Review Freo d Melbourne by 54 pts

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I could see a possibility of Wet Toast tanking and then finishing 4th so they play us at Subi rather than the Hawks, they maybe confident from the last derby. Only problem for them would be they would be giving up a home ground advantage in case they lose.
They wont and it's against the rule they put in to do that anyway.

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
:D I just saw Lyon's press conference on the news:p Hillarious when they asked him about resting players next week.

"Are you thinking about resting players next week?

Ross - "I don't have an answer, I didn't think you would asking that question." Then he rolls his eyes with utter contempt for the journo.

Was GOLD

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mixed feelings. Very happy that we got the job done and secured the minor premiership, no mean feat.
Congratulations to the club for our best ever result after home and away.

I'm just puzzled that once again we came out of the blocks beautifully and hit the scoreboard and once again proceeded to play pretty ordinary footy for the other 3 quarters. Hopefully there is some master plan I'm not aware or but we don't look much like the side that crushed teams and made it to the 2014 grand final.

One the plus side we are in the best position we've ever been in terms of players available and are the only club that has a dead rubber next week and can rest players and cruise. We've never been in as good a position to win the whole thing.

On today it was good to see Pearce D and Suban find a bit of form but both have form for beating up against week oppo and going missing in the tougher games. Thought DeBoer played a decent game too.

I liked what I saw from Langdon. Good pace and knows where to run and seems to have some composure. I noticed his positioning and awareness at stoppages was excellent and he was even directing other players in setting the zone so some leadership potential too.

Most players looked in reasonable touch and if we add Fyfe, Walters, Alex Pearce and maybe Balla its a pretty handy team.

I thought Ibbo did a fair job as a makeshift forward and its so good to have him on the park at the business end of things.

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, The Abbotsford Anglers
Mixed feelings. Very happy that we got the job done and secured the minor premiership, no mean feat.

I'm just puzzled that once again we came out of the blocks beautifully and hit the scoreboard and once again proceeded to play pretty ordinary footy for the other 3 quarters. Hopefully there is some master plan I'm not aware or but we don't look much like the side that crushed teams and made it to the 2014 grand final.

One the plus side we are in the best position we've ever been in terms of players available and are the only club that has a dead rubber next week and can rest players and cruise. We've never been in as good a position to win the whole thing.

On today it was good to see Pearce D and Suban find a bit of form but both have form for beating up against week oppo and going missing in the tougher games. Thought DeBoer played a decent game too.

I liked what I saw from Langdon. Good pace and knows where to run and seems to have some composure. I noticed his positioning and awareness at stoppages was excellent and he was even directing other players in setting the zone so some leadership potential too.

Most players looked in reasonable touch and if we add Fyfe, Walters, Alex Pearce and maybe Balla its a pretty handy team.

I thought Ibbo did a fair job as a makeshift forward and its so good to have him on the park at the business end of things.
A report on afl.com.au basically suggested we were resting players like Mundy on the field - just did what we had to do

kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
D Pearce looked good forward, and fairly ordinary In the midfield I thought. Maybe leave him forward.
Langdon looked tops.
Mzungu was better and still running hard at the end. A few dodgy moments but maybe finding some form. He's our best runner and I think he needs to stay in the team

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UFO Tatsu

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 11, 2012
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
The thing is that it's actually a meaningless game for West Coast. Possibly even a game they would want to tank.

Win or lose, they play at Subi in the QF. The only question is whether they would rather play Hawthorn or Fremantle. Given recent results they would start favourites against either.

WC of all teams could do with a week off. They want to play hawks in the 1st week at home and give themselves a best chance to get the week off.

Spoken4

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle & Peel Thunder
I was at the game and while the third quarter was a little bit sloppy, I thought the Freo players' skills and attack was really good for 3 quarters. Defense was back to its best. Sandilands and the midfield was very good and got on the scoreboard with 11 goals. Pav looked really good.

Really can't understand the negativity as for the vast majority of the game, we looked really good. Certainly better than the last game I watched (v Carlton).

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals

Seriously I fail to understand how or to what benefit you think us running like hotcakes for 4 quarters against Melbourne would have had? I noticed quite a bit in that first quarter and a half that basically was all that Lyon wanted to have on film.

Grape Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 12, 2012
Middle of Nowhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was at the game and while the third quarter was a little bit sloppy, I thought the Freo players' skills and attack was really good for 3 quarters. Defense was back to its best. Sandilands and the midfield was very good and got on the scoreboard with 11 goals. Pav looked really good.

Really can't understand the negativity as for the vast majority of the game, we looked really good. Certainly better than the last game I watched (v Carlton).

It was against Melbourne, though. They were pretty much witches hats with no pressure applied for most of it. Some of those errors would have been very costly vs. a much better team.

tek87

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Fremantle

Been saying all year we have top 6 talent so to be in this position is magnificent. Realistically on form we are not best placed but in terms of injuries and home advantage we are in a good position to have a good shot at it. agree we had better form/team come 2013 and still missed out. Form + talent level usually doesnt lie so i expect a prelim at best. the only x factor is the home advantage and potential rest. we will need it if we are going to make the gf. the only gf i see us winning is against West Coast

AAACockburn

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2013
Inside Wayne Carey's pain relief Ziplock.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
VFL

I hope you were screaming."Come home Jesse".

