Review Freo beat Port by 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol. Matera runs around like a chook with no head and mcarthy just looks like he doesn't really care. I have no words for spudcliff
Yeah he was out of touch on the weekend but he was putting in the work. It's a big change for him coming from GC where he could run around willy nilly and do as he pleased. I expect him to improve over the last part of the season and into next, he is our replacement for Ballas.

By Walters own standards I'd say that was one of his worst games in a long time. 14 disposals at 50% DE. Seemed invisible for most of the game.

The centre square breakdown by Billy Bob65 has Walters not attending one centre square bounce for the entire game (1st time in 3 years he hasn't attended at least once).

On a positive note. How ******* good was the AP/Hamling duo. Absolute destroyed Watts/Dixon/Westoff.

Our backline is shaping up very nicely AP/Hamling/Ryan/Wilson. Massive shame Nyhuis isn't going to be able to build on that great game. Absolutely blanketed Gray in the first half.

By Walters own standards I'd say that was one of his worst games in a long time. 14 disposals at 50% DE. Seemed invisible for most of the game.

The centre square breakdown by Billy Bob65 has Walters not attending one centre square bounce for the entire game (1st time in 3 years he hasn't attended at least once).

On a positive note. How ******* good was the AP/Hamling duo. Absolute destroyed Watts/Dixon/Westoff.

Our backline is shaping up very nicely AP/Hamling/Ryan/Wilson. Massive shame Nyhuis isn't going to be able to build on that great game. Absolutely blanketed Gray in the first half.
I agree with you on Nyhuis. He played a great game doing what he does best. I feel the backline is shaping well but maybe needs someone like Nyhuis to blanket the really dangerous small/medium forwards. We get attack from Wilson, Ryan and Alex Pearce (his kicking has been poor, but the way he sees gaps and runs through them, or swats aside anyone in his way, provides good rebound). We need a lock down defender as well.

I agree with you on Nyhuis. He played a great game doing what he does best. I feel the backline is shaping well but maybe needs someone like Nyhuis to blanket the really dangerous small/medium forwards. We get attack from Wilson, Ryan and Alex Pearce (his kicking has been poor, but the way he sees gaps and runs through them, or swats aside anyone in his way, provides good rebound). We need a lock down defender as well.

3f2467a738a6604deafdefb66eee6c9ce6982324

It might not of been the best game of footy but it was a pleasant surprise after saying to my mrs on the way to the game, we'd be lucky to get within 10 goals.

I was saying to my mates during the first half pointathon that I would be satisfied if we just got into the lead once, such was my lack of faith in our having any chance of winning.

Hamling doesn't get the kudos he deserves.

Look up "quiet achiever" and you'll find a picture of Joel Hamling. The most unfussy, and unfussed-about, player on our list IMO. He's a friggen star and I love him.

He's been the best defender at the club since he came here. People were talking about "A Grade" players before but no one mentioned him and some had Pearce. Hamling's been much better. Good to see you giving him some representation too with your avatar, I would too but for fatuous reasons I must stick to Ryan ;)

He's been the best defender at the club since he came here. People were talking about "A Grade" players before but no one mentioned him and some had Pearce. Hamling's been much better. Good to see you giving him some representation too with your avatar, I would too but for fatuous reasons I must stick to Ryan ;)
The other half of that photo is Jack Riewoldt standing behind him with his mouth hanging open as Hammer takes the mark in front of him. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn’t underestimating Joel. We need a lockdown for small/mediums.
Yes you are right. I think Hamling has the versatility to do that, but there is the potential for that to not work as well. And it really wouldn't be the best use of Hamling. I also think that there is a heap of speed and athleticism in our talls with Hamling, Pearce and Logue, and that helps nullify some of the danger of small/medium forwards, plus the other players who are back there are runners. And I mean serious runners.

I think Nyhuis still has development in him, and of course we have Carter coming in. So while a lockdown defender for small/mediums may be the weakest area of our defence, we are not bereft of possibilities.

I can't help but be bullish about what this group of defenders will be like in a year or three.

I reckon Lyon kept Walters up forward to keep Byrne-Jones and Houston somewhat nervous about leaving him alone and sneaking forward.

Yes you are right. I think Hamling has the versatility to do that, but there is the potential for that to not work as well. And it really wouldn't be the best use of Hamling. I also think that there is a heap of speed and athleticism in our talls with Hamling, Pearce and Logue, and that helps nullify some of the danger of small/medium forwards, plus the other players who are back there are runners. And I mean serious runners.

I think Nyhuis still has development in him, and of course we have Carter coming in. So while a lockdown defender for small/mediums may be the weakest area of our defence, we are not bereft of possibilities.

I can't help but be bullish about what this group of defenders will be like in a year or three.
Totally agree, Nyhuis is already a good defender and will only get better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back