Analysis Freo defeated by Collingwood.- Rd 23, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Effort was there but our skills were yet again deplorable.

I don't think we learnt much from what we already knew. It was typical freo performance. Create chances but got no idea how to finish off.

5 goals in a 10 minute patch in the 1st qtr.

Then managed just 4 goals after quarter time. Not going to win much kicking 9 goals.

We took 9 Marks I50 and i think the only goal from a set shot was from fyfe 10m in front. Not including a couple of free kicks we got either.

The rest were from general play.

Cam McCarthy can make some dumb efforts and errors on a regular basis.

The play that sums him up was when he dropped a mark then missed the hand pass to brad hill. Then to complete the trifecta didn't bother to shepard and brad hill got smashed and turned it over.

Needs a big pre-season and pull his finger out. For someone who was so desperate to play freo certainly doesn't look like it at times.

With sean darcy we have been so blessed and lucky to have sandi be so great for so long. That all of sudden we have to expect oppositon ruckman to start dominating us more then we have in the past.

Hopefully another 12 months in the system with Sandi still there will help Sean's development as i think he is still 2 years before hitting his straps.

And i mentioned in the game day thread but well done to ballas on becoming the 2nd freo player after Pav to kick 250 goals.

One of Fyfe's worst games in awhile.

Can't move forward with Grey in the side. Effort is there but the skill and execution just isn't.

Ballas turned the clock back, could have had 6. Switta played a great 2nd game. Duman was excellent.

Langdon has improved so much this season. Well done to him!

Tabs was good. Hamling is so important to our side. Should be in the leadership group next year.

A 2way midfielder like Brayshaw is a requirement. Can't wait to have him back after another preseason. Cerra showed a bit but is completely cooked.

Tucker wtf!!

Ryan in instead of Kersten will be a big improvement.

McCarthy had an almost game. Needs to lean up and have a massive preseason.

Well done Johno, really great game, gave it all. Thanks for the memories.

Overall, we were competitive all game which is all I asked for. A bit of respect has been restored.

Blakely
S Hill
Luke Ryan
Brayshaw
Walters

Add them and another preseason into the kids. We've got something to work with. :)

Better effort this week.

Pity we dropped it in the end.

We need to be a little better in front of goals.

Forward structure looked better. Another preseason will improve them.

McCarthy need to put some effort in the gym and improve his skills or he might find next year his last.

Duman and Swit were good.

Love Grey in patches, hope he gets another contract.

Johno great game. You've been a champ.

Good effort and intensity. Lack of class and skill cost us. The team defence was fantastic but I don’t see it as sustainable through a whole season and won’t win us a flag.

Happy to give credit to the club leadership and player group for the way they regrouped and responded with character against an in form top 4 side after a deplorable loss and week of being pilloried.
Great character, great resolve, courage and promise.
Plenty of individual performances were encouraging.
Especially happy for Hughes in case there was any doubt about another contract.
Barra and Cleaver were a bit down on normal output.
Missed the win but plenty to like for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry can't agree about Grey . He had a couple of very special moments today... one in the centre one on the wing/half forward.

More than enough to work with.
Grey had a couple of coach killers though, one with 3 players on each side of him at half forward and instead of hitting one of our guys with a running shot at goal handballs to a Magpie and they get a goal up the other end (12 pt turnaround).

Also Cox had a nightmare of a game, flies for everything but couldn't catch a cold.

Not to point out because he wasnt the worst on the field but Fyfe had a shocker. Its like he tries to hard to make a presence on the game. I'm not much of a coach or anything but that's what I saw

Fyfe with the perfect imitation of Liam Ryan today. Did nothing to be in the contest, wasn't clean under pressure, mindlessly jumped at the ball but kicked goals 10 meters out.

Grey is often incredibly inspirational but overall he is not AFL quality. His fumbles, poor options and disposal errors outweigh his special contested moments early in games.
In an effort based team he is great to have, but if we are moving away from that type of team then we need to move to more skillful players.

Pretty happy with that one. Desperately needed to show something to give some hope for next year. Loved Brad and Langdon on the wings. Duman looks a solid citizen at worst as well for next year and Swita has a bit to work with.

Was very typical of us though. Good team defence and effort but our skills continually let us down and we too often reverted back into our shell. It's gotta improve or we'll be an 'almost team' once again even if we get back into the finals.

McCarthy, Grey, Tucker and Hughes are all going to struggle to make it imo.

Also, stunned that Mayne was booed. Gave everything for the club (even if it wasn't enough at the end) and it was pretty obvious at the end of the game as he left his own team and got around our boys that he still cares very deeply about Freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back