Review Freo defeat Dees by 2 pts

Discussion in 'Fremantle' started by Righteo, Apr 15, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Allikat

Allikat Aunty Allikat

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Roys SFA, Melbourne Stars
    Injured. He's had a lot of weird knee issues. I think he'll be ready for VFL in a couple of weeks though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. FreoMonocle

FreoMonocle Premium Gold

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I spread the roar, rather than have it all focused at one point ;)

Besides, I like the occasional frothy and I got scolded for being near the cheer squad for it (once). I have no issue with that given that kids turn up there, so instead I shield them from my wicked ways by being out of sight if they are legally blind, by being a whole 10-15 meters away.

Allikat likes this.
  3. Allikat

Allikat Aunty Allikat

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Roys SFA, Melbourne Stars
    Fair enough, I usually stand up the back if I'm going the beers. Closer to the bar :thumbsu:

FreoMonocle likes this.
  4. Tonga Bob

Tonga Bob Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    SFFC, LFC (YNWA), ADO
    If only he kicked a goal to keep me in the goal kicking contest [sad face]

One thing that really impressed me was the on field instructions he was giving to some of the younger kids. Hopefully what he was instructing was consistent with Ross' game plan (I assume it is), but what I saw I liked.

Shadow Man likes this.
  5. Shadow Man

Shadow Man Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle
    and not telling the ump to open his @#$%&* eyes...

6. ImperialPurple

ImperialPurple Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    South Freo FC, Dinamo Zagreb
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    King Tenz, Beak_A, Van_Dyke and 7 others like this.
  7. DannyTheDoorman

DannyTheDoorman Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    South Fremantle, Hajduk Split
    Allikat you jumped ship have you ?. Wasn't Fyfey your buddy last season and now its Ed Langdon or have I got that wrong. What happened?

8. UFO Tatsu

UFO Tatsu Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I have no problems with that interpretation as long as they are consistent with it (which they won't). Funny how they always seem SURE when it involves a freo player but UNSURE for other teams.

Van_Dyke, Freo Shark, yoong and 2 others like this.
  9. UFO Tatsu

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    She got pipped in the Buddy Draft

10. DaveLister

DaveLister Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    They never admit fault

Lord Rod, King Tenz, Van_Dyke and 7 others like this.
  11. Okinakashi

Okinakashi Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
    I hope we're having a quiet word to that hairy Dees ruckman. He did some good stuff and he'll struggle to get a game behind Gawn.

Lord Rod, _007_ and Scham like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. FreoMonocle

FreoMonocle Premium Gold

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Jake Spencer (but in my head I just call him "Cousin It") is 27, presumably a free agent at some point.

13. ImperialPurple

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Exactly. Although he did admit it's largely open to umpire interpretation when it's that far out and the player is kicking that deep and it goes out beside the goals, and that they have to make a decision what they think the player is thinking. WTF???

Plus, check out his creepy stare at the camera when that Nat chick is doing the intro. Makes you feel all weird and uncomfortable.

UFO Tatsu likes this.
  14. Okinakashi

Okinakashi Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
    Didn't realize he was so old. Still he and Darcy could be a good double for a couple of years.

15. UFO Tatsu

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Too be fair, that is probably how I will look when I am nervous on camera :p

ImperialPurple likes this.
  16. Outshined

Outshined Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Liverpool
    May be looking back to the 'good old days' with rose tinted lenses, but I swear deliberate OOB used to be a much, much clearer and more objective rule than it is currently. As always the AFL have meddled and tampered to the point where not even the umpires have any idea what the **** they're doing.

Beak_A, Righteo, Scham and 2 others like this.
  17. Clems Knee

Clems Knee Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    It is called "deliberate" out of bounds, so they have to interpret how the player is thinking. I think the umpire got this one right. They got the 50m penalty right for Brad Hill going over the mark as well. The problem is that they ignored 3 Melbourne players encroaching the mark by a further distance earlier in the game.
    It's not the frees the umpires get wrong that hurt the most, it's the ones they don't pay. And I think the problem is that the ones they don't pay are not put to as much scrutiny, which is why there are more of them, and they get away with it.

And the old ex umpire looks like that at the beginning of every Whistle segment. Still presents himself well otherwise.

PapaJ, eastfreo75 and UFO Tatsu like this.
  18. ImperialPurple

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    That's where I think there are rules in this game where the adjudication is fundamentally flawed. Umpires have a hard enough time as it is, without having rules where they have to try and guess what a player is thinking. "Deliberate" suggests with intent - how do they know for sure that his intention wasn't to kick a goal?

Holding is holding
    A push is a push
    High tackle is high tackle (except when it's Shuey)
    OOF is OOF

Many deliberates (like the Melbourne guy who paddled it out in the 3rd quarter) are pretty clear-cut, but a lot aren't. Yeah they probably did get it right - he didn't do EVERYTHING in his power to keep it in. I mean he didn't kick the goal so the umps may as well give it to the opposition. :rolleyes:

But consistency = consistency would be nice, and maybe all these "umpire interpretations trying to guess what the player might be thinking" don't help in this area much.

FreoMonocle, PapaJ and Beak_A like this.
  19. Scham

Scham Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    West Perth
    Agree. He was very good.

elsleevador likes this.
  20. estibador

estibador purple haze

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Liverpool, Green Bay Packers
    How can it be too far out to be a realistic shot when he was within range of bouncing it through? So what would they have done if it had gone through for a goal then?

'Nope, no score - that was too far out for you to be allowed to have a shot. Free kick Melbourne'

21. yoong

yoong Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I am actually ok with Kersten's kick being pinged as deliberate. It's fair to assume that he didn't meant to kick to out to the boundary, but it did go out the boundary with no players near it with a reasonable chance to grab the ball. I think that's a fair interpretation of deliberate, without resorting to mind reading of course :D

What I couldn't handle was Brad Hill's first 50m penalty. How many times have we heard umpires telling players to keep moving back on their mark without giving them a penalty?
    With Hill it is "Brad, Brad<Beeeeeep>"
    I actually don't blame Brad for complaining.

And the worst was Fyfe being tripped with no prior opportunity being pinged with a throw right in front of goal. But to be fair, Spencer was called for a throw with no prior as well that lead to a Neale goal. At least they are consistent here. Consistently bad that is.

22. stax on the mull

stax on the mull Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Matildas
    Maybe in the situation Kersten was in - a hang time punt that goes higher than it does longer might be an option into a barren forward line.
    One where he might be able to contest it himself since the kicker has the best idea of what he's trying to do and where it might land.

general44 likes this.
  23. Scham

Scham Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    West Perth
    Yep, umpire Mitchell was dead against us all game which is surprising because he did a good job the week before. So either he's a Melb supporter, a Dogs hater or he was told to pull his head in after not giving us a rough go against the Bullies.

UFO Tatsu likes this.
  24. eastfreo75

eastfreo75 Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Was at the game on the boundary, Brad Hill wasn't over the mark and also no warning from the umpire to get back. Watts went over the mark by two metres (right in front of me and nothing. Total bs and for me it was cheating.

Lord Rod, Tonga Bob and UFO Tatsu like this.
  25. masai

masai Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    East Rottnest
    Ok, a standard has been set, that means with the open forward line setup ( at times all forwards are around the midfield ), there will be at least 4 similar occurrences, per game, this weekend.

So let us see, ................ 4 deliberates per game, multiplied by 9 games, equals 36 frees to be paid !!!!.

Pig's 'll fly, none will be paid !!!!!!.

Ripper, ImperialPurple and UFO Tatsu like this.