Autopsy Freo beat Sydney plus 3 - Rd 10, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

On the skirmish at half-time... I really think it needs to be dissected because I've got a feeling it might be a really pivotal moment in our development.

In the final moments of the half, Fyfe was clearly getting frustrated at the position we were in and this provoked some pushing & shoving from the Swans and then it essentially died down.

Until Buddy ran across the field to engage directly with Fyfe, which in turn compelled Luke Ryan to take on Buddy.

There was something about the reaction from the players after Buddy went after Fyfe, that I don't think I've ever seen before from this playing group. There's all the 'fly the flag' talk and media responses about needing to protect Fyfe, but it's always felt insincere to me. It's no secret that Fyfe isn't the most beloved captain in the comp, but there was something about half-time the other night that made me think that he's attained a level of respect within this group that he's never really had before.

I reckon the supposed contempt for Fyfe as captain is waning due to natural attrition at the departure of the Langdons, Hill, Neale, Hogan etc...
In all honesty, if you are a young player and you observe the way Fyfe plays his footy you could have anything other than respect and awe for the man
Not to mention the 2 Charlies hanging around his neck
He leaves nothing out there (well maybe a few goals :))

Musings

Lobb, I was really hard on him after his first 3.5 games this year, but after half-time against the Lions, against the Bombers & Swans he has been excellent. Which is why fans like me get so frustrated with him, at best he is unplayable, so it's hard as fans seeing him with that ceiling and not being able to produce it week in week out.

Walters, I think the way his career has panned out under Longmuir has been a bit disappointing for all parties involved. I think Walters has had a poor attitude after being shut out of the midfield and that in turn has effected his confidence. I also think Longmuir has been stubborn in not playing him there. But in a weird way I felt both were justified on Saturday night. Clearly it was Sonny's best game of the season, he was constantly engaged in the game and his disposal through the middle was invaluable... but at the same time, his lack of speed around stoppages was exposed badly when we lost clearances.

All the smalls that were disappointing last week were excellent, Switkowski's tackling, Crowden's game was generally very good, Schultz good throughout and Liam Henry is on the cusp of having a really influential game. Once again however, Henry really faded late in the game, when he builds that fitness base is when we'll really see the true potential.

Sean Darcy needs to be in discussions as the best ruck in the comp. He's getting better every week.

I didn't like Aish on Papley and I think we got away cheaply. I think Conca is clearly the better option to take on opposition small forwards, but I don't really know what's going on there.

Watson was a little disappointing after his great game the week before, but he holds his place.

I'm always a little late to this thread, but two points I'd like to make.

Darcy - You are doing me proud big fella. I won't gush too much but the sky is your limit.

Fyfe - We all love him and understand how much of a champ he has been, but I'd like to go a step further this week and heap a bit more praise on him. I've seen captains like Carey and Voss drag their teams over the line before and become legends of the game, not only for their ability as a player but as a captain and leader as well. I probably haven't put Fyfe in that category until after Saturday night. He's won games for us before, but this was different. He willed himself into every contest in that second half and dragged a young team over the line. He must be as sore as * after that effort, but needs to be recognised for his outstanding leadership.

Geez, it's not often you have 6 kicked against you and your game can be classed as good. Griff had a pretty good game last night. If not for a couple of bullshark free kicks and some freaky buddy majik and his game would've been praised.

He didn't hamg his head, but kept pushing. Hopefully Grifd gets a good run of games and we'll finally see the player I think he can be.

I agree. Good effort from Griff. If the umpire's treated him like Dane Rampe, then Buddy would have kicked maybe 3 goals. A couple of which were long bombs that skidded through from 60m.

Went to my school but was raised in the country
Very different to most of the city private school boys with wealthy “ connected “ parents .
Just clarifying the fact that just because we were sent to boarding schools from our country towns doesn’t put us in the same category as those pampered ponies that are being alluded to when using the term “ private school boys “

I've got a relative boarding at Wesley and couldn't agree more. Father-son camps with the boarders are on Wheatbelt country with battlers and their kids. Not an ounce of ego between them.