Spoken4

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
It was against Melbourne, though. They were pretty much witches hats with no pressure applied for most of it. Some of those errors would have been very costly vs. a much better team.

But even rubbish teams do that. Brisbane made Hawthorn look very average in the first quarter of the game this weekend.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seriously I fail to understand how or to what benefit you think us running like hotcakes for 4 quarters against Melbourne would have had? I noticed quite a bit in that first quarter and a half that basically was all that Lyon wanted to have on film.
I think there is a difference between taking your foot off the gas and playing poor footy. Some of the decision making and execution was very poor just as it was the week before. I think its possible to cruise and still look good when we have the ball.

I'm not suggesting we should have run ourselves ragged trying to win by more just that I think we are playing ordinary footy after the first quarter of a lot of games. How much of that can be attributed to conserving energy toward finals is what is debatable IMO.

There are a few players to come back and plenty of room for improvement. We are in it up to our necks if we are actually playing the sort of footy we have displayed in those opening quarters for most of a game. We will find out very soon how much we have been foxing.

Spoken4

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I think there is a difference between taking your foot off the gas and playing poor footy. Some of the decision making and execution was very poor just as it was the week before. I think its possible to cruise and still look good when we have the ball.

I'm not suggesting we should have run ourselves ragged trying to win by more just that I think we are playing ordinary footy after the first quarter of a lot of games. How much of that can be attributed to conserving energy toward finals is what is debatable IMO.

There are a few players to come back and plenty of room for improvement. We are in it up to our necks if we are actually playing the sort of footy we have displayed in those opening quarters for most of a game. We will find out very soon how much we have been foxing.

Not sure how you can compare the North game with the Melbourne game. Freo looked switched on for most of today's game. They ran well, spread well, defended well, converted well and I thought the skills were very good for most of the game.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure how you can compare the North game with the Melbourne game. Freo looked switched on for most of today's game. They ran well, spread well, defended well, converted well and I thought the skills were very good for most of the game.
Really? Well we all see things differently. I found some of our play in the 2nd half frustrating. Its pretty meaningless really. We've sewn up top, can rest players before finals, have nearly a full squad and are basically in the best position we've ever been for finals so happy days.
Any of our faux tough guys saying we'll be out in straight sets want to put some money where their mouths are? I'm sure there's some of us here happy enough to take on a little wager.
Just out of curiosity, what is faux tough about pessimism or low expectations?

Spoken4

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Really? Well we all see things differently. I found some of our play in the 2nd half frustrating. Its pretty meaningless really. We've sewn up top, can rest players before finals, have nearly a full squad and are basically in the best position we've ever been for finals so happy days.

Just out of curiosity, what is faux tough about pessimism or low expectations?

Were you at the game? Because it often looks different to watching it on the box. Our run and spread was first rate today. Yes they missed a few handballs but 80% of them were spot on. Kicking was also very good as was marking.

Suban and Danyle Pearce played their best games for the season. For once D. Pearce's disposal was as good as it is rumoured to be. The even spread of goal kickers and disposals was nice to see as we didn't have to rely on one player.

Goal kicking was great and I want to give a special mention to Subes who's shot after the half time siren went through.

Langdon had a nice debut but floated out of the game in the 2nd half. Unlucky not to end up with a goal. He was unselfish on a couple of occasions when he could have had a pop from 50 and also got into good positions but was not targeted. He turned it over a couple of times but that's to be expected.

I'll give Sherro some credit as I'm loving his continual improvement each week and thought he was decent today.

The marking ability of our defenders is severely underrated. They (in particular Ibbo and Spurr) took some absolute rippers today.

The match was a bore fest but it was nice to have the game sewn up by half time and just cruise along at a steady 7-9 goal margin for the better part of 3/4. I said before hand I wanted a 10+ goal win but I'll take 9.

Jack Viney destroyed us in the clearances. I wouldn't have been surprised if Ross had have sent someone to him if the game was on the line.

Top of the league and we're having a laugh because we have been s**t for the better part of half a season and still finished top.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Were you at the game? Because it often looks different to watching it on the box. Our run and spread was first rate today. Yes they missed a few handballs but 80% of them were spot on. Kicking was also very good as was marking.
Yes I was there. Might watch the replay tomorrow and see. I sometimes mark them hard in real time.
Langdon had a nice debut but floated out of the game in the 2nd half. Unlucky not to end up with a goal. He was unselfish on a couple of occasions when he could have had a pop from 50 and also got into good positions but was not targeted. He turned it over a couple of times but that's to be expected.
I sit down the Roberts Rd end on the railway side and Langdon had some nice involvements in the last Q. Ross mentioned he was still running hard at the end in his presser. He had 18 touches which is pretty solid on debut.

Back