. If Pearce - Hamling - Young and Logue are all fit next season, selection will be tough.

I can’t wait to see Henry in the team. Walters should be 90% forward here on in.

I am hoping we rest fyfe or others for the game after the five day break. Won’t be great for win/loss but will be better for getting some through the season.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus

Handball clanger too, gave it away to a free Collingwood player nearly resulted in a goal

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
I feel like JLo should get some recognition for some excellent coaching in the last quarter, backed our kids to win the hard ball in the middle to keep Moore accountable by sending Fyfe to the forward-line, just like he did in the Saints game.
We’ve got a gun of a coach for many years to come in my eyes.
Ross was always 'If plan A doesn't work, do plan A harder'. Great to see a coach mixing things up just a little bit.

Back