Compare that to the sweater-vest wearing metro kids smuggling in mum and dad's finest nose beers under the stairwell.

I reckon the supposed contempt for Fyfe as captain is waning due to natural attrition at the departure of the Langdons, Hill, Neale, Hogan etc...
In all honesty, if you are a young player and you observe the way Fyfe plays his footy you could have anything other than respect and awe for the man
Not to mention the 2 Charlies hanging around his neck
He leaves nothing out there (well maybe a few goals :))
And (surprise surprise) he is maturing.
He wasnt ready the year the lads picked Mundy and he responded...and so did they.
He is now a great captain.

Another thing, stating the obvious... but it felt like 11 of Sydney's 13 goals were GOTY contenders. Their ascendency didn't feel totally real, BUT EVERY SHOT WAS GOING IN.
Seems like that always happens to us, but I must say I loved seeing the GWS ball bounce at right angles for a freak goal followed by an Eagles shot at the other end bouncing at right angles to miss. I always feel like we have all the bad luck but it seems the footy Gods spread the love this weekend :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear that happens every ******* week against us.
I reckon the weekend game was different, they were potting them from everywhere, it was absolutely ridiculous. Franklin 80m bombs ill take but Warner and Rowbottom chucking it on there boot to go through was maddening. He’ll, even Blakey had shot from near the boundary and 50m out that just hit the post.

We were comfortably the better team but some Buddy umpire love, average kicking from us and ridiculous kicking from them kept them in it

I wonder will Buddy and Jesinta Campbell be moving back to Dowerin when he’s finished his career in Sydney?

It would mean plenty to all the footy parents who work their backsides off for the love of the game and the good of the local kids and the town in general if they were to get a visit from Franklin and a thank you.

This may have happened or may happen in the future but it would also no surprise me if he didn't even bother to look in the rear vision mirror on his way out. Unfortunately I must admit to being biased against him as he comes over as an entitled pr*ck to me from what I see of him playing AFL.

For the good of grass roots football it should be asked and expected that all AFL players give some time to their original junior clubs. Perhaps this does happen to a larger degree that is widely known?

Another thing, stating the obvious... but it felt like 11 of Sydney's 13 goals were GOTY contenders. Their ascendency didn't feel totally real, BUT EVERY SHOT WAS GOING IN.
Yeah it's frustrating as **** because we miss sodas while they bang them in from everywhere.
I reckon the weekend game was different, they were potting them from everywhere, it was absolutely ridiculous. Franklin 80m bombs ill take but Warner and Rowbottom chucking it on there boot to go through was maddening. He’ll, even Blakey had shot from near the boundary and 50m out that just hit the post.

We were comfortably the better team but some Buddy umpire love, average kicking from us and ridiculous kicking from them kept them in it
I definitely think when we aren't 100% on, the attacks we concede are always good ones for them but I do agree Saturday was special. Couldn't miss.

Gotta say for a bloke that had 6 kicked on him I though Logue played pretty well
Logue had 13 intercept possessions and 11 contested possessions - both Career highs.

He had a great game!

Ryan is a psycho hot head, but he is our psycho hot head. There was so much blood rushing to his face I was amazed there was any left for his shorts.

He wanted Buddy to hit him.

As soon as Buddy started smiling, he'd lost.

A study of 152 UFC fighters and 76 fights found smiling to be an involuntary sign of submission.

One too many nights spent in silk sheets resting on past laurels softened the bite of the once indomitable Lance Franklin just enough so, that when he found himself chest to chest with a red-faced Luke "foaming at the mouth, ready to die live on Kayo" Ryan, that indomitability failed him and rewarded us with an iconic moment.

The King is Dead! Long live the King!

yep, this was the expected score (based on history from where the shots were taken) which shows what i thought, we should have won that by a couple of a goals

Yes, my son and remarked on that before halftime. Something had to give there eventually, they missed a few gettable opportunities as the game wore on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back