Review Freo defeat the Crows at Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a bit quiet on the BigFooty front - had "life issues" (no, not like Harley Bennell!). Moving house, new dogs - had to return a puppy that didn't gel with my chihuahua, bleurgh.....you know how it is! Been a silent on the margins follower without feeling like I had too much to say that wasn't already covered.

But this game was by far my fav to watch the last 3 or so years! Enough to bring my out of my lurking phase haha. Exciting brand of footy, with a bunch of 'kids' learning their craft and getting up against an undermanned Crows. I still feared the worst, even though the Crows are slipping and have all sorts of problems themselves (Collective Minds? More like Collective Madness). Thought the Collingwood damage might have still been lingering, but the tenacity and resolve and the better skill executing got me excited about our football again. Although we need to take this platform and come again.

Can we back it up with a first win on the road? Gee, I hope so - Cox was epic (4 goals, numerous marks, tackles - including a special one hander, beautiful flick to Walters to set up that Sherro goal....a wonderful mark immediately followed by a handball off to Walters - he was ON!) and Cerra (astounding talent!) was unlucky not to snag the Rising Star, but want to pay kudos to a few unsung heroes - thought Nyhuis down back was solid and looked more confident with first team action. I think Kersten looks comfortable down back and has good footskills and decision making. It's more the defensive side of his game he needs to work on, but I like this newfangled roll for him - think it will improve him as a footballer. Ryan is just flipping wicked. Hamling defensively is so critical right now, just great awareness and composure and toughness. Brilliant!

Jones and Apeness with obvious limitations played a massive part crashing packs and getting the ball to ground; nice to see Apeness make it back (there's hope for Bennell yet!!) and Jones, although 'treacle slow" as unceremonious described by someone here did some terrific things especially in the last when we were defending for our lives! His strength is, well - his great strength! Well done to them.

Thought Giro in just game number 2 was excellent, lovely speed and awareness - very clean and composed for someone his age. Looks vibrant and bubbly, that first win must be a special feeling and will want to taste more! Love the hunger!!

And Brayshaw just looks so reliable as a midfielder doing clean things and tough-nut things. Also thought Banfield's kicking was better and was a good gutsy performance from him and the young brigade. And the older heads backed it up too. In fact a magnificent team effort and I hope that lift takes them forward into this Carlton game. And lastly Sheridan's first quarter goal was like watching a dream - unreal movement and skill to move it out to him and then snag the goal from the angle. I've watched it multiple times and done loads of fist pumps! Love it! More of this please lads - epic fought victory!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back