Review Freo bully the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for that, but I personally don’t like it (& of course I know more than an AFL team’s brains trust:eek:) for the simple reason that we seem to win our fair share of centre bounce clearances, so we end up clearing it to an area where we are outnumbered
I don't mind it personally because we end up with 6 backs and 6 forwards after the bounce in any case and then we seemed to hold that structure pretty well from what I saw. Carlton had 8 in defence the 2nd half - clearly we were dangerous enough going forward (even with 5 starting at bounces) that they needed to do that.

I suspect it's also a good thing to provide extra support for a very young midfield. I think we started the game with Brayshaw and Banfield both in the centre square (with Fyfe from memory) - two first years, one on the rookie list. To have an experienced head in Neale or SHill running in from half back gives us the best of both worlds. Youngsters get the experience of lining up as mids but we can plug the gaps if they get caught out.

The average AFL fan probably just expected that we had Sandi, Fyfe, Mundy, Neale and SHill in the middle the whole game and that's why we dominated - I'm not sure 4 of that combo lined up even once together yesterday. No doubt they are still key experienced heads we need on field guiding our youth but I was excited how Ross has been trusting our youngsters in key positions and the team is still performing in the last couple of games.

Probably Brayshaw's best game - so much potential to work with, especially once he builds his body a bit. Banfield with his weekly two trademarks amongst other things: (1) running down a player on a wing to win a htb (2) marking the ball at HB and finding someone across field on a 45 to open up the field completely. Langdon was (relatively) a bit down compared to previous weeks but Giro steps up on the outside - some sensational vision and kicking from him. Tucker only had 10 disposals but had a pretty big impact with those - he goes missing but we often look so much better when he is involved in the play. Cox and Apeness meant we had two tall targets with presence in our forward line (when was the last time we could say something like that?), worked well together on a couple of occasions, and in the 1st quarter Apeness had Cox's creative hands from last week. Cerra's class @ HB releasing Blakely to the middle is win win - although Cerra will be in the middle as well before the season is out imo. Wilson and Ryan didn't seem like they even needed to get out of 3rd gear but some of their kicking was still brilliant. Kersten looking the goods down back - seemed happier playing as well. Hamling as valuable as anyone on the field. Thought it was far from Matera's best game but he's so versatile - can see him tearing a game apart at some point (suspect he's happy to just fit in as a newbie for the moment). Nyhuis serviceable. Credit to Ballas for always giving his all but we do need to move past him.

Long sleeves debate does anyone think it makes a difference to the mental side of the game.

There were like 6 carlton wearing long sleeves in a indoor venue so it must have been freezing. I dont know i am not saying there soft as to play afl you have to be courageous. But if that was me i wouldn't want my opponent looking at me wearing long sleeve especially at a indoor venue thinking i was a bit of a sook.

How long has it been since a freo player wore one. Certainly no one has since ross arrived

Long sleeves debate does anyone think it makes a difference to the mental side of the game.

There were like 6 carlton wearing long sleeves in a indoor venue so it must have been freezing. I dont know i am not saying there soft as to play afl you have to be courageous. But if that was me i wouldn't want my opponent looking at me wearing long sleeve especially at a indoor venue thinking i was a bit of a sook.

How long has it been since a freo player wore one. Certainly no one has since ross arrived
I didn't spend a single solitary second of my footballing career considering my appearance or that of my opponent tbh.

Yeah, it was noted by our group at the game was the rotation of the starting mids, with there being lots of chances for our youngsters in there.
I disagree about Brayshaw’s game as his ball use was pretty poor.
I know I will be painted as being biased against the kid, but I did vote him BYB in one of our earlier games.
For mine, Giro was easily the best of our first year players yesterday.
Tucker is quite enigmatic, at times looking fantastic, but going missing for lots of the game.
Last week it was Cox’s forward line, & this week it was Apeness who ruled there.
Happy times ahead, with Taberner set to fit in there

Yeah, it was noted by our group at the game was the rotation of the starting mids, with there being lots of chances for our youngsters in there.
I know I will be painted as being biased against the kid, but I did vote him BYB in one of our earlier games.
For mine, Giro was easily the best of our first year players yesterday.
Tucker is quite enigmatic, at times looking fantastic, but going missing for lots of the game.
Last week it was Cox’s forward line, & this week it was Apeness who ruled there.
Happy times ahead, with Taberner set to fit in there
Brayshaw's ball use was/is a problem. Judging by his handball to kick ratio he is aware of it so at least we know he's working on it.

