Autopsy Freo defeat Gold Coast by 23pts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan was excellent. Brad Hill got a lot of the ball again.

Love Brad, but he must learn to not think, just do. He sometimes zooms around all over the place, confusing the bejesus out of his team mates.

Leave all the thinking to Stephen, he is the Hill crafter.

I was impressed with Croziers first quarter. He then did some good thinga but his biggest knock is floating in and out of games. He and Suttcliffe should be given a couple of more years as depth players. If they can take a best 22 spot then great but at worst they will be solid fringe role players.

Weller and Tucker continue to develop well and show a lot of class with ball in hand.

I much prefer getting the 4 points and getting positive reinforcement into guys like Ryan, McCarthy, Weller and Logue.

Speaking of Logue, I am starting to see how good he can become. Going to be a key component of our backline for years to come.

Fyfe, Neale and the Hills back to their best but I am going to be betting on Hamling as our besy recruit of the year and also my choice for the Doig.

Pretty happy that the Bulldogs let him get to us for so little. Him and Ryan have been bargain basement buys but Hamling has been bettwr across the year.

Really enjoying this year even without racking up the wins. I am really enjoying watching the young guys improve and the game plan slowly evolve.

When we get on a run in waves our ball movement is wonderful.

(Also, who was the main caller? We have had him a few times and I have really enjoyed his balanced call of the game)

GC actually had more possessions and more inside 50's, but their tackle count was horrendously low and they applied zero defensive pressure. Our guys generally looked great with the ball but they were not facing an AFL quality defence.
Agree. There was a goal we kicked in the third? where possession chain started in front of me in 133 and we moved the ball down the field with unpressured precise kicks resulting in one of our guys running into an open goal. I was so insenced by the Sun's lack of pressure I couldn't enjoy it.

If anyone's looking forward to watching Game Day's review of the game let me spoil it for you. They spent at least 1 minute on the entire game talking about how neither team could make finals (my ladder predictor says otherwise thanks) and that GC have a dangerous forward line. Fyfe's name got mentioned for about a second. No one else played for us yesterday.

I watched the teplay last night and felt like Macpherson was best for our team after Fyfe and Ryan.

Poor guy. Felt sorry for him by the 4th. Literally nearly every touch of his 19 resulted in a direct turnover to freo. While Peaced gave gc a leg up every time he did the ol boot it to the moon and back and watch it sail back over your head for a quick rebound and goal, he had nothing on the 4quarter effort of Macpherson.

Wasn't a particularly high quality game but was still plenty to like about it from our perspective. Ryan, Logue, Hamling and Hughes are going to form a really formidable backline for years to come plus Cam looked good moving around the ground a bit more. Fyfe getting back to beast mode and marking strongly.

Geez Gold Coast seem a mess though.
Gc showed a glimpse of what wc will be like next year. A couple of good mids, great ruck and ff, good hb, but too many others are just too young, average, or both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night Gold Coast would have made anyone look good, still lots of little positives to enjoy with young players stepping up and Fyfe working back to his best.

I really hope the club decides that next season is the time to start seriously pushing for top 8, with a bit of luck with injuries and a new stadium it could be shaping up as really enjoyable year to watch footy.

Pos: We have a week off from the McCarthy/Kersten bashers. (jeez I wish they'd go away)
Neg. didn't like the comments from some about the ump. Who cares if it's a man or woman? Just looking for a good job - which she did.

Agree with the first.
For the second, I thought she was average, called a couple of frees from far away when she was not the controlling ump. Also I thought she was harsher on the "play-on not 15" calls than the usual standard.

If anyone's looking forward to watching Game Day's review of the game let me spoil it for you. They spent at least 1 minute on the entire game talking about how neither team could make finals (my ladder predictor says otherwise thanks) and that GC have a dangerous forward line. Fyfe's name got mentioned for about a second. No one else played for us yesterday.
Leigh Matthews was speaking so fast to get the review over and done with he was tripping over his own words.

A few yips with goal kicking but overall its a positive outcome with promising signs.

I think our improved movement was almost a direct result from our backline intercepting the ball and countering well.

Ryan reads the ball well in flight. Was great to see

Cam Mac looked great. He's a natural CHF and when we don't ask him to play as a stay-at-home forward he's a talent.

Luke Ryan...* me if having a beer on a 6 day break produces performances like the last two weeks someone send him a carton every week.

Good game, we were playing against a pretty average opposition and with the scoring shots we had we should've buried them, but the ball movement was good and it's another game for the kids. 30 scoring shots from 48 entries along with 12 marks inside 50 is decent efficiency, just need to replicate that against the better teams but hopefully that'll come with time and experience.

Gold Coast only really turned up for about 1/2 of that game and basically didn't tackle all game. Made us look better than we were. Also a bit of a concern that we got smashed in contested possessions. Strange game of stats. That said, a few really stood out regardless.

Ryan
Neale
Hills (even if Brad missed a few targets)
Fyfe
Hughes
Cam
Hammer

Of the older blokes, Griff competed but Currie is hardly a world beater. Ballas was good, DPearce struggled. Suban was typical Suban and Mundy was ok.

Sutcliffe barely touched it but may get away with it purely due to us having nobody left to replace him (unless we bring in a tall or upgrade a rookie). Deluca should get a free pass for Grey.

Agree with the first.
For the second, I thought she was average, called a couple of frees from far away when she was not the controlling ump. Also I thought she was harsher on the "play-on not 15" calls than the usual standard.

I thought she was ok and certainly did a better job than Margetts who it still baffles me that he's been able to put such a long career together at the top level since he really is below average at what he does. Doesn't say much for the quality underneath him I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back