Review Freo defeat Dees by 2 pts

Discussion in 'Fremantle' started by Righteo, Apr 15, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. lw11

lw11 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, Boston Celtics
    Game was won and lost in the midfield. In the second, our midfield lost the clearances and contested possession, putting pressure on our defenders. In the third our midfield got on top. At the moment we're wholly reliant on our midfield to win games. We'll get better as the kids get more games.

FreoMonocle likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. TheMcManusNose

TheMcManusNose Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Vancouver Canucks
    Yeah not too convinced Grey is a back pocket. I'd prefer him in his current role. I reckon his best form by far at Peel has been as an inside mid but he's never playing there with us. While he has improved his kicking I really would rather replace Spurr with someone I think can reliably hit a target 40m away. Grey is not that. He is a good addition for sure but i'd rather try and bring through a Nyhuis or Luke Ryan into Spurr's role - both are better by foot than Grey I think even with the improvement he has shown.

UFO Tatsu, King Tenz, Ripper and 3 others like this.
  3. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I pretty sure Luke Ryan will be the ideal replacement . grey is more suitable as a HF/mid .

King Tenz and eastfreo75 like this.
  4. Sweetback

Sweetback Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Yeah, even the newbies like Cam, BHill and Kersten are amongst it. Good vibes amongst that young group at the moment. Will make keeping them easier.

Purpletown, FD2646 and scon like this.
  5. Lach72

Lach72 Bam!

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
    Balic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. stax on the mull

stax on the mull All Australian

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Matildas
    I just thought it wasn't a case of trying to defend the undefendable as it has been when we turnover the ball suddenly and our defenders get caught out of position.

A lot of these coughed up goals were while our backline had it covered with numbers - one or two were from free kicks - what I called 'static plays' or stop plays. Just really simple basic entries to a set defence.

7. jedi mind tricks

jedi mind tricks Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    The 3rd quarter was huge. Best quarter in probably 2 years. Well done Freo

Purpletown, UFO Tatsu and E Shed like this.
  8. DannyTheDoorman

DannyTheDoorman Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    South Fremantle, Hajduk Split
    Your highlighting a mistake that didn't turn out to be serious or impact the scoreboard against us . How about pointing out the positives of the performance of a young player In just his 2ND game. He actually kicked one of goals late in the 3rd qtr that kept us in the game . How about being positive and talking Harley up for maintaining his composure and slotting that critical goal.@salim malik Dudley docker

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  9. lw11

lw11 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, Boston Celtics
    Yea I'll admit a few of Spurr's fumbles cost us goals but I thought the game was won in the midfield. In the second quarter I didn't think the midfield ran hard enough and Melbourne cut through us with ease. They had a lot of uncontested possession which put a lot of pressure on our backline. Their efficiency of turning inside 50's to scoring opportunities wasn't good and something we need to address. A better team would've kicked 10 goals

10. salim malik

salim malik Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Might be a good idea to see what Ryan can do under match conditions before you pencil him in as an ideal replacement.:rolleyes::D

11. westy1

westy1 All Australian

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    east freo
    I thought the main fault in our game yesterday was the delivery into the fwd 50
    I haven't watched a replay yet but I'm guessing the times when Melbourne held the ascendancy over us was when we were butchering the ball going into the fwd 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. _Wildcard_

_Wildcard_ Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Don't forget "ahead of the curve" and "just calling it as it is".

Or, to channel some depth:
    "There is no greater impotence in all the world like knowing you are right and that the wave of the world is wrong, yet the wave crashes upon you".
    Norman Mailer

Some posters here think Norman Mailer was talking about them.
    Which is a shame, because Norman probably didn't know the AFL even existed. Or them.
    Norman Mailer was effectively talking about Norman Mailer. Norman Mailer might have been right, or Norman Mailer might have been wrong - the only thing of any significance, is that Norman Mailer was talking about Norman Mailer.

I think I might have had a point somewhere in here. But I'm buggered if I remember what it was.

13. Clems Knee

Clems Knee Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:

I don't think so. Yes this happened, but I don't think Freo got burned that much from rebounds from the 50, probably because of the pressure applied by the forwards, and some poor (slow) forward entries by Melbourne.
    I think Freo lost the ascendency in the second quarter and part of the fourth when Melbourne were able to quickly win the ball out of the centre and then put pressure on the defenders so that they fumbled and coughed up the ball.

Also, on a few occasions the defenders blindly passed backwards to make the ball someone else's problem (and therefore put the whole team under more pressure) but this didn't happen as much this week. I love the way Brad Hill ran to continually provide a release option for our players.

I wonder how much having Stephen incapacitated for almost the whole second half affected the run of the team in the last quarter. There were certainly some exhausted players at the end of the game.

14. malpaso

malpaso Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bulls
    I think Lyon moves him all round the ground, gives him a job and doesn't worry about it.

TheMcManusNose likes this.
  15. _Wildcard_

_Wildcard_ Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    We are still very much relying upon our experienced players. Make no mistake about that.

The good part is, our experienced players (that we have left) are very, very good. The rhetoric is all about the young blood, but without those who have seen and done we'd be nothing much at all.

Balance, people. Perspective. Credit where it's due.

Dormammu, FD2646, DMan 11 and 2 others like this.
  16. DaveLister

DaveLister All Australian

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    The home vs away factor is much larger in inexperienced players. Last week there was a much more even across the board effort and being at home plays a large role in that.

