Review Freo d Melbourne by 54 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that annoyed me yesterday. No one really wanted to have a snap, there was a lot of passing around to try and get a perfect shot and we'd end up stuffing it up and not scoring.
This has been happening all year and it's part of the reason we've been do inefficient inside 50. Most forwards will just have a ping but our players just keep passing it off as if they don't want the responsibility of kicking the goal

I don't normally take too much of my wife's Footy advice - but her theory on Fremantle's lack of brutalising weak teams comes from our own entrenched history of brutalisation at the hands of the opposition.

Knowing what it's like to be on the end of weekly massacres; maybe it doesn't feel so good for us to make our opponents walk back to their club rooms with their heads cast down in shame and humiliation after a 100 point drumming.

What do women know though?

I don't normally take too much of my wife's Footy advice - but her theory on Fremantle's lack of brutalising weak teams comes from our own entrenched history of brutalisation at the hands of the opposition.

Knowing what it's like to be on the end of weekly massacres; maybe it doesn't feel so good for us to make our opponents walk back to their club rooms with their heads cast down in shame and humiliation after a 100 point drumming.

Fascinating theory - Germany stopped piling on the goals against Brazil in the World Cup semi final out of 'respect'.

I guess 7-1 ended up being humiliating enough to be fair.

I don't know who made the decision to play Ibbo at CHF but it was one of the best moves we have made all year . The forward structure with him there worked because of his contested marking and also his elite use of the ball in his hands . Very Gunston like the way he is able to read the play ,spot targets and hits them by hand as well as by foot . With the return of Dawson it has allowed RTB to do the experiment that no one has suggested here or anywhere else . This move , the return of Fyfe and Ballas could be the making of a Grand Final winning combination . We have tried Taberner , Crozier , A Pearce ,Clarke , Griffin and Sandi during the year with limited return . Walters our leading goal scorer would have loved that sort of delivery just as Pav did .

I love Ballas, but I am ambivalent about him coming back in for the Grand Final if we make it that far. I would love to give him the opportunity to redeem himself, but only if we can give him a shot of valium so he gets enough sleep the night before. He really needs a chill pill before the game. Kirky need to teach him to meditate.

I love Ballas, but I am ambivalent about him coming back in for the Grand Final if we make it that far. I would love to give him the opportunity to redeem himself, but only if we can give him a shot of valium so he gets enough sleep the night before. He really needs a chill pill before the game. Kirky need to teach him to meditate.

So long as we don't make the same mistake of leaving him on the bench for the first 10 minutes of the GF like we did in 2013 he will be fine . He just gets too wound up to do that . If he is in the team he must start on the ground .

Very Gunston like
Interesting. I did think there were similarities at that time too but Ibbo is only 187cm while Gunston is 193cm. Ibbo and Mayne are similar heights. Maybe swap them around next year as Ibbo arguably is a better mark overhead and Maynie can tackle his heart out down back. Hard for Ibbo to make an impact up forward now other than as a cameo I would have thought this late into the season.

Interesting. I did think there were similarities at that time too but Ibbo is only 187cm while Gunston is 193cm. Ibbo and Mayne are similar heights. Maybe swap them around next year as Ibbo arguably is a better mark overhead and Maynie can tackle his heart out down back. Hard for Ibbo to make an impact up forward now other than as a cameo I would have thought this late into the season.

Gunston doesn't really play tall. The similarities are spot on. Though, I think Gunston is more offensively minded than Ibbo. Only a cameo really.

you need to move your man cave further away from the kitchen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know who made the decision to play Ibbo at CHF but it was one of the best moves we have made all year . The forward structure with him there worked because of his contested marking and also his elite use of the ball in his hands . Very Gunston like the way he is able to read the play ,spot targets and hits them by hand as well as by foot . With the return of Dawson it has allowed RTB to do the experiment that no one has suggested here or anywhere else . This move , the return of Fyfe and Ballas could be the making of a Grand Final winning combination . We have tried Taberner , Crozier , A Pearce ,Clarke , Griffin and Sandi during the year with limited return . Walters our leading goal scorer would have loved that sort of delivery just as Pav did .

Ibbo won't return back there, Ross doesn't like change this late in season.

Ibbo won't return back there, Ross doesn't like change this late in season.
Some change is necessitated with Dawson, McPharlin and Johnson down back though. What is Ibbo's role if they all continue to be fit and available? A good problem to have with A.Pearce and Silvagni in the wings too.

Who was playing on Ibbotson during yesterday's game when he went forward? A lot of the time he seemed pretty loosely held.

Sheridan with a more midfield role I am guessing
Some change is necessitated with Dawson, McPharlin and Johnson down back though. What is Ibbo's role if they all continue to be fit and available? A good problem to have with A.Pearce and Silvagni in the wings too.

He's the most rebounding (include Johnson in this discussion) defender out of those four.

He'll generally play fourth best defender making him available to take the handballs to clear the ball from defense. I get the feeling that Dawson and McPharlin are instructed not to kick unless necessary. Johnson and Ibbo, when at their best are frightening for opposition teams running and clearing the ball from our back 50.

If Ibbotson moves forward it's because we are in trouble and it's a desperation move. With out checking the stats I would imagine he is our most prolific intercept mark.

With Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Johnson, Spurr and Ibbo we have plenty of defenders capable of running the ball out.
I believe the move of Ibbo forward on the weekend was simply to see what we have there, he reads the ball well, can take a mark and is a solid kick. I don't think it's desperation and simply a case of getting more class into our forward line.

Our inside 50s wouldn't be half bad if they would just cut the amount of trying to centre the ball and just kicked for goal on an angle once they're within range instead of passing to someone already under pressure.

Yeah that annoyed me yesterday. No one really wanted to have a snap, there was a lot of passing around to try and get a perfect shot and we'd end up stuffing it up and not scoring.

YES! It was like hot potato. It's happened before in games but against a better team and the forwards were tackled after f**king around with it. Just have a shot! Mayne is the worst offender, I don't think he is physically capable of the snap kick.

Our inside 50s wouldn't be half bad if they would just cut the amount of trying to centre the ball and just kicked for goal on an angle once they're within range instead of passing to someone already under pressure.
The worst case of this was when Sheridan waltzed inside 40 on a slight angle under no pressure and decided to center the ball instead of going for goal, which, if I remember correctly, resulted in no score.

YES! It was like hot potato. It's happened before in games but against a better team and the forwards were tackled after f**king around with it. Just have a shot! Mayne is the worst offender, I don't think he is physically capable of the snap kick.

Yet the other week he kicked one half over his head. Just back yourself FFS

He's the most rebounding (include Johnson in this discussion) defender out of those four.

If Ibbotson moves forward it's because we are in trouble and it's a desperation move. With out checking the stats I would imagine he is our most prolific intercept mark.

My memories of Ibbo shooting for goal are usually things of nightmares, it was not one of his strengths albeit that he nailed one on the weekend. I can do without yet another unreliable kick for goal.

Johnno on the other hand seems to go alright when kicking for goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back