Is Tucker playing the graveyard Barlow / De boer role though? He makes good decisions when he does get it, not too worried for now about output.

On the centre bounce set-ups, we've been rotating kids through for a while and often there will be 1-2 kids in at the bounce. We're a lot more unpredictable in how we run it. Mentioned this before but it was good seeing mundy telling giro where to stand (moved him around the far side more into space to increase the angles). It's the best learning environment we could provide to the kids. On the job training

Is Tucker playing the graveyard Barlow / De boer role though? He makes good decisions when he does get it, not too worried for now about output.

On the centre bounce set-ups, we've been rotating kids through for a while and often there will be 1-2 kids in at the bounce. We're a lot more unpredictable in how we run it. Mentioned this before but it was good seeing mundy telling giro where to stand (moved him around the far side more into space to increase the angles). It's the best learning environment we could provide to the kids. On the job training
In the Collingwood game he played the last quarter as an inside mid starting in the square and did pretty well in junk time.

Maybe, give him more time in the middle.

So impressed with Apeness. Crashed packs and tackles hard. Set shot is great and he’s unselfish when he needs to be. That 2nd ruck role has been our killer all year even when we had Taberner. Need that guy so our forward line still has a tall.
Totally agree. A few of us were surprised he didn't get a call-up after his game against East Perth. Not sure why it took another 6 weeks for Ross to play him, but fair to say the scape-goating of Matera and McCarthy could have been avoided.

As quiet a few have already mentioned, great first half and put the cue in the rack at half-time. Apart from Tucker's awesome holding-the-ball tackle we looked a meter off and bruise-free for most of the second half. It was probably a combination of the short turn around, a couple of their players (Kreuezer, Wright, Simpson, Cripps especially) getting busy and a bit of man management, but still, we had a chance to do something about our percentage and make a statement.

In the end we (easily) beat the worst team in the AFL, so I'm generally pleased - but let's not kid ourselves, this was not the win everyone is making it out to be.

Hi all, long time lurker here but haven't posted much.

It's great seeing good mates Hamling and Kersten playing together in the backline, could be a reason they have both gone to a new level in the last couple of weeks. I never thought Kersten could make it in the backline permanently but he was very solid yesterday, good signs.

And great to see the Ape string a couple of games together, he was such an imposing figure up forward... I reckon he would give J McGovern trouble with his strength and agression so I pray to the footy gods that he gets a decent run at it this time (bring on Derby #2 2018).

As other posters have mentioned I reckon we should be playing McCarthy further down the ground to take advantage of his running ability and superb kick inside 50. I didn't watch the Peel game, did we play him at CHF? Would mind seeing him play on the wing and half forward

Yeah he had a few fumbles/turnovers and didn't always hit his target but if you put it in the context of a first year player (@ just 18yo) not only playing midfield but often getting in and under and beating far more experienced mids I think you should expect and excuse a fair bit of that. How many 18 year olds have been put right on ball and been flawless? Brayshaw had a really well rounded game - 1 goal, 20 disposals, 12 kicks, 7 contested, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 3 clearances, 3 i50s, 24 pressure acts, 352 metres gained (more than Fyfe, just slightly behind Neale) and a massive 8 score involvements (Crowden is our only first year player to have had more in a game, with 9 in Round 5, Cerra also had 8 in Rd 5 playing as a forward).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he had a few fumbles/turnovers and didn't always hit his target but if you put it in the context of a first year player (@ just 18yo) not only playing midfield but often getting in and under and beating far more experienced mids I think you should expect and excuse a fair bit of that. How many 18 year olds have been put right on ball and been flawless? Brayshaw had a really well rounded game - 1 goal, 20 disposals, 12 kicks, 7 contested, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 3 clearances, 3 i50s, 24 pressure acts, 352 metres gained (more than Fyfe, just slightly behind Neale) and a massive 8 score involvements (Crowden is our only first year player to have had more in a game, with 9 in Round 5, Cerra also had 8 in Rd 5 playing as a forward).

I think Brayshaw gets the rising star this week. Who else deserves it?

Slightly younger and slightly more inexperienced.

View attachment 513218

AFL Player ratings for what they are worth.

View attachment 513220

Thanks for those, very "interesting".

So both Langdon and Mundy rated well below Plowman, Jed Lamb and Dale Thomas??

Based on what - lack of hairstyle points??

Gee whiz I can't follow how the AFL brains trust come up with those ratings...