Also no doubt our leaders stepped up yesterday but Blakely played a huge role on N Jones (who is in career best form) Weller was one of our best ball users and had 13 in third where we won the game and Balic's forward pressure was great and resulted in about 3-4 goals.

The rhetoric is about the youth but that isn't really taking anything away from our experienced players. It goes without saying that they're playing well because if they weren't they'd be at peel with Dawson.

Every team is reliant on their experienced players, no one is denying that.

17. StingBitten

StingBitten Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    The Ping Pong Youth Auxillary
    Yep

18. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Peel look slow and in for trashing week in week out with Dawson and griffin . if spurr and ibbo added in they will play like slow motion

Mezz, imadoka and DaveLister like this.
  19. StingBitten

StingBitten Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    The Ping Pong Youth Auxillary
    Agree with most people's thoughts - but this was a senior players win in the last quarter. Mundy, Neale, Fyfe, Sandi, Hil and even Johnson were massive for us. there were shades of awesomeness from some of the youngsters and they'll only get better rubbing shoulders with our quality A-listers.

Only true negatives really are conceding 7 goals in the second and 6 goals in the last. We need to put a bit of a lid on that and I'm not sure how, individually there were no terrible performers in defence outside of the inexperienced Logue and Hughes - I'm thinking Collins needs to come in for one of them.

20. masai

masai Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    East Rottnest
    Paying a "deliberate out of bounds", for a long kick into the forward line, going over the line metres from the goal line ?.

Ump - you didn't do enough to keep the ball in play.

Player - FMD, I was kicking for the goals !!!!!!!!!!!.

Seppo, UFO Tatsu and scon like this.
  21. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Depend on opposition forward line , collins will look slow if his opponent is big and fast .

22. scon

scon Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Long haired Champs.
    Lyon's a mercenary arsewipe and Suban's a dog.
    Our club has no talent or integrity.
    Lloyd,Bond and the medical staff are dickheads,we're rooned!

FreoMonocle, UFO Tatsu and Freo Shark like this.
  23. _Wildcard_

_Wildcard_ Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Reckon you're right, and I've paid far too much attention to those who really shouldn't be paid too much attention to.
    It's a failing.

Still, though, it's not like I don't have anything better to do, sometimes.

UFO Tatsu, Freo Shark and scon like this.
  24. Unique Name

Unique Name Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Such a good game. 3rd quarter was amazing, last quarter I was a wreck.

Watching the replay now some points:
    - Some really dodgy frees against us and some non-calls which I thought hurt us.
    - If Weller tightens up on his defensive side he would be in the AA conversation for HBF. His 3rd quarter was ridiculously good. He is the perfect example of what we have been talking about on this board. Giving up a little on the defensive side for some more attacking flair. He cost us a a goal in the 2nd qtr but offered so much more on the offense. Took the game a few times kicking down the corridor, running the ball, etc. 27 disposals at 85% DE, 6 score involvements, 2nd highest metres gained. He'll get better on the defensive side the longer he plays down back.
    - We really struggled in the centre when Johnson was rucking which is understandable... but we seem to be setting up the same as if it was Sandi rucking. On the one that Johnson completely missed the ball and Spencer Fyfe was already on an offensive run when Spence tapped it to Oliver. Surely we should have a more defensive mindset when Johnson is in the middle. Thoughts??
    - I think Kersten and McCarthy would benefit greatly from not being the focal point of our forward line. I feel like Apeness would be a great inclusion. He's quick for a man his size and can apply defensive pressure, he can take a pack mark, would take the key defender away from McCarthy, probably provide more in the ruck than Johnson. Then when Fyfe and Mundy rest forward it would really create some mismatches.

Crozier - McCarthy - Grey
    Walters - Apeness - Kersten

- What a great experience for the boys, tough close win away at G.

25. Allikat

Allikat Moderator

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Roys SFA, #VagGang
    Gee I was on such a high after getting home from the game that I forgot to post here. Oops.

I've watched the replay now, and gee us in the cheersquad are a noisy bunch for how many people are there! And explains how croaky I am today.

But phew what a heart stopper. I don't think I've ever felt so many emotions in 2 minutes before. I'm so proud of the way our boys are playing now. They're playing for each other, playing with heart, busting their guts, and they want to win. I loved seeing them rally around each other whenever someone kicked a goal - especially the stacks on Balic for his first ever AFL goal! And how after the game, especially looking at Fyfe, you could tell they left everything out on the ground, and they really really wanted that win!

Balic's looking superb for a 2nd gamer. He's going to get more into the game with more experience, but you can just tell we've got something special there.
    Weller's found his niche now. He's become everything that every Saints supporter wanted him to be for them.
    Neale is an a-grader. No doubt about it.
    Mundy looks so much happier, and so much freer playing out there than he did last year. I don't think captaincy suited him, and I'm glad he's taken losing it as well as he has.
    McCarthy and Kersten are building a great team together. They're both getting better and building more confidence each game.
    My buddy Ed just looks like he belongs out there. He was playing under duress, but you couldn't tell. There was one kick into the forward 50 that was just a thing of beauty.
    I wish we could turn back the age clock on MJ. He is one damn good footballer when fit.
    And did anyone else hear Blakely be called an a-grader on the commentary? Pretty high praise!

Seppo, Purpletown, Scatter and 10 others like this.