Autopsy Freo Belt North But Didn’t Score 100, Time to Rebuild - Rd 6, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Question :
Has Freo at its lowest depths ever been as bad as what North are at the moment?
North hit highs that we never got to get that low. However 2016.. what a junk season that was. Realistically we’re still missing finals since 2015. 2001 was horrid. North aren’t that bad just missing depth.
St Kilda, Collingwood, Carlton are putrid

2016 was very bad but losing 3 games by over 100 points in 2017 including 2 games back to back stands out to me. and of course having 24 consecutive goals kicked on us in 2018..

We've been through absolute hell these past 5 years, it surprises me to see the amount of vitriol thrown at the club after sitting 4-2 after a 50 point win.

Didn't we win our first game in round 5 last year?

We've been through absolute hell these past 5 years, it surprises me to see the amount of vitriol thrown at the club after sitting 4-2 after a 50 point win.

Didn't we win our first game in round 5 last year?
I think that’s right. We are going well so far and it’s important to acknowledge that.
However we haven’t taken a major scalp of any description yet. It’s been a nice handy opening to the season relative to what’s to come.
I expected a 4-2 ledger as a minimum at this stage when looking at the fixtures.
The next step is to beat the Eagles in a derby. Another 2 defeats in 2021 would be very disappointing for this group. Enough is enough - time to lay down a marker next Sunday after something like 12 bloody defeats in a row. Brisbane without Neale at Optus is another game we should be winning.
Win the next 2 and the hype is real.

I think the GF 2013 performance sticks in everyones mind. That performance hasnt been forgotten really from the expert's who dont watch everygame but rememeber that game
I was there and I don't remember, but to be fair, getting really pissed was the only way to deal! Plus, that wind was incredibly swirly (I just remember getting one side of my head, then the other, then my face frozen, then being warm and sheltered... with these alternating about every minute). It was really not an easy day.

Fyfe's bull work makes all the other midfielders look good .
He is doing the dirty work and getting driven into the ground time and time again but still manages to squirt them out to the clean hands.
It's a great combination
You don't appreciate exactly how fast Fyfe's hands are until you're seen it live (similar to James Hird's courage, back in the day). Went to the last Freo-GWS game in Canberra and got a close-up view; TV doesn't do it justice.

I would like to say sorry to Lachie Schultz.
Great game and after watching your interview on the club site can tell you're a solid citizen as well.
Humble pie doesn't taste as bad as I thought.
Yes I have to join you in that. He has reached a level I didn’t credit him capable of and along with Hughes is one of the first picked each week Now.

I would like to say sorry to Lachie Schultz.
Great game and after watching your interview on the club site can tell you're a solid citizen as well.
Humble pie doesn't taste as bad as I thought.

Yeah same. Just kicks goals. Doesn't have the super talent but just kicks goals. Exactly what this team needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW

The Cats beat North Melbourne by 30 points last week.

Freo beat North by 51 points yesterday.

The Cats best West Coast by 97 points yesterday.

By that reckoning, we are gonna smash the Eagles next week. 😁👍

The maths doesn't lie - 118 point win coming up.

You don't appreciate exactly how fast Fyfe's hands are until you're seen it live (similar to James Hird's courage, back in the day). Went to the last Freo-GWS game in Canberra and got a close-up view; TV doesn't do it justice.

I think the only other player with cleaner hands is Lachie Neale but Fyfe a very close second.

As a self-confessed anti-Schultz man he has won me over this season and I'm not sure why it's taken so long for me to realise I was wrong. Good skills, Good set shot, great defensively, 110% effort. Reminds me of Ballas a bit.
Not convinced on his field kicking but agree with the rest. Getting players of his impact late in the draft is key to good sides.

No. I don't believe so. Even in our 2 win year (2001), we still had a crew of exciting young players. They have LDU...
Half of them have turned on LDU now which is premature but also hilarious.

I think Powell looks the best of their kids already. May not be super damaging but I think ends up something like Mitchell.

I was at that game! I was right behind that matera goal from the pocket. That was a fun day

Some stats to back up my current bullishness about our attack. We are the 6th best defense (only the top 4 + Richmond are better) and our scoring is miles better than last year. Below is our SS since 2010.

Up from a scaled value of 17 last year to 25.5 this year. Kick a little straight and we might be dangerous.

YEARAVG SCORES / GAME
202013.6 (17 scaled)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back