Yeah the player ratings system is pretty useless for comparing all players against each other. It still gives some indication when you compare players that play similar roles. Although ideally you'd want the algorithm to change based on role - but role can also be pretty subjective so it'd have limited accuracy.

BTW Fyfe is now back up to #3 according to Player Ratings (hasn't been updated on AFL.com.au yet). Biggest rise of any player in the AFL (started at #57 this season).

Just got a chance to watch the game, and reaching the bye feels like such a contrast to last year. Last year we had one more win, but some wins were achieved via games that ultimately could have gone either way (Nth, Rich and Melb off the top off my head). Then getting belted by Brisbane it felt like the wheels were coming off, and we never really got going in the 2nd half of the season.

This year does feel different. I confess to being worried that the wheels were coming off again after the North Melbourne game, but the last few weeks have been good, and to head to the bye with consecutive wins is a great outcome with the list profile.

One "sliding doors" moment that I couldn't get out during the game is what the team would have looked like with SPS playing for us, while McCarthy and Logue were not on the park. Don't get me wrong, I still believe in Cam Mac and its too early to make big statements about Griff, but it's a good example of an alternative outcome if we decided we didn't want to put our first round pick on the table, albeit for a pick downgrade.

TLDR; happy times.

One "sliding doors" moment that I couldn't get out during the game is what the team would have looked like with SPS playing for us, while McCarthy and Logue were not on the park. Don't get me wrong, I still believe in Cam Mac and its too early to make big statements about Griff, but it's a good example of an alternative outcome if we decided we didn't want to put our first round pick on the table, albeit for a pick downgrade.

TLDR; happy times.
I thought SPS looked a bit ordinary, or at least well below what I expected. I think the commentators described some of his work as lazy. I am fine with the risk the club took by going for a trade down and getting Logue who has huge upside. As with all talls it may take awhile to see what he becomes, but he definitely looks like he can become a genuine weapon.

Yeah the player ratings system is pretty useless for comparing all players against each other. It still gives some indication when you compare players that play similar roles. Although ideally you'd want the algorithm to change based on role - but role can also be pretty subjective so it'd have limited accuracy.

BTW Fyfe is now back up to #3 according to Player Ratings (hasn't been updated on AFL.com.au yet). Biggest rise of any player in the AFL (started at #57 this season).

He's #3 based on 33 games - when he hits 40 games it'll be interesting. He should overtake Dusty in top spot by the end of the season.

I thought SPS looked a bit ordinary, or at least well below what I expected. I think the commentators described some of his work as lazy. I am fine with the risk the club took by going for a trade down and getting Logue who has huge upside. As with all talls it may take awhile to see what he becomes, but he definitely looks like he can become a genuine weapon.

I thought SPS looked ok. I think a lot of players can look lazy when their team is getting shellacked. My only point is that for years we yearned after a tall forward through trade or free agency, and I saw some irony that while the one we traded for is playing 2nds, a guy we could have had would have looked good in our team - IMO.

I agree Logue has upside and Cam Mac has time on his side, I was happy with the deal then and don't have any regrets... Maybe I'm wondering if we don't need to chase (read trade for) key forwards anymore and just let ours develop.

Thanks for those, very "interesting".

So both Langdon and Mundy rated well below Plowman, Jed Lamb and Dale Thomas??

Based on what - lack of hairstyle points??

Gee whiz I can't follow how the AFL brains trust come up with those ratings...
I gave up on on the Afl rating system years ago , The reason well it makes no f*****g sense . a player who has been injured for a year can a higher rating than someone who is playing , On their rating system (i really don't know how it works )A player who has got to the the number one ranking can play a lot of crap games before he starts dropping . For example i think Fyfes rating was higher for most of his injured year than his Brownlow one .

I thought SPS looked ok. I think a lot of players can look lazy when their team is getting shellacked. My only point is that for years we yearned after a tall forward through trade or free agency, and I saw some irony that while the one we traded for is playing 2nds, a guy we could have had would have looked good in our team - IMO.

I agree Logue has upside and Cam Mac has time on his side, I was happy with the deal then and don't have any regrets... Maybe I'm wondering if we don't need to chase (read trade for) key forwards anymore and just let ours develop.
Only reason Logue was playing WAFL was coming back from injury. Before this latest injury he was absolutely tearing it up in his,second game back. Would have been a lock for the following week.

Will be a better player than SPS (who is going to be a jet).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back